• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] Dead Island 2 is ALIVE! (It has been 7 years since its announcement)

Are you still excited for Dead Island 2

• Yes

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • No, Dying Light has replaced it for me

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 30 39.5%

• Total voters

Anime-Vix

1. Release might be Q4 2022 or early 2023
  2. Game is in a pretty decent state
  3. Multiple Locales (Leak primarily from the 'Beverly Hills or similar area' Setting)
  4. Gameplay similar to original Dead Island with the "expected improvements"
  5. Some minor plot spoilers in Video
Wonder if they'll honor the beta for those who bought Escape from Dead Island lol

Pejo

I hated the parkour stuff in Dying Light, and I wasn't particularly fond of the added hordes they added at all times in Riptide even.

Dead Island (the OG) was a unique zombie RPG that let you kinda plan things out, taking things at your own pace and was a ton of fun playing Co-Op with my gf. None of these other games really matched what it did right.

Hope they take that into consideration with Dead Island 2 if this news is true and give us more of a "zombie fallout" again instead of endless horde mode.

MiguelItUp

Dead Island was janky AF, but man was it fun. Considering how long this has been in development, I really wonder how it's going to feel. I can't help but think it'll feel dated, much like Dying Light 2 did/does as it was in development for so long.

If DI2 is anything like the first, but more ridiculous, etc. I guess it could be some dumb fun!

jim carrey GIF

Starcheif

I am a fan of Dead Island! it was loads of fun playing with friends. I hope it turns out great and continues the story line from the first game.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Well how about that.
I'm really not sure what they can offer me when Dying Light's on the market, but it looks like they've won over some people here. Makes sense that not everyone wants parkour. It disappoints me that Dead Island takes the comedic approach to zombies though, I really prefer grittier experiences. Comedy zombie games are a dime a dozen. In the end though, it's the gameplay that'll matter most.

Warablo

I just don't see how this gains a audience when Dying Light is better in everyway with parkour. Dead Island only had its location as a positive. Seems like Dead Island 2 location will be decent too in Beverly Hills. I guess scavenging and exploring rich streets/houses sounds okay.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an Embracer earnings presentation on Thursday, the host of a Q&A session commented on recent conjecture about whether the game was still alive or not, before speculating that they believe it will be released during the company’s next fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2023.

“It very clearly is [still alive], and I at least expect the release this financial year, or sorry next financial year I should say,” said Oscar Erixon, equity research analyst at Carnegie. “So, is that reasonable and what can we expect from a title that has been in development for probably 10 years or so?”

Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors responded: “I can’t talk about Dead Island 2 because it’s not announced as such from the publisher. But we have just talked about [that] we have one unannounced AAA title… that you think is Dead Island 2, so it’s hard for me to comment further on that.

“But I am excited about unannounced titles,” he added with a laugh.

“Great, I’m excited you’re excited,” the host responded, leading to more laughter from Wingefors.

While not confirming anything directly, the exchange gave off the impression that Dead Island 2’s release may finally be on the horizon.

wipeout364

I would be up for a new dead island, but not with that stupid approach we were shown a few years ago, if I want comedy mixed with zombies I will play dead rising.. Dying light is an amazing game; so comparisons will be vicious, the developers better bring their A game.

I would be up for a new dead island, but not with that stupid approach we were shown a few years ago, if I want comedy mixed with zombies I will play dead rising.. Dying light is an amazing game; so comparisons will be vicious, the developers better bring their A game.

I'm assuming you never played Dead Island 1 and it's semi sequel Dead Island Riptide if you're saying this? Dead Island was always somewhat light hearted in tone.

wipeout364

I'm assuming you never played Dead Island 1 and it's semi sequel Dead Island Riptide if you're saying this? Dead Island was always somewhat light hearted in tone.
I played both but do not remember them being like that version shown by Jager. I don’t really remember them being that light hearted, they were not horror/scary but they also were not a farce like that jager game looked like it was going to be.

Compared to this:

jaysius

Banned
Doubting Tomas FTL, why does anyone post this clowns shit? He's almost worst than Schrierer.

That game has been in development for too long, so many mechanics have been innovated since the project started, it'll be brutal for them to shoehorn all the newer things into the game in order for it not to be DOA.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
...what? The story seems pretty serious to me.

Denton

It is obvious this game was reworked several times and the Dambuster game will not have much in common with Yager or Sumo stuff beyond the obvious (setting, base gameplay).

Dambuster created the awesome Homefront Revolution (yes, the patched up PC version is awesome, fuck the launch reviews) so I am quite optimistic that it will be good.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent episode of the Sacred Symbols podcast, host Colin Moriarty shared that he has heard that Dead Island 2 could end up being re-revealed and soon after released at a time in 2022. Moriarty cited his own anonymous that are said to have knowledge of Dead Island 2 and its development. As for when the game could end up being released, Moriarty said that September or October of 2022 could be when the game would launch "at the soonest." If this comes to fruition, a re-reveal of the title would then be expected to happen in the summer.

SALMORE

i loved the original to death i even prefer it over dying light ! can't wait to finally see this one in action

In a recent episode of the Sacred Symbols podcast, host Colin Moriarty shared that he has heard that Dead Island 2 could end up being re-revealed and soon after released at a time in 2022. Moriarty cited his own anonymous that are said to have knowledge of Dead Island 2 and its development. As for when the game could end up being released, Moriarty said that September or October of 2022 could be when the game would launch "at the soonest." If this comes to fruition, a re-reveal of the title would then be expected to happen in the summer.

comicbook is not a legit site. they post tons of fake shit and hope some of them pan out. Also I heard from my very own sources that I cannot mention, that Dead Island 2 is now a visual novel.

VN1X

Banned
Really hope this is still close to what they showed off before. Looked like a lot of dumb fun set in a sunny and colourful environment. What's not to love?

Last edited:

Irobot82

I played both but do not remember them being like that version shown by Jager. I don’t really remember them being that light hearted, they were not horror/scary but they also were not a farce like that jager game looked like it was going to be.

Compared to this:

Too this day! That Dead Island 1 trailer is one of the best ever made.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Id love a big write up about what happened to this game. It was announced, what, fucking 8 years ago? Thats quite some time to be stuck in development hell

Top Bottom