• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 Favourite Video Game Subtitles

Something which has fallen out of favour in recent times has been the use of video game subtitling and I wanted to shine some light on the topic before we resort to mundane numbers. Subtitles were a way to catch the attention of the gaming public through long and convoluted words which evoked both confusion and intrigue, a way to make sure they would remember a product when it hit the local GameStop and to look cool on a billboard at the same time. But their purpose wasn't merely to tempt new gamers into purchasing a recent title, they would also act as a small preview for fans to ascertain plot points before the wider promotional campaign began. And even though they're being ditched for traditional numbers due to being more simpler and less confusing for newer games, I still feel they shouldn't be forgotten.

Share some of those favourites in the comments below with a maximum of three selections.

Mine:

Max Payne 2 - The Fall of Max Payne

Max_Payne_2.jpg

SPOILER ALERT! The main character of Max Payne actually doesn't die, it was most likely meant to refer to his continued downward spiral after the death of his family. I always had a feeling the developers copied The Godfather III as it was originally supposed to be titled 'The Death of Michael Corleone' but was refused by Paramount. I can only imagine the uproar when everybody thought Remedy killed off a popular character after one game back in the day.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

artworks-000638967718-f1kkeq-t500x500.jpg
R-2397068-1296653813.jpeg.jpg

Castlevania has to make this thread as somebody at Konami is obsessed with giving subtitles to this series. Symphony of the Night has to my favourite, it sounds equal parts smooth and slick whilst evoking sounds of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. And it's not surprising as the white distant sphere is showcased on the cover artwork, the European version with the castle silhouetted against the moonlight being the superior version.

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

tenchu-wrath-of-heaven-ps2.jpg

I've never actually played this game but the name sounds absolutely badass. Usually we hear tales about Hell being a place of wrath and pain, but when heaven brings the heat then it's definitely serious.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Legend of Zelda
x______________________

Big fan of "Breath of the Wild" outstanding name, for gaming to get open world, the subtitle fits right in there.

SinDelta

My picks-
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings

Honorable Mentions
Dragon Quest XI S: Echos of an Elusive Age
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Last edited:

SinDelta

e-z4SG_Nu3Ud9v56x6By09CjtPUuD4pZSYGOcrOWarRIbL42YK6M4ZnhpqFfoEmzVJFG38VaN9hdYQ-LQz9wx0E39nrshJLBNVXqx3exAnuw61CnYu6_lD3-AU6BPR7PKG-wEJGENMy7zNoML88O6cbYyzsxsV068qzvsPy_7kxCP43o9lUXNeO7PbWY69MwNb0In8J75DbN8g

That sounds cool as a moth*****ker and I've never played a Dragon Quest game. I'm amazed Square has two successful JRPG franchises.
Dragon Quest XI S manages to stand alongside Chrono Trigger and Ocarina of Time for me. One of the outright best RPGs and games ever made.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a remake of a PS2 game, but also amazing.

Last edited:

Bakkus

e-z4SG_Nu3Ud9v56x6By09CjtPUuD4pZSYGOcrOWarRIbL42YK6M4ZnhpqFfoEmzVJFG38VaN9hdYQ-LQz9wx0E39nrshJLBNVXqx3exAnuw61CnYu6_lD3-AU6BPR7PKG-wEJGENMy7zNoML88O6cbYyzsxsV068qzvsPy_7kxCP43o9lUXNeO7PbWY69MwNb0In8J75DbN8g

That sounds cool as a moth*****ker and I've never played a Dragon Quest game. I'm amazed Square has two successful JRPG franchises.
FF was Squaresoft, DQ was Enix, two different companies, until they merged to Square Enix, so your phrasing is misleading. Or maybe you didn't know.

My favorite subtitles has already been mentioned. 3D Zelda games all have great subtitles with the exception of SS which is meh.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Tearaway Unfolded

613klYyahaS._SX385_.jpg

It was just Tearaway on the Vita and than it "unfolded" on the PS4 with new aditions to the game.
Such a cool game and a good extension of the original title.

South Park The Fractured But Whole

capsule_616x353.jpg

I just like how they play with words here. The title is crazy and so is the game.

Dead Or Alive Extreme 3 Fortune

220px-DeadOrAliveXtreme3.jpg

The word extreme in the title doesn't even cover how far the game goes out of the way to not be a fighting game.

Nice topic!

Last edited:
“I think it’s time I earned some respect don’t you think, Legend of Zelda? More like Legend of Link!”
-Smosh

Tearaway Unfolded
613klYyahaS._SX385_.jpg

It was just Tearaway on the Vita and than it "unfolded" on the PS4 with new aditions to the game.
Such a cool game and a good extension of the original title.

Nice topic!

South Park The Fractured But Whole

capsule_616x353.jpg

I just like how they play with words here. The title is crazy and so is the game.

Dead Or Alive Extreme 3 Fortune

220px-DeadOrAliveXtreme3.jpg

The word extreme in the title doesn't even cover how far the game goes out of the way to not be a fighting game.

Nice topic!
Fractured Butthole has to be one of the most creative and amusing subtitle I’ve ever heard of. The Stick Of Truth didn’t have the same ring to it.
I (of course) love the Deux Ex subtitles

HUMAN REVOLUTION
deus-ex-human-revolution.jpg

and

MANKIND DIVIDED
33b74a0527dae6af58431322dc688b0581461c37.jpg
Human Revolution sounded cool but Mankind Divided was generic as all hell. What you should have gone with was Invisible War which is awesome on multiple levels.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
I was going to submit this one but noticed I already had a Konami game so I went with another.

All Kingdom Heart games.
I mean only a genius can name a game "358/2 Days"
Genius? More like an idiot. That title sounds stupid. Then again, so are most Kingdom Hearts games.

Last edited:

BlackTron

These happen to be a few of my favorite games of all time, but just in terms of the subtitle I think my top picks are Ocarina of Time and Symphony of the Night.

Bankai

Human Revolution sounded cool but Mankind Divided was generic as all hell. What you should have gone with was Invisible War which is awesome on multiple levels.

Yeah I totally forgot about that one :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You're right, Invisible War is an awesome subtitle. Unfortunately, it's probably the best thing about that game. I was really disappointed with its dumbed-down gameplay when I played it back in the day. especially on Xbox with its atrocious framerate.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Always liked the Japanese title for Virtue's Last Reward.

Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die.

The implication of positive actions in human interaction won't benefit you in any way and you will perish even if you're a kind person.

Yeah I totally forgot about that one :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You're right, Invisible War is an awesome subtitle. Unfortunately, it's probably the best thing about that game. I was really disappointed with its dumbed-down gameplay when I played it back in the day. especially on Xbox with its atrocious framerate.
There was supposed to be another game in the series back in the day, but for one reason or another it was a spiritual successor and not an actual sequel.

220px-Projectsnowblind.jpg

Always liked the Japanese title for Virtue's Last Reward.

Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die.

The implication of positive actions in human interaction won't benefit you in any way and you will perish even if you're a kind person.
That’s some straight up Engrish right there lol.

Last edited:

marley_yo

Banned
A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a 3rd person action-adventure title from Respawn. An abandoned Padawan must complete his training, develop new powerful Force abilities, and master the art of the lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire.

73ja6yi6a2741.jpg

A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a 3rd person action-adventure title from Respawn. An abandoned Padawan must complete his training, develop new powerful Force abilities, and master the art of the lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire.

73ja6yi6a2741.jpg
What was the order that fell though? I’ve never been into Star Wars games.

Top Bottom