• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba 62HM196 Good for gaming? ($300 off @ Costco this week)

I'd like to pick up a 1080p TV mainly for use with xbox 360 gaming, PS3 gaming, PS3 Blu-Ray playing and DVD playing.

Right now Costco has the Toshiba 62HM196 for $1999.99 with coupon.

Can I get some opinions on this? I've had two DLPs and I know there is no burn-in issues. They also don't have the visible pixel 'screen door-effect' which I don't really like. A downside is no VGA input. But it does have two component and two HDMI inputs.

It comes with a stand that I don't want to use since it is so low.

Any opinions people?

Does it give full 1920 x 1080p performance?

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=62hm196

does the hdmi do 1920x1080 via dvi-hdmi with a pc?

Costco has good deals...last week they had the 47 inch vizio 1080p lcd panel for 1650...I almost pulled trigger but my other new display is fine so will wait till new models ship....the new samsung dlps wont need lamp replacements due to LED tech. Those come out soon.

Kittonwy

Banned
speculawyer said:
I'd like to pick up a 1080p TV mainly for use with xbox 360 gaming, PS3 gaming, PS3 Blu-Ray playing and DVD playing.

Can I get some opinions on this? I've had two DLPs and I know there is no burn-out issues. They also don't have the visible pixel 'screen door-effect' which I don't really like. A downside is no VGA input. But it does have two component and two HDMI inputs.

Any opinions people?

It's a good deal, on the other hand I'm not much of a fan of DLPs.

rage1973

Get the Samsung 6187. The VGA works beautifully with 360 and I can enjoy 1080P goodness from the HD DVD drive. Samsung makes the best DLP as far as picture quality in my opinion.

rage1973 said:
Get the Samsung 6187. The VGA works beautifully with 360 and I can enjoy 1080P goodness from the HD DVD drive. Samsung makes the best DLP as far as picture quality in my opinion.

is your vga at 1080p?

Kittonwy said:
It's a good deal, on the other hand I'm not much of a fan of DLPs.

Meh, DLPs have become MUCH better in the past couple years. The single chip designs suffered from the "rainbow effect", but you don't have to worry about that with the newer sets. And if it doesn't bother you that it's not as thin as LCD or Plasma, I say go for it. It's a good deal.

speculawyer said:

Can I get some opinions on this? I've had two DLPs and I know there is no burn-in issues. They also don't have the visible pixel 'screen door-effect' which I don't really like. A downside is no VGA input. But it does have two component and two HDMI inputs.

It comes with a stand that I don't want to use since it is so low.

Any opinions people?

Does it give full 1920 x 1080p performance?

looks like pricegrabber.com lists places where you can have it delivered to your house for less than 1800.00.

heavy liquid said:
Meh, DLPs have become MUCH better in the past couple years. The single chip designs suffered from the "rainbow effect", but you don't have to worry about that with the newer sets. And if it doesn't bother you that it's not as thin as LCD or Plasma, I say go for it. It's a good deal.

The 'rainbow effect' has never bothered me . . . the only time I see some kind of rainbow effect is if I move my eyes quickly . . . which is not something I generally do when watching TV.

The thickness is a little annoying. I'd like to mount something on the wall, but with this thing being 18" deep, the closest I could come would be a (strong) shelf mounted to the wall. Something that is thin, 1080p, and near that size would be around double in price.

Hmmm . . . .

LJ11

heavy liquid said:

Today's DLP's are still single chip.

JB1981

heavy liquid said:
Meh, DLPs have become MUCH better in the past couple years. The single chip designs suffered from the "rainbow effect", but you don't have to worry about that with the newer sets.

This may be true for some but I can assure you I see rainbows like mad with the latest DLPs. There's been very little improvement in this area (imo), or I'd very likely own one (I'd just need to see if i could live with sse and overscan).

stolin

Be careful with this set. I was so close to picking one up until I uncovered the specs by e-mailing Toshiba engineers. This is NOT a real 1080P set.

They marketing and labels says it is. It doesn not accept 1080P input. Only a max 1080i input and then upconverts to 1080P output.

Just be warned and do your research.

stolin said:
They marketing and labels says it is. It doesn not accept 1080P input. Only a max 1080i input and then upconverts to 1080P output.

Close the thread, this thing possible purchase is not gonna happen.

Someone should file a class action lawsuit against companies saying 1080p that don't accept 1080p input.

In my research of Toshiba Televisions, I'vecome across the same info others have mentioned; almost all Toshiba 1080p televisions do not accept 1080p signals, merely upconvert them. The only one I found to accept a 1080p signal is their highest-end LCD, Cinema Series Pro.

Top Bottom