• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for Asteroid City, Wes Anderson's new film. Schwartzman, Hanks, Johansson, Cranston and more. Coming June 2023

DKehoe

ASTEROID CITY takes place in a fictional American desert town circa 1955. The itinerary of a Junior Stargazer/Space Cadet convention (organized to bring together students and parents from across the country for fellowship and scholarly competition) is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events. ASTEROID CITY is only in theaters June 16th.

SJRB

Gold Member
I swear to god I saw a bunch of AI-generated "Wes Anderson movie stills" posts on Reddit that looked insanely similar to this just a few weeks ago.

Anyway, movie seems too weird for my tastes. Like a weird fever dream. But that Scarlett Johansson. God damn.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Interesting release date, too. Wes going for box office glory!

The films are nothing alike, but I sincerely hope it hurts Indy 5 which releases a few weeks later. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kwaide

Neo Member
When I first saw it I thought it was a parody of Wes Anderson movie. Still plan on seeing it adventurally.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
That's an insane cast. I have to think at this point a lot of big actors are willing to take small parts for little money just to work on a Wes Anderson film.

It feels like an off kilter real life adaptation of societal effects from Mars Attack or something. In.

R.311737df8b5f573ceefe9d7c356958ec

DKehoe

That's an insane cast. I have to think at this point a lot of big actors are willing to take small parts for little money just to work on a Wes Anderson film.
Ed Norton has talked about how little he gets paid to do Wes Anderson's stuff, to the extent that he loses money by doing them, and that the commercials he does are to allow him to do projects like that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That's certainly a stacked cast but I can't be the only one who felt like this was a parody of a Wes Anderson film. Like the characters are always the "same." I'll still check it out because TENNANBAUMS is one of my favorite comedies, but boy does this guy have a schtick.

Last edited:

Lasha

Ed Norton has talked about how little he gets paid to do Wes Anderson's stuff, to the extent that he loses money by doing them, and that the commercials he does are to allow him to do projects like that.

How does he lose money?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I honestly thought Shwartzman said Schwarzenegger there. "Wow, what a crazy cast, I thought."

Anyway, purely based on the (real) cast list, I'll skip the trailer and go in blind on this one, with a cast like that it'll be the kind of film that you'll know if it's any good well before you choose to watch it or not.

Kenpachii

No clue what the movie is about after watching the trailer. But colors look great and i like the setup so will watch.

eye__writ

Banned
That sounds like nonsense. A nice addition to the Wes Anderson mystique though.

Trilobit

I love Wes Anderson. But with that said, at this point I would like to see him try to make a "normal" movie. He has almost become a slave to his gimmicks. A normal WA film would still have weirdness, but it'd also move him in a more interesting direction. I'd feel more interested in the characters again at the very least.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This just looks like the same Wes Anderson shit he does in every movie. It's played out at this point, he needs a new shtick. I like some of his movies but they all land on this spectrum of "Wes Anderson" to "Wes Anderson"
Praise Jeebus! Sounds right up my alley! I'll go watch it.

Last edited:
This just looks like the same Wes Anderson shit he does in every movie. It's played out at this point, he needs a new shtick. I like some of his movies but they all land on this spectrum of "Wes Anderson" to "Wes Anderson"

Unfortunately, I have to agree - and this comes from a big Wes Anderson fan.

Listen, he's made some great movies (Rushmore, The life Aquatic, The royal tenembaums and Grand Budapest hotel are my absolute favorites) but like you said, his schtick has ran a little long in the tooth - I had to turn off the French dispatch after 40 minutes 'cause I couldn't watch it anymore, it was way, way, way, way more of the same/his usual schtick that I just said "fuck this", his typical "look at how everything I do is soooo endearing/cute and everyone's a weirdo" thing not only has gotten boring but also insufferable.

I haven't seen yet Asteroid city but if it's anything like his last movie I think I'll pass.

There's nothing wrong with having a specific aesthetic for your work(s), the problem arises when you don't diversify enough that after a certain point everything starts feeling the same.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ah man.

I read the title as....

Trailer for Asteroid City, Wes Anderson's new film. Schwarzenegger, Hanks, Johansson, Cranston and more. Coming June 2023​

He always had that style but he's become a parody of himself lately. Couldn't make it through ten minutes of The French Dispatch. The humor dried up, too.

Billbofet

I agree he has become a parody of himself. His movies are technically great, but so sterile and unfunny to me.
Sadly, I feel this is where Taika Waititi is headed or already has arrived at.

Pimpollo818

this was pretty disappointing, both my partner and I snoozed at different points.

That said, there is 1 standout moment that I loved (the alien reveal). The music and stop motion was awesome.

CGNoire

I agree he has become a parody of himself. His movies are technically great, but so sterile and unfunny to me.
This.

Taika garnered my interest for a shorttime before Love and Thunder and I still find the man himself interesting but after seeing that abomination I just cant muster anymore confidence in his future projects. Talk about someones career jumping the shark. Good thing he never got to touch Akira.

DKehoe

I really enjoyed this piece on the film.

I disagree about them being sterile. Obviously a huge amount of thought goes into how they're made, you can see that in things like shot construction, costumes, blocking and how the dialogue is written and delivered so tightly. So with that there could be a risk there with his films feeling totally artificial and constructed like some doll's house rather than something that feels real. But I think they also have in them these moments of real emotion, and often melancholy, that makes the humanity there shine through even more. Stuff like the ending of The Grand Budapest Hotel

Obviously it's just a matter of opinion though. So fair enough if you do feel that's the case.

I get that his work isn't for everyone. But if nothing else it feels distinctly his and I appreciate that at a time when it feels like the edges are being sanded off so many of the films studios are putting out.

Toons

I enjoyed this one. I liked the performances and the cwndid look at various topics. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't enjoy this but I though it was interesting.

This.

Taika garnered my interest for a shorttime before Love and Thunder and I still find the man himself interesting but after seeing that abomination I just cant muster anymore confidence in his future projects. Talk about someones career jumping the shark. Good thing he never got to touch Akira.

Same

He screwed up my favorite Thor Comic storyline. Thor Love And Thunder should have been much darker and should have had more Gorr The God Butcher. I'm still salty about this movie lol

DKehoe

Apologies for the bump to people who aren't bothered about this but I really enjoyed this perspective on the film

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I actually watched the movie this week and enjoyed it. Probably don't know what it is saying, I think it is about grief, but the movie was entertaining.

jonnyp

It's at least a bit more entertaining and charming than the awful French Dispatch but it's still just stylized nonsense. Wes needs to remove himself from his own ass for his next project.

DKehoe

I actually watched the movie this week and enjoyed it. Probably don't know what it is saying, I think it is about grief, but the movie was entertaining.

Only seeing this now but if you’re looking for something to sink your teeth into in terms of what the film is about I’d recommend giving that video I posted above a watch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom