• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Transformers,' 'My Little Pony' and More to be Showcased at 3 Day Hasbro Convemtion

KSweeley

Link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...wcased-at-three-day-hasbro-convention-1005622

The first 'HASCON FANmily' event will take place in Rhode Island this September.

Hasbro Inc. has some of the biggest brands — and most dedicated fans — with properties including Transformers, G.I. Joe and My Little Pony in its portfolio. This September, the company will celebrate its success with the launch of the first-ever convention dedicated exclusively to Hasbro properties, with a number of fan-favorite special guests.

The three-day HASCON FANmily event will take place Sept. 8-10 at the Rhode Island Convention Center and Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, with guests including Transformers producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Transformers voice talent Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic voice talent Andrea Libman and Cathy Weseluck.

"Hasbro constantly strives for new ways to bring our storytelling to life and offer fans greater access to our brands, and HASCON is designed to bring attendees closer to Hasbro's biggest properties than ever before," Hasbro President John Frascotti said in a statement. "We are assembling the ultimate fan celebration, with three days of marquee talent, interactive activities, immersive experiences, game events, panel discussions, VIP events and much more. We're set to deliver an unforgettable experience for fans and families alike."

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauren...o-launch-its-own-fan-convention/#6d2c22e31ed4

Massive toy seller Hasbro is getting into the event business. Today, the company opened ticket sales for Hascon FANmily (get it?), a convention to be held in Providence, Rhode Island on September 8-10, 2017.

The three-day fan convention will include all the attractions subculture buffs have begun to expect from such events, including meet and greets with Marvel's Stan Lee and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, producer of all the Transformers films. Also Chewbacca Mom, if you're into that.

Conventions, once the domain of fan volunteers, are increasingly corporate-run, as NPR noted in a 2014 report. Comic-Con, a group of North American fan events that originated with one convention in San Diego, have become synonymous with popular culture in recent years. Event planning is difficult, as highly-visible fan-run catastrophe Dashcon 2014 demonstrated. Now, many fans are more comfortable entrusting their cash and security to seasoned corporations.

As corporations control more of the convention landscape, the fan-run conventions that remain are the ones that are run like businesses, too. Anime Expo, the largest U.S. anime convention, is a non-profit that employs 30 full-time employees.

Hasbro is its own authority on its many intellectual properties, and there's no doubt that Nerf, My Little Pony, and G.I. Joe will be huge draws for families.

Single day tickets are available for $30 for youth up to age 15 and $60 for adults. Three-day tickets range from $75 for youth to $165 for adults, with VIP packages for the most ambitious collectors.

Website for Hasbro's convention: https://hascon.hasbro.com/

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
This is basically Hasbro's replacement for Botcon, which was the Transformers convention, since they cut ties with Fun Publications which managed it. I don't know how well combining all their various cons into one will work. Like, there's no doubt some crossover, but I think the target audience for Botcon is probably different than for a My Little Pony or Nerf convention.

Glowsquid

I don't live anywhere Rhodes Island, but if I did, I'd go there if only to ask if Hasbro still has the Vor-Tech cartoon

Lucario

Charging $60 a day for a promotional con that's 1/4th the floorspace of pax is really weird. Other cons in that tiny convention center are like $10 or $20.

Was gonna go to play in the magic anniversary prerelease, but minimum $120 for one event is a joke.

Top Bottom