• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion Preview

Computer & VIdeogames (CVG) said:
Trauma Center: Second Opinion - a surgery sim that has gamers performing operations - usually gets buried under the mountain of hype for Zelda, Mario and other big-shot titles. But after an extended hands-on session, we discovered a title that's so inventive, intuitive and outright fun that it deserves to be on everyone's Wii wish list.

Trauma Center originated on DS, where gamers used the stylus to perform surgical operations on ill or wounded patients within a strict time limit. It sounds odd, we admit, but its extreme challenge (it's one of the toughest games on DS) and magnificent sense of satisfaction made it an underground gems. Second Opinion for the Wii is essentially a remake of the DS game, taking the same formula but enhancing it with the Wii's unique control system.

Advertisement:It's almost as if the Wii controller and Nunchuk was designed specifically for this game. The two work together as well as Super Mario 64 did with the N64 controller, and it perfectly demonstrates the capabilities of the Wii controller.

You play the game using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk configuration. The Wii Remote acts like the stylus on the DS version; using the Remote's pointer functionality, you move a small reticule around the screen to slice, stitch, inject or use any of the tools at your disposal.

So, for example, if you have the scalpel selected you point the remote at the incision line, press and hold the B trigger to apply the blade to the patient and move the remote to slice. But even more impressive, the game uses the buttons on remote in ways to enhance the feeling of using each tool. For example, clamping an object with the forceps requires you to push both the A (on the top of the remote) and the B buttons. Genius.

Equipping your tools is done with the analogue stick on the Nunchuk expansion. The tool icons are arranged in a circle on the lower left corner of the screen. To equip a tool you simply push the analogue stick on the Nunchuk in the direction of the tool in that circle. This means that, unlike the DS game, which had you selecting tools with your stylus, you never have to divert your operating remote away from the patient.

After a few operations you begin to learn which directions bring up specific tools, and you'll be flicking the analogue stick rapidly, switching tools without even looking at the icons. This instantaneous speed introduces new possibilities over the DS version. In one operation, we had to burn away small boils with the laser, but they would almost instantly start bleeding. On the DS, you would have needed to drain the blood after each boil before applying the antidote fluid to cure them. But on the Wii version you can flick between the laser and the antidote rapidly, lasering and curing boils so fast they don't even get the chance to bleed.

We had concerns about the Wii remote's accuracy, because we know through playing the DS version that precise application of the tools, particularly the scalpel, forceps and laser is essential. The slightest slip could injure your patient. But believe us - quash all your concerns now because we had no problem whatsoever making tiny movements on screen with absolute precision. The stitching has been massively improved, with the bad gesture recognition of the DS version now refined to 100 percent reliability.

And if you're thinking that having played the DS version will make playing this pointless, you're wrong. Yes, this is a remake, but there will be so many new features that it's hardly the same at all. There's a new playable character with all new operations (including new operation types that you never saw on DS), and even multiple difficulty options, for those who couldn't quite reach the NINJA level of skill required to get anywhere in the DS game.

Second Opinion is due to launch alongside the Wii on December 8. Ignore your preconceptions and swallow your gaming pride. Put down the first-person shooters and urban granny-punching games that your mates think are cool and give this a go. Believe us - it's brilliant.

Thanks to CVG & GoNintendo. Discuss.

CorwinB

I found 2 flaws in the briliant DS version :
1) too many
GUILT
surgeries
2) the difficulty level, especially for a game that is very loaded emotionally ("Don't you dare die on me, you bastard !")

Seems that the Wii version solves both problems. I'm probably looking at another Day 1 purchase (is it day 1 in EU as well, btw ?)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
WOW. If this review was meant to hype the game...it worked. I went from semi-interest to I-might-actually-ask-for-it for Christmas!

The confirmations about the wiimote's accuracy is pleasing, as well as the implementation of the different types of control. That forceps thing is brilliant.

the DS version was very good, but I wish they they wouldn't have brought in fictional diseases. Since this is a remake it'll have those same diseases, hopefully it's more balanced out.

Prospero

Since I wasn't satisfied with the DS version's sketchy controls (and we can admit now that the DS controls weren't the best), it's good to hear that the Wii version has apparently fixed that.

I started playing the DS version a few days ago, I'm enjoying it a lot (Chapter 2 now), but it can get hard/frustrating at time.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Prospero said:
Since I wasn't satisfied with the DS version's sketchy controls (and we can admit now that the DS controls weren't the best), it's good to hear that the Wii version has apparently fixed that.

What? The only problem I've heard is the magnification tool, which reads C's instead of circles. But other than that, I don't see how there are any other control issues with the DS version.

If the DS version didn't have the whole GUILT storyline, the game would've been pretty boring/repetitive IMO. Just look at it as a fast paced puzzle game instead of some ultra realistic operation sim, and have fun =P

SumGamer

Ummm wait a minute. December 8? I thought it will be out at 19th, no? Am I missing something?
NVM, 8 Dec is EU release date :S

Zeed

Banned
Andonuts said:
man that was the best part of the DS game.
Then you'll love this game.

It has three difficulty settings to please the wusses, the DS game vets, and the hardcore masochists.

newsguy

Dammit I don't want a Wii. I know that it will be just like the DS for me, I will play a couple of great games on it and skip anything else cause I'm a graphics whore. The thing is... I ****ing love this title. Like CorwinB said, you have an emotional tie to some of these patients
Little girl dying of a heart attack anyone?
and it enhances the game experience like nothing else. So essentially the question is would I spend $300 to play this on my HDTV, and the answer could very well be YES. Damn you Trauma Center... Damn you.

Emotions

Zelda, Metal Slug, Trauma Center, Excite Truck & Monkey Ball for me this year along with my Wii.
I <<<<3 trauma center.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Emotions said:
Zelda, Metal Slug, Trauma Center, Excite Truck & Monkey Ball for me this year along with my Wii.
I <<<<3 trauma center.
You can't go wrong with that line-up sir!

Fusebox

Banned
I read in another preview that they've reduced the accuracy required to complete procedures, I wonder if he's confusing controller accuracy with an much increased forgiveness over the DS version, but then the way he's worded it suggests otherwise.

KoffiiKat

Sounds like I'll skip the DS version and get this one sooner rather than later. :)

Another thing that would be cool would be if they made a M*A*S*H version of TC (featuring the cast from the first three seasons - anything else would be heresy) with voice acting and music from the series ...but I digress. :lol

rockmero

I´m sorry about this off topic but I can´t publish a new topic. If you publish this topic for me I will be very grateful to you.

This petition is about Wii Region Free.

"To Nintendo of Europe, Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Japan:

Recently it has been announced that Nintendo Wii will have Region Protection. This fact has produced an enormous displeasure to the consumers, persons that has been faithful to Nintendo, buying their gaming consoles and games. This is the reason why we want to express our displeasure, annoyance and disappointment.

Nintendo competitors (Sony and Microsoft) have announced that their consoles will be Region Free and this is a big advantage compared to Nintendo Wii.

We would like to have the possibility of enjoying videogames that won't be released in our region, a big number of them as you know. It's completely compressible that it's not economically affordable to distribute them in our territory but as we are in a global market, we'd like to have the possibility to play the same games as the rest of the world.

At the same time you have recently communicated that Virtual Console will be Region Protected too. We are very unpleased with that decision as we'd like to play to all those games that have never been released in Europe, including some of the best games ever

Maybe the reason for that decision is that our market is not a big one for those Japanese and American titles but we think we have demonstrated that we Europeans are very interested in innovative and different products. You can easy check it looking at Nintendo DS sales or analyzing how big is the import market of foreign videogames.

With this Petition we wish to make you reconsider your decisions and to give us the opportunity we have been waiting for long time. Just play all the games available for our System, we mean, enjoy the Nintendo Wii as much as we can.

Sincerely,
European and South American consumers."

http://www.petitiononline.com/wii1234/petition.html

Thank you for your support and please sing it! I think that every nintendo fans will win with this.

Please, Open a new topic with this, I can´t make it. I´m sorry.

rockmero

Scalemail Ted said:
You interuppt a perfectly good thread about an Atlus game with an onilne petition to Nintendo?

I´m sorry I don´t know the reason but I can´t open a new topic. Please open a new topic with this information.

CorwinB

rockmero said:
I´m sorry I don´t know the reason but I can´t open a new topic. Please open a new topic with this information.

I think Junior Members can't create new topics. This is no reason to crash in existing threads with OT information, though. Oh, and online petitions don't work, never have, never will. By this time, it's likely that Uncle Scrooge, Ken Kutaragi, and Chuck Norris already have added their names to this fine entreprise.

Its because you're still a junior member. Once youve accumulated a few more posts you'll have the ability to to post your own topics. Though, with an online petition as its own topic, I couldnt tell you how long youd be allowed to! :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
rockmero said:

**** no. Dont post this petition bullshit here.

Im in ur potishn.

Helpn ur needz

Has anyone actually heard a bad preview for this game? It seems like everyone's really happy with it.

callous

They're really coming out today, aren't they.

Also, I'm now so excited for this game I could actually consider it being the only game I buy along with the Wii the first day, replacing Zelda.

Dazzla

This is where Nintendo make their money! There's gonna be a lot of broken wiimotes thrown against the wall in frustration...

Saoh

rockmero said:

thank god you cant. online petitions are dumb.

Scalemail Ted said:
So should I trust Atlus to ship enough copies of this game to just pick up once released or should i pre-order?

pre-order, always pre-order. Same with Konami and Castlevania and Capcom with Phoenix Wright

SumGamer

This game is out at the same they with the console for US too right? Not 2 weeks launch window BS right?

@rockmero: There are only 2 types of petition that work.
1. The one that the company actually started for people to disagree with them.
2. The one that is handwritten by people on the street who can be identified.

Saoh said:
pre-order, always pre-order. Same with Konami and Castlevania and Capcom with Phoenix Wright

Talk about PW, how can we "Objection!!" on Wii now :( Maybe we can use the remote to slam on the table and point at the screen :D .

callous said:
They're really coming out today, aren't they.

Also, I'm now so excited for this game I could actually consider it being the only game I buy along with the Wii the first day, replacing Zelda.

Replacing ZELDA!!?

I won't hear of it.

SumGamer said:
Talk about PW, how can we "Objection!!" on Wii now :( Maybe we can use the remote to slam on the table and point at the screen :D .

Duh! Hold the Wiimote close to the screen, and press 'A' to simulate THE FINGER POINT!

(And I know I'd yell 'Objection!' if I did something like that.)

rockmero

SumGamer said:
@rockmero: There are only 2 types of petition that work.
1. The one that the company actually started for people to disagree with them.
2. The one that is handwritten by people on the street who can be identified.

Thank you. You are in right about this. But it´s too late to make this type of petition that you describe. I know that this petition won´t works but we made the same with the reedition of PS2 game ICO and Sony released this game in Spain. And the sucess of ICO´s petition was publish in a lot of Spanish magazines. But this time I think that it´s imposible but...

The Region free also affect Virtual Console and the European consumers can´t download games as Final Fantasy saga, Dragon Quest Saga of Mario RPG because they never released here.

Trauma Center of DS is awesome and I think that i´t will be a great game.

Sorry. I´m spanish and I don´t speak your language as well as you.

Thank you and sorry for the off topic that I make with this petition.

Top Bottom