• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to the US alone and for the first time. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Basically, this thread is about what the title says. In three weeks I'll be going on holiday to New York (my first time ever in the US), and I wanted to hear any suggestions that you beautiful guys and girls could think about. I have most of the things planned, but I want to make sure the trip is as good as it can be.

"Why go alone?", you may ask. Well, the answer is simple: I have no one to go with. I'm single, and none of my friends had both time and money available to come with me. My family went to a different place for their holidays, so I'll be spending three weeks on my own in an unknown country. But hey, I'm not seeing it as a sad thing, but as an opportunity. An opportunity to spend some time alone, to not depend on anyone but myself (I'm 23 and still live with my parents, so it's gonna be weird at first -though to be fair, that's pretty common in this South American country), to visit some great places and hopefully meet new people. As someone who's really shy, the latter seems incredibly hard to do, but there's nothing to lose by trying, right? Besides, I wanted to visit that country for all my life, and now that I've been working for a few years and saving some money I finally have a chance.

Anyway, I'm going a bit off-topic here. What I wanted to know was the kind of things to do there. I've already been making a list with most of the stuff I definitely need to see, such as the Empire State building (or Top of the Rock), Liberty Island, a couple of museums (Met, Madame Tussauds, the 9/11 memorial), the Yankee Stadium, Madison Square Garden (going to see an NBA match there, SA Spurs vs. NY Knicks -I'm cheering for the former!) and a bunch of parks (Central Park, High Line). The things I'd like to hear about are lesser-known places, like comedy clubs or bars. It'd be great to catch a stand-up comedy show, but I've found several clubs on the internet and have no idea which one's the best. Same deal with bars, it'd be nice if you could point me to some good ones for going alone. Oh, and if you can, please recommend me some places to eat too!

For reference, I'm staying in a hostel not far from Times Square. Of course, I plan on walking a lot, and there's also the subway, so distance shouldn't be a problem. I'll be there for about 10 days, after which I'll spend some time (less than that though) on Washington DC and then Boston (I'm seeing the band Blackberry Smoke there). Naturally, any tips or suggestions about those two cities would also be great.

I've also been grabbing a lot of good info from the tipping threads here, seriously. And there was one tourist traps thread that was also helpful, although I've forgotten most of what was posted there, so any reminders would be much appreciated. Basically anything that could be seen as a "beginner's guide" or "traveling for dummies".

So, to sum up, can you think of any other stuff for a single guy to visit there in New York? Are there any must-see places I'm missing, or any personal favorites of yours? Is there a way not to feel totally lost there? Also, is the 7-day New York Pass, which I was thinking of buying, worth it for the discounts on the attractions? And do you have any suggestions regarding DC or Boston?

Seeing how you're from SA (from somebody from SA), you should know that New York isn't exactly safe in certain areas at certain hours. Seems unnecessary to say, but you never know what city you live in and/or your idea of NY.

As to what to go to, try to go see some of the shows if you can afford even a very cheap seat. Since you're going in a hostel you might see if the people you're rooming with are friendly and tag along with them (assuming I'm getting definition of hostel right, never been to one).

What to eat... well Pizza is obvious. You can literally walk around New York and find a place with that new york pizza. Besides that it's entirely up to you, I'd keep it on a budget. Places to visit are the places you'd expect people to say:

- Time Square (go to M&M store for sure it's great)
- Ground Zero/memorial of twin towers
- Empire State if line isn't complete ass (it will be)
- Central Park (if you can afford it get a horse ride)
- If you can afford it go watch Blue Man Group or a play (assuming they're still there)

As to your plans, I don't know how much fun you're gonna have by yourself. It's a tourist city sure but it's also a city that to enjoy yourself how it intends to you need to spend money on shows, attractions and shopping. Don't know your budget. Also as a shy person I hope you're not hoping for friendly people to randomly invite you to do stuff. There are friendly people in the US, but I'd argue NY isn't nowhere near the friendliest city, and SA tends to have way more friendly people.

I don't live in NY but I've gone to visit it twice. 10 days would be overkill for me, I usually have enough of the city in 2-3. A local would help you out more on obscure places.

BobLoblaw

Banned
1) Bring a gun and 2) if you see a cop immediately lay down on the ground and play dead. Other than that you should be good.

Clydefrog

Damn, that sounds like a fun trip. I was born in this great country thirty years ago but I still have yet to visit NYC or Boston. I don't have anything to add other than have fun! Be a safe traveler but that also shouldn't stop you from having fun.

Clydefrog

You should go to a McDonalds to find out how shitty American McDonalds are compared to your nation’s McDonalds. Same thing goes for Pizza Hut.

For DC, there's so many museums, if that's your thing. The Smithsonian institute is behind a lot of stuff there. Air and Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Zoo. There's also the Spy Museum and the Newseum, which I remember liking, but it's been a long time since I've been to any of these.

Sakura

At least in my city it's not 100% for sure at every restaurant. Usually exclusive clubs and fancier restaurants vs every single place.

Well remember in America you tip for more than just restaurants. Gotta tip your taxi driver, pizza man, etc. Don't know if that is the same where you are from.

painey

As for NYC, don't expect it to be warm weather, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row when you approach immigration (ie hotel address, know the exact amount of cash you have, etc).

Well remember in America you tip for more than just restaurants. Gotta tip your taxi driver, pizza man, etc. Don't know if that is the same where you are from.

sorry should've specified in the city I was born in SA. I live in Texas right now. I was only clarifying that restaurants in my SA city are where the tipping comes into place, and even then it's more limited to fancier places.

Are you someone who enjoys super "touristy" things or are you more the kind of person that likes to see a place as it really is?

If the latter, I would discourage you from going to Liberty Island, it's super boring in my opinion as there isn't much to it and it will suck up a lot of your time and money.

If you are in New York, there are a few neighborhoods and places you should check out. I'm a bit biased but Brooklyn is really great. It's worth a trip to go to Williamsburg and check out the natural habitat of the American Hipster, although I understand that people would disagree with me on this. There are a lot of good restaurants, bars and cafes there. There is also a really great Waterfront view there of Manhattan, and my favorite place to grab a beer and see live music is at Brooklyn Bowl.

As for museums, I'd recommend checking out The Cloisters, it's a really cool museum on top of a hill wayyy uptown with a great view that and gives you an excuse to go to a part of the city that you otherwise wouldn't check out. Since saving money is likely an issue for any tourist I would give you a tip that the Met and Natural History Museum are suggested donation, meaning you can pay whatever you want. The regular price is like $25, but if you feel like supporting the arts more power to you.

If you let us know what time of year you are going it might help to suggest things.

Zombine

Banned
Yo you look like a man who has great taste in new music. I'm a rapper and would love for you to check out one of my new mixtapes. For you it's just $5.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Washington DC here.

Memorials at night are incredible if you want to get some good pictures. The lighting elevates it completely. Especially along the waterfront.

Museums around the Smithsonian are awesome. A few off the top of my head: Natural History, American History, National Gallery of Art, Air & Space, and The Holocaust are an absolute must. Also the Spy Museum is cool but a bit of a detour. As a heads up, The Holocaust museum is really intense, I have been there twice and you just feel drained afterward.

Georgetown is cool for a 23 year old. You will find some good night life around those areas. Good food and shopping, too, but bring some loot. Popular nights are Weds, Thurs, Friday, and Saturday.

Verizon Center is awesome for checking out a game, and has a few bars across the street. It is also right next to Chinatown.

There are tons of places for good music, too. 9:30 Club, and Black Cat always stood out to me as solid, just be careful walking around at night.

If you want more specific references like restaurants/bars, shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to everyone for the responses, both the serious ones and jokes. Honestly, tipping and clapping jokes are like fine music: they never seem to get old.

Seeing how you're from SA (from somebody from SA), you should know that New York isn't exactly safe in certain areas at certain hours. Seems unnecessary to say, but you never know what city you live in and/or your idea of NY.

As to what to go to, try to go see some of the shows if you can afford even a very cheap seat. Since you're going in a hostel you might see if the people you're rooming with are friendly and tag along with them (assuming I'm getting definition of hostel right, never been to one).

What to eat... well Pizza is obvious. You can literally walk around New York and find a place with that new york pizza. Besides that it's entirely up to you, I'd keep it on a budget. Places to visit are the places you'd expect people to say:

- Time Square (go to M&M store for sure it's great)
- Ground Zero/memorial of twin towers
- Empire State if line isn't complete ass (it will be)
- Central Park (if you can afford it get a horse ride)
- If you can afford it go watch Blue Man Group or a play (assuming they're still there)

As to your plans, I don't know how much fun you're gonna have by yourself. It's a tourist city sure but it's also a city that to enjoy yourself how it intends to you need to spend money on shows, attractions and shopping. Don't know your budget. Also as a shy person I hope you're not hoping for friendly people to randomly invite you to do stuff. There are friendly people in the US, but I'd argue NY isn't nowhere near the friendliest city, and SA tends to have way more friendly people.

I don't live in NY but I've gone to visit it twice. 10 days would be overkill for me, I usually have enough of the city in 2-3. A local would help you out more on obscure places.
Being from Buenos Aires (Argentina), I'm used to being careful when going outside. Not afraid, but aware. I'll try to keep the same mentality there.

I'll make sure to watch some shows, if possible. I was planning for my budget to be around 2k for the whole trip, but since most places there use credit cards (or so I've read) I'll have to be careful not to overspend too much. That said, I'll try not to be too cheap either.

Regarding pizza, I'm not a fan of cheese. At all. In fact, I hate it. So it'd be awesome if there were some place where I could order cheese-less pizza. Same deal with fast food. I didn't know there was an M&M store, so that's great, thanks!

Also, good to know I won't be making many local friends there, that'll keep my expectations in that department low. I will try to make conversation with the people sharing the hostel, though.

Damn, that sounds like a fun trip. I was born in this great country thirty years ago but I still have yet to visit NYC or Boston. I don't have anything to add other than have fun! Be a safe traveler but that also shouldn't stop you from having fun.
Thanks! I wouldn't have imagined that New York would be a place where one has to be careful, but that's probably true of every big city in the world.

If you've got the time, try checking out Portland, ME, Burlington, VT, and the White Mountains in NH. Enjoy!
New Hampshire? Sadly I won't go that far, as I already made the hostel reservations in the three cities I'll visit.

You should go to a McDonalds to find out how shitty American McDonalds are compared to your nation’s McDonalds. Same thing goes for Pizza Hut.
Will do, same with Burger King. Sadly Pizza Hut isn't here anymore, and I didn't get to try it when it was.

Do people tip in SA? Make sure you tip and clap lots in America.
Yes, but it's not mandatory. It can also be less than 10%. I'll make sure to tip the pilot and clap once I get off the plane :p

For DC, there's so many museums, if that's your thing. The Smithsonian institute is behind a lot of stuff there. Air and Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, the National Portrait Gallery, the National Zoo. There's also the Spy Museum and the Newseum, which I remember liking, but it's been a long time since I've been to any of these.
The first two museums you mentioned are already on my list (the space museum seems incredible), and I'll check the others online. Not sure about the zoo, but who knows? Maybe it'll be fun too.

It's a shame I couldn't secure a tour on the White House, which was something I really wanted to see. My country's embassy website says they aren't booking tours at the moment.

All of them 10% Damn, I'm gonna bleed money, lol

As for NYC, don't expect it to be warm weather, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row when you approach immigration (ie hotel address, know the exact amount of cash you have, etc).
Yeah, it's supposed to be a really cold winter there according to the news. And I'll make sure to have all that info at hand to avoid any trouble when entering the country, thanks.

Are you someone who enjoys super "touristy" things or are you more the kind of person that likes to see a place as it really is?

If the latter, I would discourage you from going to Liberty Island, it's super boring in my opinion as there isn't much to it and it will suck up a lot of your time and money.

If you are in New York, there are a few neighborhoods and places you should check out. I'm a bit biased but Brooklyn is really great. It's worth a trip to go to Williamsburg and check out the natural habitat of the American Hipster, although I understand that people would disagree with me on this. There are a lot of good restaurants, bars and cafes there. There is also a really great Waterfront view there of Manhattan, and my favorite place to grab a beer and see live music is at Brooklyn Bowl.

As for museums, I'd recommend checking out The Cloisters, it's a really cool museum on top of a hill wayyy uptown with a great view that and gives you an excuse to go to a part of the city that you otherwise wouldn't check out. Since saving money is likely an issue for any tourist I would give you a tip that the Met and Natural History Museum are suggested donation, meaning you can pay whatever you want. The regular price is like $25, but if you feel like supporting the arts more power to you.

If you let us know what time of year you are going it might help to suggest things.
To be honest, I can't really tell. This is the first time I'll go on vacation without my family, able to do whatever I want, so I don't have any preference at the moment. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. In fact, it'd probably be a good idea to visit the different boroughs, instead of staying only in Manhattan. Thanks a lot for naming those places!

I'll be traveling in... 2 weeks. Looks like I overestimated the time when making the OP, but it's indeed less than 3 weeks from today.

Washington DC here.

Memorials at night are incredible if you want to get some good pictures. The lighting elevates it completely. Especially along the waterfront.

Museums around the Smithsonian are awesome. A few off the top of my head: Natural History, American History, National Gallery of Art, Air & Space, and The Holocaust are an absolute must. Also the Spy Museum is cool but a bit of a detour. As a heads up, The Holocaust museum is really intense, I have been there twice and you just feel drained afterward.

Georgetown is cool for a 23 year old. You will find some good night life around those areas. Good food and shopping, too, but bring some loot. Popular nights are Weds, Thurs, Friday, and Saturday.

Verizon Center is awesome for checking out a game, and has a few bars across the street. It is also right next to Chinatown.

There are tons of places for good music, too. 9:30 Club, and Black Cat always stood out to me as solid, just be careful walking around at night.

If you want more specific references like restaurants/bars, shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps
This is amazing. You people are awesome with all of these suggestions! Would you suggest visiting the memorials exclusively at night? Your description makes it sound like a beautiful sight, so I'll definitely do that.

Didn't have the Holocaust museum in mind, but I'll visit it too if it's such an emotional experience.

Totally going to check out those cool places around Georgetown. By "loot" you mean cash?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This is amazing. You people are awesome with all of these suggestions! Would you suggest visiting the memorials exclusively at night? Your description makes it sound like a beautiful sight, so I'll definitely do that.

Didn't have the Holocaust museum in mind, but I'll visit it too if it's such an emotional experience.

Totally going to check out those cool places around Georgetown. By "loot" you mean cash?

Glad to help!

You can hit the memorials up during the day as you walk around DC and get familiar with the area. Luckily a lot of it is within the same area around the Smithsonian.

As for night time, I just did a quick google search and found 'Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour' for pretty cheap. So that might be something worth looking into, and maybe even meet some people.

Loot is money, not specifically cash but, yeah. It can be a bit pricey in Georgetown, but it is worth treating yourself to a nice dinner, or even shopping. Although if you want to get bang for your buck, you can go to the outlets around National Harbor and get some great brand clothes, if that is your thing.

If the Cherry Blossoms are early, you are in for a treat, although they usually come in April.

Make sure you finish every meal with a thunderous round of applause and a hearty belch.

Anything less and we're shipping you off to gitmo.

tumblr_n288wrPy5k1rhd0aco1_500.jpg

Tobe

nyc has some awesome video game places tho.

Look for next level to see some fighting games, visit videogames newyork best vg store out there. rockafeller center and nintendo world.

turn on tinder. please do so.

The Llama

If you want to do an observation deck in NYC, go to Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building. Much shorter line, better view, better overall experience.

And stop in Philly between NYC and DC, I'll buy you a cheesesteak :p

Mr.Swag

Banned
If you want to do an observation deck in NYC, go to Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building. Much shorter line, better view, better overall experience.

I followed this advice and I was glad I did.
Rockefeller view was amazing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to help!

You can hit the memorials up during the day as you walk around DC and get familiar with the area. Luckily a lot of it is within the same area around the Smithsonian.

As for night time, I just did a quick google search and found 'Monuments by Moonlight Night Tour' for pretty cheap. So that might be something worth looking into, and maybe even meet some people.

Loot is money, not specifically cash but, yeah. It can be a bit pricey in Georgetown, but it is worth treating yourself to a nice dinner, or even shopping. Although if you want to get bang for your buck, you can go to the outlets around National Harbor and get some great brand clothes, if that is your thing.

If the Cherry Blossoms are early, you are in for a treat, although they usually come in April.
Whoa, that trip sounds great. I think I'll take it, thanks.

Are clothes cheaper in NY or DC? Not looking for anything in particular, just some nice stuff that I can keep using back home. I'll take your advice and eat in Georgetown at least once, however expensive it may be. After all, there's no way to know when am I going to be back there.

nyc has some awesome video game places tho.

Look for next level to see some fighting games, visit videogames newyork best vg store out there. rockafeller center and nintendo world.

turn on tinder. please do so.
Awesome! Can't wait to see those places ^^

Tinder? Never used it at home, do you really think it could be useful there?

I've heard that advice before, someone even told me the Empire State can be seen from the Rockefeller Center. Glad to know it was true, I'll do that.

Yuck, cheese! I'm taking the train from NY to DC (and from DC to Boston, which is silly as NY is right in the middle, but that was the only way to see both the NBA match in NY and the concert in Boston), so I won't be able to visit anything inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom