• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Hepatitis A Outbreak Jumps to 123

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

Arkansas, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia and CDC, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are continuing to investigate a multistate outbreak of foodborne hepatitis A. Information available at this time does not indicate an ongoing risk of acquiring hepatitis A virus infection at Tropical Smoothie Café’s, as the contaminated food product has been removed as of August 8. Symptoms of hepatitis A virus infection can take up to 50 days to appear.

As a result, CDC continues to identify cases of hepatitis A related to the initial contaminated product. As of September 14, 2016:

123 people with hepatitis A have been reported from eight states:

Arkansas (1)
Maryland (12)
New York (3)
North Carolina (1)
Oregon (1)
Virginia (98)
West Virginia (6)
Wisconsin (1)

http://www.foodpoisonjournal.com/fo...patitis-a-outbreak-jumps-to-119/#.V-Vglyh942w

FDA Investigates Outbreak of Hepatitis A Illnesses Linked to Frozen Strawberries

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local officials are investigating an outbreak of hepatitis A illnesses linked to frozen strawberries in smoothies served at Tropical Smoothie Café locations.
Fast Facts

The FDA, CDC and state and local officials are investigating hepatitis A virus (HAV) infections linked to frozen strawberries in smoothies served in Tropical Smoothie Cafe restaurant locations.
As of September 14, 2016, CDC reports 119 people with hepatitis A linked to this outbreak have been reported from 8 states (AR, MD, NC, NY, OR, VA, WI and WV).
Nearly all ill people interviewed report eating smoothies containing strawberries at Tropical Smoothie locations in a limited geographic area. Preliminary traceback information indicates that the frozen strawberries served in these Tropical Smoothie Café locations were imported from Egypt. Tropical Smoothie Café has stopped using these strawberries nationwide.
If you think you’ve gotten sick from eating a smoothie containing strawberries from a Tropical Smoothie Café, contact your health care provider. At this time, we do not have information to suggest that there is an ongoing risk of hepatitis A virus infection at Tropical Smoothie Cafes. Illnesses are largely limited to Virginia and neighboring states.

http://www.fda.gov/food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/Outbreaks/ucm518775.htm

Quality of Egyptian agricultural products criticised in Russia, US

The report asserted that nearly all ill people reported drinking a smoothie from Tropical Smoothie Café in the month before the illness started, in which the Egyptian strawberries were used.

Subsequently, Tropical Smoothie Café reported that it stopped using Egyptian frozen strawberries in their branches in Virginia and neighbouring states by 8 August. Additionally, on 19 August, the firm reported that they removed Egyptian frozen strawberries from all cafés nationwide.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/...icultural-products-faces-criticism-russia-us/

The UAE has tightened controls on imports of frozen strawberries from Egypt

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/health/uae-tightens-frozen-strawberry-imports-after-us-scare-1.1897617

Don't buy Egyptian frozen strawberries!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Oh wow. I'm in Tropical Smoothie right now. Should I not enjoy my peanut paradise?

Oh, it's the strawberries. Guess I'm fine.

How about cross contamination? Not like those blenders are gonna get sterilized after each smoothie.

koji kabuto

Wait, what? Did this happen????

Hawaii’s Hepatitis A count hits 276, including school cafeteria worker

The implicated scallops — frozen and packed in the Philippines in November 2015 — were served raw by Genki Sushi restaurants on Oahu and Kauai. Illnesses began in June, or earlier, with the most recent victim logged by the state having become ill on Sept. 15.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2016/...cluding-school-cafeteria-worker/#.V-VsZCh942w

Leynos

I had a mild case of hep A as a kid when I ate raw oysters. I got a case of malaise, and my skin, and eyes turned slightly yellow. My doctor didn't even prescribe any drugs, just bed rest, and I got to stay home from school for a week.

I still eat raw oysters,
and can not give blood.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh wow. I'm in Tropical Smoothie right now. Should I not enjoy my peanut paradise?

Oh, it's the strawberries. Guess I'm fine.
I used to go there all the time for power protein smoothies. Then the one by me closed suddenly with some plumbing issues and never reopened.

Nearest one is like 30 miles away now.

ryan13ts

Holy fuck, I literally get a smoothie from them like every other day and my state is one of those that is listed. Now I'm going to be worried as fuck, even if the chances are slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom