• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropico 5 announced for PC, X360, Mac and Linux, coming 2014 - GREAT DICTATOR TEASER!

VicViper

tropico___flag_by_nee9laiv.png

From official PR:

Penultimo, the greatest communicator of all time, is pleased to announce that the votes have been counted and verified and we are proud to confirm that the glorious El Presidente will return for a fifth term in power on the island paradise of Tropico! Yes that’s right, Kalypso Media is delighted to announce that Tropico 5, the next installment of the highly anticipated and critically acclaimed Tropico city-builder series, is currently in development at Haemimont Studios and is slated for a 2014 release. Kalypso will release Tropico 5 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC, Mac and Linux.

Fancy seeing how El Presidente spends his time when not planning his global domination? Check out the brand new Tropico 5 teaser trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdeUFeTBSk

Packed with a whole host of new gameplay features and all new artwork designed from scratch, Tropico 5 takes the series into a new and exciting direction – dynasties!

You, as El Presidente, will first take control of the infamous island of Tropico during early colonial times and then guide it through the centuries as the world changes and moves ever forward. You must tackle the changing needs of your people, as well as opposing governments and factions, and thus lay the foundations for your own dynasty. As you move through your years in office you can promote members of your extended family on the island to positions of power: such as ambassador, commanding general or even Supreme Ruler, to ensure your legacy thrives through the eras. As your influence and wealth grows, so do the threats to your burgeoning island superpower. Can you survive both World Wars, prosper through the Great Depression, rule as an iron-fisted dictator through the Cold War and advance your country to modern times and beyond? From the 19th to the 21st century, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities.

As well as a wealth of other new features, including advanced trading mechanics, technology, scientific research trees and island exploration, Tropico 5 will add cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players for the first time in the series’ history! Viva El Presidente!

Features of Tropico 5

The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!

The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.

Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!

Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.

Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.

All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.

Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.

www.tropico5.com

tropico-5-thumbjullf.jpg

zoku88

I can't believe there aren't more responses to this thread. It's Tropico, man!

Pretty happy it's getting a Linux release, as well :)

EDIT: I'm also hoping for a bigger improvement. It seems like it, given the features list.

I love Tropico but I do hope they mix things up a little more. Tropico 1, 3, and 4 are practically the same exact game.

Chojin

Yes. Oh yes. Oh finally. All over my face. I'm so hyped for this.

Edit: Oh man from the start of Colonial times? A dynasty? This is going to be too good to be true. I was hoping for an extended timeline but this looks to be hundreds of years. I wonder if it will progress in one sitting from a sandbox mode or if the timeline changes per mission.

I hope its every mission!

SJRB

Gold Member
Tropico 4 is a good game, but the bizarre construction glitch/bug/design choice is what put me off playing it until the end.

mrboo001

Banned
Holy shit. The idea of 5 eras sounds amazing! I hope the dynasties work out like Crusader Kings 2. After the small jump from 3 -> 4 this sounds like a step in the right direction.

web01

PR makes it sound like much more ambitious than the previous games so looking forward to it.
Multi player could also be interesting.

LuuKyK

Awesome. I still have the fondest memories of playing the first two games. They were the best. I played 3 and 4 and they were fine, but still not as good as the old ones. Cant wait to see what they will do with the game here.

Chojin

Man I can't wait for what awesome music awaits in Tropico 5. I'm one of those few who definitely do not get bored of the same songs over and over in Tropico 4. I'm constantly bopping along to it as I create my Ultraleftist Power to the Workers Nannystate Utopia. SCREW YOU CAPITALISTS.

Ahem. But yeah, 5 different eras means 5 different eras of music to melt my ears with the gooey goodness of ear caramel.

I wonder if Colonial era can play out akin to Tropico 2, which is something I should have but haven't nearly put enough time into, I'm replaying Tropico 4 and Modern times with Cheats DLC and catching up on some achievements I missed out on. Afterwards I'll plug into Tropico 2 until I can get my fix with 5.

3 to 4 improvements were mostly minor..
hope that 5 really brings something new and polished to the table..

I agree slighly with that. But buying construction and imports really helped the game out albeit made it much more easier. I thought having other foreign factions was a great improvement as well. Though I don't get why everyone hates Juanito so much. I kinda liked him... Though Penultimo is PENULTIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe they referenced Chaplin's The Great Dictator. So good.

Also, the description sounds very good, this seems like a step in the right direction.

creyas

Great. To me Tropico 4 is the most enjoyable building game at the moment by far. It coming to X360 makes me anticipate it won't be all that different, but that doesn't sour it for me. I'd have some more of this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hope they include polygamy in the dynasty. If they want to capture the political scene of a banana republic, being a political family with many wives and husbands is a must.

demolitio

Now this is a true evolution to a series. Not drastically changing what people enjoy but improving on the principles people love and delivering more content to keep us going. Tropico 4 was good but not a huge upgrade over 3 by any means but this sounds amazing.

I'm glad they're going back to this after Omerta...

Cool. I still need to play 3 and 4.

Just play 4, it wasn't really a big enough jump from 3 for me to buy it, but as you haven't played either, might as well get the best version.

I'll stick with the PC version, but I hope they're considering an X1 version and make use of Kinect 2.

demolitio

Just play 4, it wasn't really a big enough jump from 3 for me to buy it, but as you haven't played either, might as well get the best version.

I'll add to that and say 4 simply because of the above PLUS the Modern Times expansions which is pretty damn good and adds a bit to the game.

5 seems to be the big jump people were looking for in 4.

Boss Doggie

Now this is a true evolution to a series. Not drastically changing what people enjoy but improving on the principles people love and delivering more content to keep us going. Tropico 4 was good but not a huge upgrade over 3 by any means but this sounds amazing.

tbqh Tropico 4 was redundant until they added Modern Times.

CRUSADER KINGS TROPICO?!??!?!?!? YES

KILL HIS WIFE
Yeah I am sooooo hoping you can marry many people here.

Boss Doggie

To be fair, the Tropico 4 campaign is quite lengthy and very good. If you only play sandbox, sure, not much of an improvement, but the real fun with Tropico 3/4 imo is in the campaigns.

I never actually touched the campaigns :p

I'll try one now.

Omerta was okay. Actually first they are going with Rise of Venice this fall then to Tropico 5.

Can't wait for this. Not bought 4 yet (I know its on sale this weekend so might pick it up then) but seems like a big change to the series to push it on.

qko

Speaking of Linux, have parts 1-4 been released on Linux? I loved Tropico 2 wondering if I can get that on my Linux partition.

Top Bottom