• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey arrests/kidnaps Enes Kanter's father.

Gülen's PR work in the West has ironically showed you guys as the brainwashed ones, if only you knew.

Supporting one Islamist over another is not a good position to take. Supporting anyone that is against Erdogan just because they are against Erdogan is a simple position to take.

It's better to support the Kemalist demographic, they are the reason Turkey isn't a 3rd World mess.

Kanter and his cult wants Turkey to be like Iran.

Iran seems pretty liberal in comparison to most southwest asian countries. I'd rather the US be allies with Iran than Turkey.

I really wish that coup had been successful.

I don't think I believe at this point there was ever even a real coup that aimed to be successful.

Just an excuse to help Erdogan to grab more power and play the victim.

Who the hell stages a coup when the guy you are trying to overthrow is outside of the country at the time.

I mean, we like charter schools here, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't appreciate our charter school guy trying to do regime change against a NATO ally.
It was never even proven that he incited a coup. The defectors were Gulenists but John Kerry told Erdogan to come back with actual evidence of conspiracy from abroad if he wanted extradition and he never did.
I don't think I believe at this point there was ever even a real coup that aimed to be successful.

Just an excuse to help Erdogan to grab more power and play the victim.

Who the hell stages a coup when the guy you are trying to overthrow is outside of the country at the time.
Fake coups shouldn't end up with people dead. The goal was to A) intercept the airplane and destroy it or B) assassinate him on the tarmac.

It was a legit coup but it appears to have been one haphazardly committed out of desperation. It was incompetent and the worst possible outcome, giving Erdogan the narrative he needed to consolidate power.

Isn't Gulen hardcore Islamist just like Erdogan who worked together with him before they become enemies? I'm kinda confused how did he inspire human rights movement ?

Isn't Gulen hardcore Islamist just like Erdogan who worked together with him before they become enemies? I'm kinda confused how did he inspire human rights movement ?
In dictatorships, you usually cull people that become threats to your power because of their own popularity. Gulen as a symbol of human rights is really Gulen as an outlet for Erdogan detractors.

Violet_0

Banned
I admittedly don't know much about the Gulen movement, but from what I picked up from the media it's sort of a cult-like religious group that runs it's own network of schools around the world? They don't generally talk favourably about Guelen in the news

This is insanity. Turkey's going down a very dark path, and if Erdogan is making plays like this I'm not sure what exactly would be off-limits for him at this point. Something definitely needs to be done about Erdogan's regime and he needs to be stop being enabled and be de-legitimized, and the message be sent loud and clear that the path he's leading Turkey down is in no way alright.

...But of course, I fully expect Trump to say absolutely nothing about this. Instead, if anything, he'll ignore it and find some unrelated way to heap praise onto Erdogan.

Nere

This is the same guy that said he'll support Gülen over his own parents lol

What country are you from and is it ok if the minorities that live carve out theirnown state?

There are like 20 million Kurds living on Turkey alone that isn't a minority.

El Topo

Sort of. Gülen is hardly an innocent old man and the Gülen movement has been criticized a lot in the past, see e.g. this German Zeit article about it. Gülen is not a great poster child.
That said, it is irrelevant in this context because Erdogan is clearly taking these actions not because of legitimate concerns, but to silence critics and further solidify his power base.

I really wish that coup had been successful.

No. You wish that Turkey had a reasonable and stable government. That is very different from hoping that the coup would be successful. The way people paint the military rule in a good light is very problematic given Turkey's history.

bestami

Gülen is much older, much stronger threat for Turkey (at least he was). I don't know how he is seen in western countries so i wanted to express my opinions.

Gülen and Erdogan are the same threat. They have been allies for decades. They had a falling out some years ago (probably because of power and/or money distrubution.)

Erdoğan worked for years to help place Gülen's people in military, justice and goverment places.

Erdoğan says he's been deceived (his own words)

If coup would have been successful i really believe we would be in worse situation.
(it is clear now it was not going to be)

There are lots of things going wrong in Turkey at the moment and sadly Erdoğan is not the only thing. (most important is there is not a competent and qualified opposition party)

As a turkish citizen i don't have much hope for my countries future. Hope i'm wrong :(

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
It's almost as if someone can be muslim and pro-human rights.

hmmm
The poster you replied to talked about hardcore Islamists, not Muslims. It should be blatantly clear to everyone that no, you can't be an Islamist and pro-human rights.

emag

Punishing family members for someone escaping the regime's grasp is very North Korea.

Also very American, Burmese, Chinese, Indian, Israeli, Pakistani, Russian, Venezuelan, and I'm sure a host of others. Unfortunately business as usual for much of the world. :(

Iran seems pretty liberal in comparison to most southwest asian countries. I'd rather the US be allies with Iran than Turkey.

Hahahah. Is this a joke? Can heterosexual couples freely hold hands and kiss in Iran? Is alcohol legal in Iran? Mixed sex clubs dancing? Haha.

There are like 20 million Kurds living on Turkey alone that isn't a minority.

The number that care about establishing a Kurdistan is a minority. Bulk of that 20 million are comfortable in their Turkish national identity. The city with the largest Kurdish population in the World is Istanbul. Plenty of mixed marriages as well so how many of that 20 million is true when you consider all that?

Why is gulen despicable?

Because he runs a cult that brainwashes followers to nigh on worship him and do exactly what he says without question. For decades the cult has clandestinely infiltrated the state apparatus of Turkey with the aim of taking control and placing Gülen as an ayatollah equivelant. They are Sharia nutters in suits, worse than Erdogan and the AKP.

They have such a sophisticated PR in America to make it look like they are this progressive type thing. But they aren't. They ruined lives of students in the Turkish Army by having their officers bully and negate the progress of students on merit and instead favoured their own.

Gülen is much older, much stronger threat for Turkey (at least he was). I don't know how he is seen in western countries so i wanted to express my opinions.

Gülen and Erdogan are the same threat. They have been allies for decades. They had a falling out some years ago (probably because of power and/or money distrubution.)

Erdoğan worked for years to help place Gülen's people in military, justice and goverment places.

Erdoğan says he's been deceived (his own words)

If coup would have been successful i really believe we would be in worse situation.
(it is clear now it was not going to be)

There are lots of things going wrong in Turkey at the moment and sadly Erdoğan is not the only thing. (most important is there is not a competent and qualified opposition party)

As a turkish citizen i don't have much hope for my countries future. Hope i'm wrong :(

Thanks for posting. Yabancilar anlamiyor ya :p

Do you have any evidence of this nefarious plot to destroy Turkey besides Turkish propoganda?
There isn't enough information in non-Turkish sources on the subject. That's the genuine truth. Gülen people control the image of Turkey in America. AKP people and Secular Turks are crap at PR compared to Gülenists.

Velcro Fly

I'm pretty sure the lasting image of what Turkey is all about these days are the suited goons beating up protesters outside the embassy a few weeks ago. Something like that is hard to get out in front of from a PR perspective.

Kusagari

There isn't enough information in non-Turkish sources on the subject. That's the genuine truth. Gülen people control the image of Turkey in America. AKP people and Secular Turks are crap at PR compared to Gülenists.

Are you seriously suggesting Gulenists are somehow controlling the image of Turkey displayed in the American media?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You're out of your goddamned mind. Gulen's PR was so effective that literally nobody had heard of him till Erdogan threw him out as a Turkish boogeyman. Just hot creamy nonsense.

I've no idea how his "sophisticated PR apparatus" works in Turkey, but it's fucking non existent here.

Funny how you claim to be displeased with Erdogan cementing himself as an islamist dictator, but 99% of your posts are effectively defending him. Or maybe my mind has been warped by powerfully nuanced Gulenist PR.

I'm pretty sure the lasting image of what Turkey is all about these days are the suited goons beating up protesters outside the embassy a few weeks ago. Something like that is hard to get out in front of from a PR perspective.

Well yes those mugs don't help. (Though can't say I sympathise with PKK/YPG supporters that they fought).

But look at the media image of Erdogan and Turkey before the split with Gülen (2013) and after. It's like night and day.

Tripon

I work for one of those "Gulenist" charter schools in Southern California.

From what I seen, there was a ton of anti-gulenist websites and Twitter accounts and a paid law firm by the Turkish government to try to undermine charter schools with accused links to Gulen.

Didn't see much pro Gulen stuff though. Not through work or any of the Turkish teachers at school.

Those websites are gone now for some reason and I don't hear about the law firm anymore. I'm guessing that the Turkish government decided that the propaganda they were running in the U.S. weren't worth it anymore. At least on this front.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well yes those mugs don't help. (Though can't say I sympathise with PKK/YPG supporters that they fought).

But look at the media image of Erdogan and Turkey before the split with Gülen (2013) and after. It's like night and day.

Are you genuinely suggesting we think Erdogan is a shitbucket BECAUSE OF GULENIST PR?

The Only reason Europe and the US don't tell Erdogan and Turkey to fuck off and need them on their side is, because of their strategic geographical location to the Mid_East and Asia. After his cronies attacking US citizens in Washington DC in broad daylight in front of Erdogan, It's getting pathetic how no one is calling out this barbaric dictator for who he is.

emag

Those might be because of Erdogan's increasing autocratic tendencies and crackdowns on dissidents rather than any Gulen-controlled media. The reality on the ground in Turkey was very different five years ago from what it is today.

Are you genuinely suggesting we think Erdogan is a shitbucket BECAUSE OF GULENIST PR?
No. But Erdogan's image was far better before the Gülenists went on overrdrive. Turkey was called a model for the Muslim World in major Western geopolitical publications. While Secular/Opposition Turks facepalmed at it all.

Secular Turks have been warning of Erdogan since 2002. Erdogan's name was barley known until a decade later and now it seems like the average joe in the West has heard of him.

Gülen and Erdogan's tag team cucked the Turkish military in 2007. And it was the replacements that bundled their coup attempt which Erdogan has used to his advantage.

It was like a divorce and the sane Turks were the children looking on helpless at the joke this country is.

I mean... Erodgan's image was a lot better before he started kidnapping and torturing the parents of his political enemies.

Maybe don't try to kidnap US public figures or assault US citizens and his image will improve?

Hopefully Erdogan dies of a cocaine overdose while he's on the toilet.

I mean... Erodgan's image was a lot better before he started kidnapping and torturing the parents of his political enemies.

Maybe don't try to kidnap US public figures or assault US citizens and his image will improve?

Hopefully Erdogan dies of a cocaine overdose while he's on the toilet.

On that golden toilet he supposedly has.

Top Bottom