• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out Billy Mitchell Actually Can Score Over One Million in Donkey Kong

nkarafo

What I find so amusing about shit like this is that it really isn't that skillful. DK is an incredibly simple game and it really isn't that hard to memorize to do shit like this. It's really more a test of stamina and patience than anything else. People have "world records" in games like this not because they're some one in a million superstar, they have world records in games like this due to lack of interest/competition. Basically, there's no money in it, so people who are actually really talented don't even bother to play them.

There are literally tens of thousands of "professional gamer" types that could absolutely blow this dude out of the water in any game.

Don't get me started on professional gaming. It's so fucking stupid.
I'm pretty good in some games but very bad in others. I suck at Donkey Kong. Getting 1 million in one go and 3 lives would be impossible for me. The same stands for most marathon/stamina based games where you accumulate high scores over time. I find these games the hardest to get a record.

Now many of these games would be very easy with save states since the moment to moment gameplay doesn't require a lot of hand eye coordination. But being consistent in a two-hour playthrough like this is a skill that not many players have. That's the hard part, not the act of jumping over a few barrels. It's the anxiety and stress that make records in these games hard.

Shorter playthrough based games like fighting or time trials require better hand eye coordination and the moment to moment gameplay is more demanding but you also get a lot more tries to do a good playthrough. Imagine failing in Donkey Kong after 1 and half hours or something. It would be too tiresome to try again any time soon. But in a fighting game i can play 30-40 matches in less then 30 minutes and i will probably beat a better player than me in a few. Simply, you get more chances to do a record.

Also, shorter playthroughs are less boring for everyone (players and fans), which is why they are more successful in the competitive scene, i imagine.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this...

Robert Mruczek, former head referee of TG, accuses Billy Mitchell of using MAME, save-states, video trickery among other fraudulent things unbecoming of The Gamer of The Century.
A good interview overall if you're interested, the first half is a complete burial of Todd Rogers. He has other things to say about Billy but the accusations start at 1:25:30. I, of course, think he is dead on and very credible because he is Robert fucking Mruczek and Billy will have nothing to say because he is a fraud.

NgMz.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've been waiting for this...

Robert Mruczek, former head referee of TG, accuses Billy Mitchell of using MAME, save-states, video trickery among other fraudulent things unbecoming of The Gamer of The Century.
A good interview overall if you're interested, the first half is a complete burial of Todd Rogers. He has other things to say about Billy but the accusations start at 1:25:30. I, of course, think he is dead on and very credible because he is Robert fucking Mruczek and Billy will have nothing to say because he is a fraud.

NgMz.gif

So he is saying the most current live stream in this video topic was trickery?

No, he was talking about the tape that set off the whole investigation into Billy. He mentions that Billy's redemption 1 million isn't worth anything as far as proving his questionable tape was legit, also it doesn't prove he can get anything higher than 1 million just because he was on pace for a better score and purposely bailed at a million. After everything that's come out, Billy still tries to rest on his laurels as some sort of godlike gamer, "because I'm Billy Mitchell".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, he was talking about the tape that set off the whole investigation into Billy. He mentions that Billy's redemption 1 million isn't worth anything as far as proving his questionable tape was legit, also it doesn't prove he can get anything higher than 1 million just because he was on pace for a better score and purposely bailed at a million. After everything that's come out, Billy still tries to rest on his laurels as some sort of godlike gamer, "because I'm Billy Mitchell".

I can understand some of that, but the part about it not proving he can get higher than a million because he purposely bailed just seems petty commentary, because he could have without waiting for the timer bonus to tick down, no?

Last edited:
Billy Mitchell is elite. DK should be classified as a MENSA level Highly Complex Problem game similar to NES Tetris. Actually Tetris might be easier. He gets a bad rap unfortunately but he makes the DK competition more interesting.

Top Bottom