• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Show GAF: I want to introduce you to a show called 'Utopia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Is this a sci-fi show? I admit the idea of a shadow organisation chasing a nostradamus-type book sound rather intriguing.

ramyeon

Is this a sci-fi show? I admit the idea of a shadow organisation chasing a nostradamus-type book sound rather intriguing.
No it's not. The summary is kind of misleading but I think it's something that the less you know, the better. The seasons are only 6 episodes long so you should definitely give it a shot if you're even moderately interested.

When I first heard the premise I thought it sounded okay, but what it actually is was so much better.

No it's not. The summary is kind of misleading but I think it's something that the less you know, the better. The seasons are only 6 episodes long so you should definitely give it a shot if you're even moderately interested.

When I first heard the premise I thought it sounded okay, but what it actually is was so much better.

I'd say it meets the criteria/definition for science fiction. If films like V for Vendetta are science fiction, this certainly is.

Denton

I watched first season few weeks ago. It wasn't bad, acting and cinematography really good, but the story did not really grab me as much as I hoped.
Had no idea Fincher wants to make HBO remake..that might actually appeal to me more, I love Fincher's style. If only Reznor scored it.

Yep I agree with you OP. Beautiful cinematography, good story and good acting. One of the best surprise of last year and a great second season.

I don't think V for Vendetta is SciFi. This is not SciFi imo and I think classifying it as such is misleading.

I don't want to go too off-topic but V for Vendetta is a story set in the future, in a parallel universe under a totalitarian government and it plays with elements of state-controlled media and manufactured bioweapons for population control and propaganda purposes. That's about as science fiction as you can get.

Science fiction is quite consistently defined as 'Fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes... fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component...fiction exploring the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations...fiction drawing imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc' (Oxford, Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia)

Without spoiling it for people in the thread, Utopia revolves completely around the proposed impact, consequences and ethics of a real and manufactured scientific advance on society as a whole.

ramyeon

I don't want to go too off-topic but V for Vendetta is a story set in the future, in a parallel universe under a totalitarian government and it plays with elements of state-controlled media and manufactured bioweapons for population control and propaganda purposes. That's about as science fiction as you can get.

Science fiction is quite consistently defined as 'Fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes... fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component...fiction exploring the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations...fiction drawing imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc' (Oxford, Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia)

Without spoiling it for people in the thread, Utopia revolves completely around the proposed impact, consequences and ethics of a real and manufactured scientific advance on society as a whole.
I suppose what myself, and a lot of people, think of science fiction is much more defined and specific. Taking a broad definition of any fiction that involves science and it's affect on society, then yes this is that. But when I think of science fiction I think of stories set in the future that are often far less grounded in reality. Star Wars, Alien, that kind of stuff is what I think of as SciFi. V for Vendetta always came across as a political action thriller to me, and that's what I would classify Utopia as.

Best show on right now, have recommended it to everyone I know.

Who doesn't want a darkly funny but brutal conspiracy thriller backed by top-class cinematography and oddball music set in a murky world with hints of Watchmen?

I watched first season few weeks ago. It wasn't bad, acting and cinematography really good, but the story did not really grab me as much as I hoped.
Had no idea Fincher wants to make HBO remake..that might actually appeal to me more, I love Fincher's style. If only Reznor scored it.
I don't think Reznor is suited for the deliciously weird music of Cristobal. I'd say Amon Tobin would be better. There isn't much quite like his style.

Don't know if Fincher is as multivaried in his colour palette, because that's a big identity of the show. If they wanted the American version to be its own thing, it'd have to be very different because there are some very specific stylistic elements. Maybe a director who's dabbled in Italian horror? Cause that's the closest correlation in audiovisual style imo.

Just finished the third episode and honestly it feels kind of boring so far. The visuals do look really nice, but ultimately I feel like a lot of shots are really self indulgent and masturbatory, there solely for the purpose of being aesthetically pleasing and not because they make sense or convey any sort of visual information or storytelling beats. The most egregious example I can think of is when the story of Mr. Rabbit is first told and the camera slowly pans upward into the sky. Why was that shot like that? What was that supposed to convey? I honestly can't think of any reason for it other than just because it looked good. The music is pretty awesome though.

So yeah, it's decent so far, but i'm not really feeling particularly compelled to watch any more. I'll finish out the first season though.

-Deimos

Just finished the third episode and honestly it feels kind of boring so far. The visuals do look really nice, but ultimately I feel like a lot of shots are really self indulgent and masturbatory, there solely for the purpose of being aesthetically pleasing and not because they make sense or convey any sort of visual information or storytelling beats. The most egregious example I can think of is when the story of Mr. Rabbit is first told and the camera slowly pans upward into the sky. Why was that shot like that? What was that supposed to convey? I honestly can't think of any reason for it other than just because it looked good. The music is pretty awesome though.

So yeah, it's decent so far, but i'm not really feeling particularly compelled to watch any more. I'll finish out the first season though.

I thought it was kind of slow in the beginning as well. It really picks up later on, at least to me it did.

Dharma

Neo Member
I was asked to be an Extra in the first series but couldn't get the time off work unfortunately. Still haven't watched any of it, nor do I know what it is about but it's internationally recognized now ? Wow

RytGear

I was asked to be an Extra in the first series but couldn't get the time off work unfortunately. Still haven't watched any of it, nor do I know what it is about but it's internationally recognized now ? Wow

Damn, you have really missed out there (although chances are you would be killed fairly quickly for little reason), I don't think it's as recognised as it should be and Americans know nearly nothing about it which is a shame but I hope the HBO remake gets it more of a following, I would see if you could jump on that though?

-Deimos

It isn't well known at all. I stumbled upon it through GAF.

Dharma

Neo Member
Damn, you have really missed out there (although chances are you would be killed fairly quickly for little reason), I don't think it's as recognised as it should be and Americans know nearly nothing about it which is a shame but I hope the HBO remake gets it more of a following, I would see if you could jump on that though?

Haha, it was more of a background extra part really so i guess anyone could have done my job. HBO remaking it seems a little strange. I wonder if it will take off like the US remake of Shameless did rather than bomb like the Inbetweeners.

The American version will never pull it off.

HBO will pull it off just fine, right now they are the best TV drama production channel on the planet.

Until the BBC are once again prepared to give drama production the budgets they once did, HBO will continue to set the gold standard.

masud

Banned
First season was better than (most of) the second. The characters started going all over the place towards the end. Still a pretty good show though. Anything else interesting on UK tv right now?

Watch it now! The American version will never pull it off. I actually don't even know why they're doing a remake instead of just broadcasting the original.

Cause we don't understand your silly accents. :p

L1NETT

Anything else interesting on UK tv right now?

The Fall series 2 coming up this Autumn (fall, whatever) as is series 2 of Peaky Blinders. Former is a really creepy crime drama set in Belfast and the latter is post WW1 gang thing set it Birmingham starring Cillian Murphy and soon to be Tom Hardy

Aside from those Happy Valley earlier in the year has been one of the best shows of 2014 period, counting all TV.

Haha, it was more of a background extra part really so i guess anyone could have done my job. HBO remaking it seems a little strange. I wonder if it will take off like the US remake of Shameless did rather than bomb like the Inbetweeners.

I'm sure it will be fine just don't understand why they don't rebroadcast this version. A single pretty strong Welsh accent isn't that much of a turnoff is it?

Mastadon

Banned
Finished Series 1 on Monday and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It does an absolutely wonderful job of slowly building the tension and sense of foreboding throughout, and it's propped up by some great acting and dialogue.

Can't wait to watch S2.

No..it's shit.

BBC4 is about the only channel I watch these days, with the occasional foray to BBC2.

Whilst I agree that HBO probably are ahead of everyone else, I think you're underselling British TV quite significantly. We've had shows like Happy Valley, The Honourable Woman and Line of Duty all on the BBC this year, all of which are fantastic.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finished watching this series over the bank holiday weekend, great show! Looking forward to the next season.

Damn glad I saw Series 2 episode 2 before that last gif in the OP though!

whoa cillian murphy AND tom hardy. i gotta get on dat peaky blinders ting

edit: and steven knight made it. shieeet, i'm on this asap

Whilst I agree that HBO probably are ahead of everyone else, I think you're underselling British TV quite significantly. We've had shows like Happy Valley, The Honourable Woman and Line of Duty all on the BBC this year, all of which are fantastic.

..well he did say 'right now' :))

-Deimos

First season was better than (most of) the second. The characters started going all over the place towards the end. Still a pretty good show though. Anything else interesting on UK tv right now?

Cause we don't understand your silly accents. :p
But...I'm Canadian.

Seriously though, it's not like there's a huge culture gap for an NA audience. I don't really understand the point of a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom