• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two 360s with bad disc drives? C'mon, Microsoft!

So I just bought my first 360 five weeks ago. Three of those weeks I tolerated the drive making some real strange noises when accessing certain discs. So I ended up returning the 360 for a new one two weeks ago. Now just tonight, I pull Dead Rising out of the drive, and SURPRISE! scratches on the damned disc - which were straight lines, meaning that the disc was scratched by the laser mechanism as it jumped back and forth to read data. :mad:

The first 360 was manufactured in August 2006, the second in September 2006. Almost a whole year after launch, and I get TWO 360s with defective drives IN A ROW.

I mean, what's the deal Microsoft? Shouldn't they have had all the mechanical kinks worked out by now? Now I have to go back to the store again to get this console swapped, and I'm out a $60 game.

Dammit I hate technology sometimes. :(

Methodis

Banned
Yeah, yeah, the guy in the 5 thousand dollar suit have two broken Xboxes, COME ON!

Get that reference and I love you.

Speevy

Banned
You're under warranty either way, and you should lie and say your disc was scratched. Gamestop is happy to do an even swap.

Speevy said:
You're under warranty either way, and you should lie and say your disc was scratched. Gamestop is happy to do an even swap.

I wouldn't be lying about the disc, though. The console did scratch it. Unfortunately I'm up in Canada, so I resorted to Wal-Mart for the 360. :(

Methodis said:
Yeah, yeah, the guy in the 5 thousand dollar suit have two broken Xboxes, COME ON!

Get that reference and I love you.

Yeah, yeah. The guy in the eight thousand dollar suit, and the four broken xboxes and the crapped out DLP isn't gonna go out and just buy new ones. COME ON.

:D

pCeSlAyEr

if your 360's both contained a hitachi drive well I believe you... the same thing happened to me.. the part of the assembly that locks the disc into place b4 spinning is crap... the magnet is held down by 3 thin little plastic things that snapped off.. im guessing when it changes speeds... well it caused the disc not to spin and make an aweful noise... I super glued the magnet back in and its worked fine since...

as for the scratches going in a straight line from the laser... who are you kidding? if it was the laser they would be in a circle around the disc due to the disc spinning...

pCeSlAyEr said:
as for the scratches going in a straight line from the laser... who are you kidding? if it was the laser they would be in a circle around the disc due to the disc spinning...

I'm not kidding anyone. I bought Dead Rising last week, put it in my 360, and haven't removed it since. Nobody else in my house plays the damned thing. I'm not making this shit up.

Havoc

Banned
I've gone through 3 Xbox360's this week. 1st one purchased in August then died last Sunday, 2nd one I got on Tuesday and that's dead, returned it and got my 3rd one. WTF is up with MS's quality control department? :lol

pCeSlAyEr

disappeared said:
I'm not kidding anyone. I bought Dead Rising last week, put it in my 360, and haven't removed it since. Nobody else in my house plays the damned thing. I'm not making this shit up.
well take it back to the store and exhange the game... it does have 30 days...

pCeSlAyEr

Havoc said:
I've gone through 3 Xbox360's this week. 1st one purchased in August then died last Sunday, 2nd one I got on Tuesday and that's dead, returned it and got my 3rd one. WTF is up with MS's quality control department? :lol
really? thats crazy... whats your setup like?

Havoc said:

<----Your Avatar
Call Snoop & Chris. No more problems confirmed.

:D

Top Bottom