• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber In-App Tipping now Nationwide, Uber matching tips today

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nearly a month after rolling out the feature in three U.S. cities, Uber is launching in-app tipping nationwide, including in the District — allowing passengers to steer drivers an extra token of appreciation at the ends of their trips.

The feature, offered by Lyft since 2012, has long been sought by the ride-hailing giant’s workforce, and driver groups have said it’s long overdue.

Tipping officially launches in the District on Monday afternoon, an Uber spokesman said. As a bonus, Uber says it’ll match all tips dollar-for-dollar Tuesday, the first full day the feature will be available to drivers nationwide.

“We’re letting everyone know — both riders and drivers — that on Tuesday tips are twice as nice,” Uber said in an email to drivers. “You’ll get double the thanks for your awesome service.”

Here’s how it works, according to a blog post on Uber’s website:

In the app, drivers will receive a notification that they can now collect tips, and be prompted to tap an “accept tips” icon if they want to opt in.

Riders, meanwhile, will be given an option to add a tip when they rate their drivers at the end of a trip. The tip could be a preset amount — $1, $2 or $5 — or a custom amount they enter on their own.

Riders can add a tip at any time up to 30 days from the end of a trip. UberEats customers can also tip their drivers after deliveries, the company says.

Uber announced late last month that it would launch tipping in Minneapolis, Seattle and Houston — with an eventual rollout nationwide. The move was welcomed by regulators and driver advocates who said tipping was a step toward better wages and fairer treatment of drivers.

In a statement Monday, Lyft illustrated the impact of its tipping feature on its driver earnings, while issuing a characteristic jab at its chief competitor.

“Tipping isn’t new to us at Lyft,” Lyft spokeswoman Alexandra LaManna said. “We’ve offered in-app tipping since our earliest days because it was the right thing to do, and our drivers have earned an extra $250 million as a result.”

Uber’s move to activate tipping nationwide comes days after New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission passed a measure requiring tipping in ride-hailing apps citywide. Uber has said the decision to activate in-app tipping came independently of any legislation, and had been in the works for some time.

Still, the Independent Drivers’ Guild, which represents more than 50,000 app-based drivers in New York City, hailed the city ruling as a victory for its cause.

“Never doubt the power of organized workers to win big changes,” Jim Conigliaro Jr., a guild founder and Machinists Union official, said in a statement Thursday. “Tipping is a vitally important source of income for thousands of families who are struggling to make ends meet right now. We were proud to lead the way on tipping on behalf of drivers in New York City and across the nation.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-d-c-and-nationwide/?utm_term=.7096cab30a49

cj_iwakura

I feel like the bubble has pretty much burst in terms of profiting. Even on busy days, its not that active. I guess its too popular now.

mdubs

Banned
67b.jpg

Paz

The best part of using Uber when I visited the US was that it eliminated god damn tipping from one of my daily activities.

Get it together American friends!

BasicMath

Privatize profit, socialize risk. There's a tip for ya.
It's an amazing and highly innovative approach. It's almost magical.

It'll be interesting to see how long it'll be before it's required or they make your phone sound an alarm if you don't tip or something.

Biske

Tipping really needs to die.

Not because giving people money for doing a good job should die, but because employers should be doing that.

rucury

Banned
Everyone who defends tipping culture should take a cold hard look in the mirror. This shit is so backwards.

Typing this from inside an Uber.

My family and I have been using Uber all week in LA during our vacation. I know pretty much everything about the company sucks, but thank God I can finally tip the drivers today. If Uber actually gave a shit, they'd make matching drivers' tips permanent and not a one-day thing. Or, you know, raise their wages. At least I can help the individual drivers in some way.

I'm going to try switching to Lyft when I'm back in South Florida, but I don't know how prevalent Lyft drivers are there.

99Luffy

Banned
My rule. If they beg for tip, they get none. Otherwise $1 aint bad. I applaud uber for at least not using percentages.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
God fucking dammit.

The ENTIRE reason I prefer Uber over cabs is the no tipping. That's it, that's why I like it. No pressure, no worries, just pay that shit right off the bat and you're good to go.

I fucking tip for everything already (Toronto area), this is the one area I still have. Fuck off.

EvetS

What's to stopping the driver and passenger from splitting the money matched by Uber if both agree to paying an extra high tip?

I pay a $100 tip and the driver gives me back $150, we each get $50 from Uber?

cj_iwakura

God fucking dammit.

The ENTIRE reason I prefer Uber over cabs is the no tipping. That's it, that's why I like it. No pressure, no worries, just pay that shit right off the bat and you're good to go.

I fucking tip for everything already (Toronto area), this is the one area I still have. Fuck off.

You could, uh, just not do it. It's optional.

God fucking dammit.

You're human, you have a brain, you can make choices, it's called being human. Jesus christ. Who knew it was this difficult not to tip for some people.

God fucking dammit.

Yup

Top Bottom