• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Fight Night 144 OT Assunção vs. Moraes 2

Background:
The event will be the third that the promotion has hosted in the state capital of Ceará, following UFC on Fuel TV: Nogueira vs. Werdum in June 2013, and UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum in March of 2017.[1]

A rematch between Raphael Assunção and former WSOF Bantamweight ChampionMarlon Moraes has been slated to serve as the event headliner.[2] The pairing previously met in June 2017 at UFC 212 with Assunção winning the fight via split decision.[3]

As a result of the cancellation of UFC 233, a middleweight bout between Markus Perezand promotional newcomer Anthony Hernandez was rescheduled for this event.[4]

A strawweight bout between Marina Rodriguez and Alexa Grasso was scheduled to take place at this event. However, it was reported on December 17 that Rodriguez pulled out of the event due to a hand injury.[5]The pair was rescheduled to UFC on ESPN 2.[6]

Dmitry Sosnovskiy was scheduled to face Junior Albini at the event. However Sosnovskiy pulled out of the fight in early January after undergoing surgery to correct a recent injury. Albini will now face promotional newcomer Jairzinho Rozenstruik.[7]
205989.jpg

Main

fqiWT5T.jpg

Prelim

UHC7sUZ.jpg

Saw original fight from 212, it was pretty close and could've gone either way, I had Assunção Edge it.

More excited to see Aldo and Khabibs cousin on prelims.

Not that much promo as of yet, will try and keep up to date, though a care bear that loves MMA is about.

First thought is I am picking Moraes. Gotta think on it some more, though. I would like to see winner of this fight go against TJ, though I realize that situation is a bit of a mess now after the Henry fight

Never heard of the chicks fighting, need to research

Diaper Dude is back

Last edited:
This card is SSSSS SSSSSS SSSTACKKKKEDDDDD. Excited to see how Walker follows up the hype after becoming Roundtrees dad. David Teymur always bring hype for me, his striking is so savage. Aldo, Moraes, just banger after banger.

I like Teymur. That’s an interesting fight against Oliveira
"Slowly ascending the ranks, there is an intense, aggressive Swedish striker with a goofy Conor McGregor impression. UFC lightweight David Teymur (7-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) has done much to capture the hearts of fans with his formidable standup attack, accompanied by his confusing, vaguely sexual trash talk."
giphy.gif

Source
He's fucking hilarious and a hard worker, so backing him definitely.

"Slowly ascending the ranks, there is an intense, aggressive Swedish striker with a goofy Conor McGregor impression. UFC lightweight David Teymur (7-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) has done much to capture the hearts of fans with his formidable standup attack, accompanied by his confusing, vaguely sexual trash talk."
giphy.gif

Source
He's fucking hilarious and a hard worker, so backing him definitely.

LOL I loved this season. Great moment. “Take care of your underwears!” and then Fili is like “....lolwut???”

In other news.....

Did anyone watch Bellator last night?

Sad seeing Pico go lights out. He started well. Is he just a glass cannon, all power no chin? Too reckless?

LOL I loved this season. Great moment. “Take care of your underwears!” and then Fili is like “....lolwut???”

In other news.....

Did anyone watch Bellator last night?

Sad seeing Pico go lights out. He started well. Is he just a glass cannon, all power no chin? Too reckless?
Yeah was decent card
Pico landed a decent shot that got a knockdown and tried to finish it by going into the pocket. His opponent landed a good right that finished it. Inexperience got him.

Bader just needed a left hook to finish the emperor. Cheesy first match competitors story was sweet + Chris Pratt in his corner.

Yeah was decent card
Pico landed a decent shot that got a knockdown and tried to finish it by going into the pocket. His opponent landed a good right that finished it. Inexperience got him.

Bader just needed a left hook to finish the emperor. Cheesy first match competitors story was sweet + Chris Pratt in his corner.

There is a pretty good article on MMAFighting today comparing Pico's early struggles to Max Holloway's.

Kid definitely has an incredible toolset. If he really wanted to take the safe route he could probably wrestle-fuck most any 145er in Bellator. His boxing skills, which are impressive, seem to be his default mode of output in all his fights thus far.

That left that knocked him out was thrown beautifully and landed flush, but I feel a more savvy fighter could have seen that coming and rolled with it a little bit, Pico kind of had tunnel vision.

Interesting language from NSAC regarding KHABIB/McGregor punishments and pre-right trash talk moving forward

What are your thoughts on “policing” trash talk in fight promotion?

Last edited:
Trash talk is part of it. Mohammed Ali was the best at it. Mostly classy but he had some nasty ones.

Conor can be entertaining but is a habitual line crosser. Try to stay classy, you're afforded a few mulligans but going over the top can have unforeseen circumstances.

Griffin had the first then ran out of steam.

Taila should've refused that fight, 7 pounds over is closer to next weight class.

Perez with a good start to the second and a quick submission, great first round and good end to the prelims.

Edit: she was 3 pounds over, frota I think was seven over.

Last edited:
This chick who missed weight by by 7 pounds is huge. Looks like she has no business fighting at this class

I’m rooting for Souza hard. She throws pretty crisp hands, I like her style

EHHHH I probably scored it for the weight misser but I’m not complaining, I’m glad Souza won. Hate when fighters miss weight by a “i just quit” amount like 7 pounds. Take the L and move up a Division

Top Bottom