• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 1, 2024 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

GiBiz article but with less data.
Hogwarts Legacy remained at No.1 for the first UK physical charts of 2024, experiencing a surge on PS5 despite an overall drop in sales of 46%, GfK's report showed.

Avalanche Software's title was 2023's biggest physical game in the UK, and has continued its success into the new year.

EA Sports FC 24 came in at No.2 with a 9% increase in sales, moving up the charts from its No.6 position last week pushing Super Mario Bros Wonder to No.3.
Mortal Kombat 11 rose from No.8 to No.4 due to price promotions on PS5, followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at No.5 in spite of a 50% sales decrease.

The UK boxed charts saw one new entry this week, with The Sims 4: For Rent debuting at No.16.

Elsewhere, a few titles re-entered the charts thanks to retailer discounts including It Takes Two, Ring Fit Adventure, the Mafia Trilogy, the Dark Souls Trilogy, and Bluey: The Video Game.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Isn't it roughly 50/50 in the UK?
So take the physical numbers x2 :pie_thinking:
Last report was around 50/50 with the Series S slightly ahead I believe. Xbox users were already largely digital last gen when all their consoles had disc drives. Obviously, the split is heavy toward PlayStation overall, but I can't imagine these UK physical numbers are worth much to figure out the actual split.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No, but yes they would have had to pay a shit ton, game will be “free on games pass” it’ll sell very few units, and will be missing out on the biggest platform by far. They’ll have had to negotiate covering those lost earnings. If for instance it was expected to cost 200mil in dev, but projected revenue of 800mil cross platform (plus the fact it’s Disney so the value is also brand extension/mindshare), microsoft won’t need to be just covering development cost, they’ll need to be covering the lost profits for what pre acquisition (when it was originally in negotiation) would have been multi platform.

Blade (assuming it’s not on PlayStation) will probably cost them less as they’ve not had to change the terms, that would have been negotiated with it already in mind…but still won’t have been cheap, particularly as they are trying to revitalise the blade franchise.

Microsoft have obviously decided it’s worth hedging their bets. I’d love to see one day just how much these deals are costing them, but we probably need an insomniac style hack to ever find out.

All that said, the current rumblings about 1st party xbox games going multiplatform could feed into this. Time will tell on that.
The part that we now know is for Sony to have Spiderman exclusive, they had to guarantee 6 million unit sales PER GAME! Plus Sony had to give Marvel 15%-20% for every game sale.

And that's for the Playstation brand. Imagine what Microsoft would have to pay....

Skifi28

Surprising publishers still bother printing xbox discs with those numbers, is it even worth it? I can easily see them going digital only on Xbox in the next couple of years.

Its very sad to see Xbox owers don't buying games. How the heck they want to move up games if you guys don't give a fuck about buying them? Stupid lazy people thinking of waiting everything to go to GP, dissapointing.
Uh that's exactly as MS intended though. Their started goal in the leaked emails was to spend Sony out of business and the method they chose was to devalue gaming with a Netflix style subscription in order to choke off Sony's revenue streams from selling games and drive them to bankruptcy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Uh that's exactly as MS intended though. Their started goal in the leaked emails was to spend Sony out of business and the method they chose was to devalue gaming with a Netflix style subscription in order to choke off Sony's revenue streams from selling games and drive them to bankruptcy.

Something no one in the media has asked MS about yet.

Pelta88

When it comes to PS marketing deals/rights and exclusives SFV is one of the most significant by some margin. We know it’s almost commonplace for pubs to choose install/PS as it has the most potential. But SFV going exclusive has to be the most devastating of all them.

Effectively, Sony removed an “entire genre” from XB’s platform. 1% for the most popular FG game?! On a platform that previously would split the fgc in Europe 50/50?

I wonder how Phil will PR those numbers…

When it comes to PS marketing deals/rights and exclusives SFV is one of the most significant by some margin. We know it’s almost commonplace for pubs to choose install/PS as it has the most potential. But SFV going exclusive has to be the most devastating of all them.

Effectively, Sony removed an “entire genre” from XB’s platform. 1% for the most popular FG game?! On a platform that previously would split the fgc in Europe 50/50?

I wonder how Phil will PR those numbers…
SFV isn't even close to be the biggest selling franchise in fighting games. Both Mortal Kombat and Tekken outsell it by a wide margin. It's a big deal in the FGC because of OMGEVO but only the hardcores actually care about SFV that much.

In terms of exclusives, there is no single exclusive with the power of a Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, or GTA. But Sony's constant locking up of exclusives in many niche genres amounts to death by a thousand cuts, you basically default to buying PS if you want access to anything beyond the top 5 franchises in the world and there's no reason not to because the top 5 will always be present. This is why MS bought Activision Blizzard, only by denying one of the top 5 like CoD from PS could they have forcefully moved the needle against PS but the pesky government regulators were busy breathing down their necks and made sure CoD couldn't be made exclusive without significant and potentially catastrophic consequences for MS.

Last edited:

Brucey

Last report was around 50/50 with the Series S slightly ahead I believe. Xbox users were already largely digital last gen when all their consoles had disc drives. Obviously, the split is heavy toward PlayStation overall, but I can't imagine these UK physical numbers are worth much to figure out the actual split.
What's the selection like in physical stores? Is the Xbox section shrinking compared to PS4/5 and switch? I can't imagine these physical sales numbers encouraging stores to stock much on the Xbox side.

Top Bottom