• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 6, 2024 (Feb 04 - Feb 10)

The UK Charts look somewhat familiar this week, as both Hogwarts Legacy and EA Sports FC 24 return to positions one and two respectively. This means that Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has now slipped down to take the bronze in what will no doubt be a blow to Warner Bros. Games after just a couple of weeks on the market.

Mario, however, has clearly borrowed Link's 'Iron Boots' this week, as both Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe remain fixed in place at number four and five respectively. Good going, sir. Over on the PS5, Helldivers II makes its debut at number seven; hardly the result Sony would have liked, but still, it's there (and overall sales have indicated a successful launch for the game).
Party game Gang Beasts has also landed at number twenty-five this week, with a whopping 94% of its sales attributed to the Switch.

Here's your look at this week's top 40 in full, with platform breakdowns for all of the titles available on other consoles alongside the Switch:

Last WeekThis WeekGamePlatform Split
71Hogwarts LegacySwitch 53%, PS5 24%, PS4 11%, Xbox 8%
62EA Sports FC 24PS5 36%, Switch 31%, PS4 20%, Xbox 13%
13Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
44Super Mario Bros. Wonder
55Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
NEW7Helldivers II
98Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
39Tekken 8
1110Minecraft
1211Marvel's Spider-Man 2
1012Grand Theft Auto V
1613The Last of Us Part II: Remastered
1414Animal Crossing: New Horizons
215Persona 3 Reload
-16Resident Evil 4
1717Nintendo Switch Sports
1318Prince of Persia: The Lost CrownPS5 44%, Switch 44%, PS4, 7%, Xbox 5%
2019The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
-20Mortal Kombat 11 UltimatePS5 63%, PS4 32%, Xbox 5%, Switch 1%
2221WrectfestPS5 98%, Switch 1%, PS4 0%
3022Assassin's Creed Mirage
3523Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaSwitch 68%, PS5 17%, PS4 12%, Xbox 3%
1924NBA 2K24PS5 42%, PS4 29%, Switch 16%, Xbox 12%
-25Gang BeastsSwitch 94%, PS4 6%
2426The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
2327Bluey: The Videogame
2128Red Dead RedemptionPS4 57%, Switch 43%
2529Mario Party Superstars
-30Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
3131Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition
-32Batman: Arkham Trilogy
2733Super Mario Odyssey
2834Red Dead Redemption 2
3235Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 53%, PS5 29%, Xbox 9%, PS4 6%
3636New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
3737Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII ReunionPS5 50%, Switch 38%, PS4 9%, Xbox 3%
3438Pokémon Violet
2639The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY EditionPC 70%, PS4 27%, Switch 1%, Xbox 1%
-40Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

[Sales Data Compiled by GfK]

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Over on the PS5, Helldivers II makes its debut at number seven; hardly the result Sony would have liked, but still, it's there (and overall sales have indicated a successful launch for the game).
So should Sony be happy or disappointed because this sentence is sending such a confusing message.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
But why would you buy the games on Switch lol

Not British but I buy stuff on Switch because I like that system? Seems like a silly question?

Couldn't give a rats ass about graphics, and the added option of playing it portable makes the Switch version the best option for me most of the time.

Baki

So should Sony be happy or disappointed because this sentence is sending such a confusing message.
Missing digital so this numbers is meaningless on its own and dev has already shared that it sold 1 million units in 3 days.

LakeOf9

Not British but I buy stuff on Switch because I like that system? Seems like a silly question?

Couldn't give a rats ass about graphics, and the added option of playing it portable makes the Switch version the best option for me most of the time.
Fair enough and I absolutely don’t mean to denigrate your preferences! but even portable you have better options for most third party games

Chastten

Banned
Fair enough and I absolutely don’t mean to denigrate your preferences! but even portable you have better options for most third party games

Define better?

I mean, the Steam Deck and all the windows handhelds are better graphically, but not nearly as plug & play as the Switch is.

PS5 + the portable thingy could do the trick, but they're quite expensive and I hate the PlayStation controller button layout with a burning passion.

For most people who're not on GAF, if they already own a Switch, then there's no reason to not buy a game on there because 'muh graphics'

LakeOf9

Define better?

I mean, the Steam Deck and all the windows handhelds are better graphically, but not nearly as plug & play as the Switch is.

PS5 + the portable thingy could do the trick, but they're quite expensive and I hate the PlayStation controller button layout with a burning passion.

For most people who're not on GAF, if they already own a Switch, then there's no reason to not buy a game on there because 'muh graphics'
Better as in, better graphics and performance, yes, but better and more options for controls and input, mods to help you address whatever issues you have with a game, better sales, and so on.

But the plug and play nature is a good point, I understand.

pasterpl

Do xboxers buy games? These charts are a lot single digit compared to PS4 PS5 and switch

Going by the numbers MK became a de facto exclusive.

it’s boxed games, so it represents probably less than 10% of the market

Digital sales accounted for almost nine out of every 10 video games sold in the UK in 2022, according to a trade body.
The digital entertainment and retail association (ERA) said 89.5% of games sold had been digital downloads and the remaining 10.5% actual physical copies.

In addition, Xbox owners favour digital buys.

pasterpl

not sure what you are talking about, while I can agree to some degree re windows handhelds (with Xbox app/gamepass app you are getting console like experience), steam deck is like a console experience already. Most of the games that are supported you install and play, that’s it. Got switch as well and for me experience across both is very similar.

pasterpl

XBox hide the numbers just for people like you lol
They can hide digital numbers but we have got GfK ownership numbers and we know that ps5 is almost half of the uk market, with Xbox just over quarter. Also we have got stats from some other games publishers eg ABK

yes, they made more on playstation but it is not % difference as presented in these boxed charts

pasterpl

That includes PC and mobile which don't have the options for physical so obviously the percentage is much higher for consoles where physical does exist.

this is global stats, consoles only

Data analytics firm New Zoo has revealed in a newly published report that 72% of video games sold on consoles during 2022 were digital, while boxed video games accounted for 28%. Nintendo doesn’t generally provide digital sales for its first party games, so if they weren’t included within this report as I suspect, then digital video games sales would have been even higher than the figure provided.

Data for 2022, and we know that digital sales are increasing vs boxed sales on consoles. Data doesn’t include Switch which also favours digital so we are looking 7-8 games sold out of each 10 sold on consoles in 2022 were digital.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Data for 2022, and we know that digital sales are increasing vs boxed sales on consoles. Data doesn’t include Switch which also favours digital so we are looking 7-8 games sold out of each 10 sold on consoles in 2022 were digital.

Which proves my point. The percentage is indeed quite a bit higher when we are only talking about consoles.

Switch digital sales are 50.2% so right at 50/50.

But your point about Xbox being nearly entirely digital is correct.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

2022 was still in the Covid years. Check out the numbers for 2023.

Topher

Gold Member
Another week showing less % of Xbox considering the platform split.
Was it still worth developing a game for Xbox nowadays?

I think an install base of 20-something million is probably worth it. Whether or not it is worth it to produce physical copies is a different story.

Top Bottom