• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima 5 Remake : Lazarus out

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Fucking hawt. Playing FFIV on GBA gives me a hankerin' for the real shit -- Ultima. I remember reading about this project waaay back in 2001 or something. I'm glad to see that it's finally done. Now I just gotta find my copy of Dungeon Siege....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just put an hour into it... and it's pretty damn impressive.

They modded a lot of stuff into the game, like the reagent system, night/day cycles, moongates, etc. One large, continous world as well.

It's very faithful so far, from the character dialog (it's been awhile, but I think they added a lot more dialog to the NPCs than in the origina) to the gypsy deciding your class in the beginning.

It's like playing Ultima 5, with the living world of Ultima VII, in full 3D.... with average art :).

Really digging it so far.

Sweet. And my portrait is in the game. I won a contest and sent them a pic and got my portrait to be one of the guards on the island that is ruled by the oppression (forgot the name of the island though) :)

chespace

FlyinJ said:
I just put an hour into it... and it's pretty damn impressive.

They modded a lot of stuff into the game, like the reagent system, night/day cycles, moongates, etc. One large, continous world as well.

It's very faithful so far, from the character dialog (it's been awhile, but I think they added a lot more dialog to the NPCs than in the origina) to the gypsy deciding your class in the beginning.

It's like playing Ultima 5, with the living world of Ultima VII, in full 3D.... with average art :).

Really digging it so far.

Awesome! I love/hate the reagent system, and those night/day cycles really gave the game some atmosphere, even in its dinky, 2D sprite incarnation.

Here's the sad part: I can't find my copy of Dungeon Siege. I am cry.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I picked up a copy at EB today for 9.99 after reading that this was released.

One of the things that's bugging me is that I want to go through people's stuff to read books and whatnot, but that damn virtue system is most likely in the game and it will consider it stealing. And screw me in the long run.

chespace

FlyinJ said:
I picked up a copy at EB today for 9.99 after reading that this was released.

One of the things that's bugging me is that I want to go through people's stuff to read books and whatnot, but that damn virtue system is most likely in the game and it will consider it stealing. And screw me in the long run.

Yet another awesome thing about Ultima. :)

You could always just screw virtue and go bad, yeah?

Ultima VII was strange because you were the avatar, and yet, you could steal and tresspass as much as you'd like.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
chespace said:
Yet another awesome thing about Ultima. :)

You could always just screw virtue and go bad, yeah?

Ultima VII was strange because you were the avatar, and yet, you could steal and tresspass as much as you'd like.

Your party members would leave you after you caused a certain amount of chaos ie, stealing, murdering, messing shit up, etc.

teepo

!!!!

i need to buy that 9.99 copy of ds i saw at target the other day.

i've actually been dying to bust out my ultima collection cd the past few days.

Gattsu25

Banned
Holy shit...there's something about DS that I don't get

this is gonna be the THIRD time I'm gonna buy this damn game

where the fuck did my first two copies go? =\

Gattsu25

Banned
well piss

$20 at my Walmart (wouldn't be added to NPD though so I'm glad)...gonna have to check EB tomorrow

edit: damn I'm tired...3 am here...needs some sleep

Sean*O

Thanks for the update. Downloading it now. Used to play the Ultima series with my dad when I was a kid. Gonna pick up a copy of DS and burn this game to a CD rom as a stocking stuffer for my dad this year.

Does this Mod have a party system or do you play with 1 character?

I prefer RPGs without a party System like Gothic, it's just too much for me to take care of five characters or so.

I played Ultima VIII, Ultima IX for a short time and Ultima Online for a long time, so I'm really interested in this.

But I'd have to buy Dungeon Siege, so I'm not sure if it's worth it...

Xellotah

Cool.... Never played ultima 5 (My ultima experiences started at 7). You can pick up a copy of dungeon Siege at amazon for less than a tenner.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
MrPing1000 said:
Hooray for EA not laying the smackdown on this mod.

There is an Ultima 1 remake like this as well. Lord British said that as long as they weren't trying to profit from it, he doesn't mind it. Maybe that rule was in place for this. Still doesn't explain their refusal for System Shock to not get redone

Quick note to anyone installing DS for the first time just to play this mod: You HAVE to patch it up to the newest version (unless you have the Legends of Arrana pack). The mod launches with the out-of-box original DS, but the graphics won't display properly. So if you only have the original DS be sure to download the patch from the DS web site before installing the mod.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Agent Icebeezy said:
There is an Ultima 1 remake like this as well. Lord British said that as long as they weren't trying to profit from it, he doesn't mind it. Maybe that rule was in place for this. Still doesn't explain their refusal for System Shock to not get redone

did Lord British have anything to do with System Shock? that might be the reason.. he must still have some control over the IP..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any impressions? Worth the download?

Edit - Hell. It's always worth the download. Worth the installation of DS? How's the music?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Coming soon?

Very cool of them to offer up the complete soundtrack as a free download. Can't wait to hear it. I just hope that's not the best part of the siegelet!

kasavin

I need to try this. Ultima V is my all-time favorite RPG. Good timing on the release, just in time for Richard "Lord British" Garriott's well-deserved induction into the AIAS hall of fame.

Javaman

I found a Pre-owned copy of the expansion pack which includes the original version at a local EB but couldn't find a cd key on the cd folder. Is one required for installation?

Top Bottom