• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under-appreciated game: Disaster Report

Eric-GCA

Banned
I just brough out this game today after quite a while, and was very impressed with its design, and how suprisingly fun it is to try and survive while everything is destroyed all around you.

Of course, a lot of things could have been implemented better, namely graphic detail and some framerate issues.

Still, it's a shame the game didn't sell, given a bigger budget and better programming skills, I think it would have been a big hit.

I'd enjoy nothing more than if some developer (Japanese or even Western) would try to make a game in the same vain, where you would have to survive an earthquake or some other disaster in a recognized (famous) city. Heck, I'd try and make a scenario of trying to escape San Francisco if it was hit with an incredible earthquake.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoyed it as well, but the framerate issues REALLY brought it down for me. It isn't that it drops frames or becomes choppy looking (which I COULD deal with)...in this case the actual game slows to a crawl. Half of the time you are playing the game is running slow motion...

I love it, even though it's technically horrendous. The empty city reminds me of ICO sometimes...

Speaking of it, does anyone have impressions of Sakurasaka Shouboutai? It's supposed to be a follow up, with fire replacing the earthquakes. I heard it got 32/40 in Famitsu.

FnordChan

Here's another vote for "flawed but loved". Besides, it's loaded full of IREM in-jokes - how can you not appreciate that? If you like adventure games, don't let the (admittedly problematic) frame rate keep you from giving this a shot - the concept and atmosphere are fantastic.

FnordChan

Eric-GCA

Banned
Yeah, the main thing is that the issues are what stopped it from being a truly great title, which is why I feel that a more updated game in the same style should be made. Just get a developer that knows how to push polygon count while keeping a totally consistent framerate and you're good to go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's interesting is that R-Type Final was ALSO filled with MASSIVE slowdowns. The 3rd stage runs in slow motion nearly the entire time! What is IREM doing?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Speaking of R-type Final, I just unlocked the 'Disaster Report' ship yesterday.

It's got a VERY devastating Beam weapon.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Disatser Report is one of the few true adventure games this generation. It has a compelling story, clever puzzles, interesting characters and the graphics are not too shabby. I wish they made more of this type of games. It's a pity that the adventure genre is so underrepresented on consoles :(

Eric-GCA

Banned
Yeah, true "Adventure" games are quite rare these days with most being Action or "Action/Adventure". More ICO's and Disaster Reports would be nice, but I guess most publisher's have come to the conclusion that those types of games just don't make enough money.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah I thought I was in the minority by thinking this game was pretty decent too. Of course there were many flaws but somehow you overlook them while you're walking through a city basically crumbling around you. Thought it was great personally.

I agree, it was fun despite the numerous flaws.. I thought something was wrong at first when the game was running in slow motion.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i just picked this up this week for $10. i'm going to check it out after i finish beyond good & evil (which is fan-fucking-tastic).

callous

I really really like Disaster Report. I'm guessing I'm about halfway through and slowdown hasn't bothered me at all so far.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, Disaster Report was fantastic. A triumph of art design, and the sanest survival horror style gameplay implementation to date.

atomsk

Party Pooper
probably my favorite game of last year. i bust it out every few months to play through it again. i still havent gotten all the compasses, and i refuse to consult an FAQ on the matter. i prefer exploring.

I just ordered a copy from ebgames.com. I'm excited to finally play it, I've been meaning to pick it up since it was first released here.

Top Bottom