• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using PSP as a manga viewer

BuddyC

Just converted the entire run of X-Statix and the Superman Secret Identity miniseries. I think I'm in love.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Amir0x said:
Yay, now all I need is a PSP :(

seriously, the only thing that amazes me MORE each day aside from the wonders of my PSP screen is the fact that you STILL DON'T HAVE ONE. i've seen you active in just about every single DS and PSP thread ... i think EVER... and you still don't have one! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:
seriously, the only thing that amazes me MORE each day aside from the wonders of my PSP screen is the fact that you STILL DON'T HAVE ONE. i've seen you active in just about every single DS and PSP thread ... i think EVER... and you still don't have one! :lol

hahaha, well, I have to do something to tide the wait from system launch to system launch. Fortunately DS came in the US first so I didn't have to wait for that one so much. But, especially for PSP, I don't feel comfortable getting one without a warranty that will hold up on these shores. It's just a big investment (especially since I've already put 250+ into 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duos, so I need to make sure my baby works for a long time ;)) and I want to make sure I cover my ass with extended warranties and all the pipe works.

And, believe it or not, I'm still not "sold" on the PSP. I mean, I'm sold on it as a image viewer (I have so many scanned comics to read...) and as a video player, but for games and mp3s...eh...we'll see. :)

chespace

Amir0x said:
hahaha, well, I have to do something to tide the wait from system launch to system launch. Fortunately DS came in the US first so I didn't have to wait for that one so much. But, especially for PSP, I don't feel comfortable getting one without a warranty that will hold up on these shores. It's just a big investment (especially since I've already put 250+ into 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duos, so I need to make sure my baby works for a long time ;)) and I want to make sure I cover my ass with extended warranties and all the pipe works.

And, believe it or not, I'm still not "sold" on the PSP. I mean, I'm sold on it as a image viewer (I have so many scanned comics to read...) and as a video player, but for games and mp3s...eh...we'll see. :)

You know you can get a 1 gig pro duo stick for like 120 bucks, right?

And how could you not be sold on the games for PSP and be sold on games for DS? They both have the same potentiality, except PSP has way better stuff coming down the pipes.

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:
You know you can get a 1 gig pro duo stick for like 120 bucks, right?

I know. I got two 1GB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duos, one for 118 and one for 154. Actually, it cost me closer to 300 dollars than 250 altogether. But yeah, I found out very early on that if you use froogle you could find some fantastic deals. Haven't been burnt yet :)

chespace said:
And how could you not be sold on the games for PSP and be sold on games for DS? They both have the same potentiality, except PSP has way better stuff coming down the pipes.

Well, maybe it's an effect of DS being "here and now", but I think it really has a bright future. Advance Wars DS has really got my attention, and Castlevania DS is now one of my most anticipated games. Don't care for Animal Crossing DS or Nintendogs, but Meteos and Hitofude (when it comes to the US) will also last me for endless hours I'm sure. There's also Pac Pix and Kirby Magic Paintbrush (I'm not a fan of Kirby games, but using the stylus to "paint" his paths seems brilliant) and Yoshi Touch! and Go and Wario Ware, so that's a really bright pack of games for me. Of course this is just anticipation, I haven't played any of the games on this list so maybe it'll end up all being a big disappointment.

For PSP, I want some games. But I'm just not sold on it. For me, there's too many unknowns. I can't judge it until I put my hands on it. I don't like the position of the analog stick from the way it looks. I don't know how nice the nub will feel for 3D games yet. I don't know if PSP games are going to feel like great handheld games or mediocre console games, and I'm worried that there might not be a decent middle ground.

Most of these questions will be answered when I play a kiosk, but it's just not something I can be sold on until I play it. I wasn't sold on DS until I played it either, of course.

chespace

That's ok. When you actually pick one up and play a PSP in your hands, it will all make sense. Soon!

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:
That's ok. When you actually pick one up and play a PSP in your hands, it will all make sense. Soon!

We'll see!

Everyone has done such a good job hyping it at GAF that I feel that it'll have a hard time living up to expectations now ;)

Sho Nuff

Banned
I don't know of any PSP forums, but if you do, let them know that this is available. Drag and drop CBZ and CBR support may be coming soon.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Just tried it out now, program does rock.

Strange occurence though, I converted a bunch of translated Zelda OOT mangas from here and twice when I've tried to change the view mode on the PSP, it's crashed. Forcing me to power off and back on again. Quite strange.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Another use for this program, quick and easy forum friendly image posting! :lol

Saves me opening up photoshop just to resize images anyway.

P1010014.JPG

Man, I've defected to the dark side, bought a PStwo 2 weeks before getting a PSP. *Hugs PSP*

Not sure why my PSP was crashing, best way to avoid it is to not try and change the zoom I guess. No reason to really anyway.

BuddyC

Sho Nuff said:
I don't know of any PSP forums, but if you do, let them know that this is available. Drag and drop CBZ and CBR support may be coming soon.
:O

My only suggestion is for the program to create folders based off the names of the .cbr and .cbz archives. That way I could drag in Issue1.cbr and it would create the directory Issue1 and place all the files in there.

Also, I tried for about ten minutes last night to take a nice looking picture of my PSP displaying comics and movies, but it never turns out well.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
BuddyChrist83 said:
:O

My only suggestion is for the program to create folders based off the names of the .cbr and .cbz archives. That way I could drag in Issue1.cbr and it would create the directory Issue1 and place all the files in there.

Also, I tried for about ten minutes last night to take a nice looking picture of my PSP displaying comics and movies, but it never turns out well.

I just turned flash off and took a photo face on, worked first time.

What are cbr and cbz files anyway?

chespace

I'm still using Thumbs and it works great.

Sho, just want to point out that your readme.txt is wrong when you say to change the horizontal size to 420... at 420, it's still slow. You had it right before at 480 (which makes viewing manga a real pleasure).

PSP 4 EVER.

chespace

BuddyChrist83 said:
Renamed .rar and .zip files that contain image files, basically. Stands for Comic Book .Zip and Comic Book .Rar.

On the PC, I use this sequential comic viewer that lets me leave manga files zipped up while I browse the images. It's very well done. I want zip support on PSP. :)

BuddyC

chespace said:
On the PC, I use this sequential comic viewer that lets me leave manga files zipped up while I browse the images. It's very well done. I want zip support on PSP. :)
Same here, on both counts. Though if Sho's program supports .cbr and .cbz in the next version, it would almost be the same. It'd be more than I initially hoped, at least - I was content with uncompressing the archives and waiting a few seconds for the images to clarify on the PSP. This is all just icing on the cake.

I thought the Game Boy would make a good simple text reader, and with the GBA Movie Player it is. I too recently wondered if PSP would be a good comic reader so I'm not surprised to see people doing this... but I don't think this is quite the perfect solution yet. At a resolution of 1024x768 if one fits an entire comics page on screen it comes to a width of about 530, and even then the text can sometimes be a bit hard to read. With PSP's width of 480 it could be even more difficult. I imagine it'd work very well for a majority of things, though.

Yet again it seems the PSP looks useful for a non-game thing; particularly pirated materials. Which seems cool for end users but for Sony a financially Bad Thing.

On a related note, I briefly experimented with taking daily comic strip sized things into GBA sizes for use with the GBA Movie Player, though as it currently only supports BMP it wouldn't be a very efficient solution.

Original, 634x173:
gywo1.gif

Resized to 586x160:
gywo2.gif

As much as one would see on the 240x160 screen at once:
gywo3.gif

Sho Nuff

Banned
For some reason, the PSP display is more "forgiving" than a monitor. Unless the page has ridiculously tiny type, comics are very readable.

Basically, I'm saying you just have to see it :)

chespace

pspmanga.jpg

Looks good to me. I don't normally flip it vertical like that but it's handy on occasion when the art and layout dictate as such...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Why the hell would you want to read comics on a PSP? All that work scanning the pages and adjusting them in an image editor... isn't it easier just bringing the comic along with you?

Sho Nuff

Banned
cybamerc said:
Why the hell would you want to read comics on a PSP? All that work scanning the pages and adjusting them in an image editor... isn't it easier just bringing the comic along with you?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

cybamerc said:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahaha

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Trying to create a Photoshop batch for manga and was wondering what screen sizing you guys were using? I know that the width should be 480, but what should the height be?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Just a thought, that digital EGM subscription that was free for a year, is there any way to convert that to something I can read on PSP? Probably be kinda difficult to read though.

Amir0x

Banned
cybamerc said:

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahhahaahha

:lol :lol :lol

CloudNL

cybamerc said:

:lol :lol :lol

Mangascreener.com ?

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Well turns out that iPSP optimizes the photos you load up in iPhoto to a 480 width by default. So no conversion scripts needed for Mac users.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Ive been asking that too, why on earth would anyone want to read manga on a PSP screen and have to go through all that trouble so that the pictures show up in a certain way. You guys will be bored with this in a few weeks

DCharlie

Banned
"Ive been asking that too, why on earth would anyone want to read manga on a PSP screen and have to go through all that trouble so that the pictures show up in a certain way. You guys will be bored with this in a few weeks"

.... it takes a drag and a drop to convert (a second or so) , then you can take it and drop it onto your PSP, which might burn another couple of seconds of time.

Following which, you can take X meg of scans - that's a hell of a lot of manga to have available - around with you.

The PSP takes up just over a glasses case in size, the equivalent amount of paper based manga would take up a small truck.

I don't understand why people can't see this as a good thing?

I stuck almost all the __ vs __ series on my PSP this morning, and it took me about 5 minutes total to convert the files. It wasn't like i had to juggle live grenades whilst speaking russian backwards.

Also, the other obvious boon is that it keeps your paper versions of the comics/manga protect by you not having to carry them around with you.

chespace

Orin GA said:
You guys will be bored with this in a few weeks

Baka. Almost all manga I read is scanslated, meaning it's shit that's not released in the U.S. Given a choice to read this stuff sitting in front of my PC or read it on the couch, or in bed, or on the way to work, or sitting on the can, well, which device is more "manga"-like? The PSP, sir. THE P-FUCKING-S-P.

I still buy paper manga, but only a handful as I'm pretty picky about what I read.

neptunes

JpegBook (substitute Ebook redear)

psp411_com-product-56-1.jpg

JpegBook allows you to turn text files into jpegs. The thing about this app is that you can also set the font, font size and even background of the Jpeg, allowing you to cram in as much or as little onto each 'page' as you want. Perhaps not an ideal way to read on your PSP, but it's a great idea, and it really isn't that much of a hassle to convert text files. And did we mention it's entirely free? For future versions, it would be great to see this app convert Doc / PDF's as well.
Download It here

neptunes said:
JpegBook (substitute Ebook redear)

psp411_com-product-56-1.jpg

Download It here
Obviously that would turn small text files into relatively ginormous sets of JPEGs, but that's still a pretty cool workaround solution until there's a proper solution available. Being able to contain the contents of many books/online articles/whatever in a small self-lit unit is a Good Thing.

BuddyC

So Superman: Secret Identity has a lot of two page spreads, which makes the text unreadable without further zoom. And zooming doesn't make it any more legible if they've been run through the image converter.

Alas, it's a small price to pay. But it'd only take a simple if statement (say, if horizontial resoultion is greater than X, then increase resolution for the conversion to 960) to rectify this. X could even be user-defined there, which may make things easier on the programming side.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ungrateful, I'm really not. The PSP Image Converter is a gift from the heavens. But if this mysterious G gets bored, well, I'm only trying to help :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK. Trying to find some of this stuff is tricky (unless you are into the scene I guess)

Can some people suggest places or manga to try out? I've not read much before - really just a bit of Maison Ikkoku, whatever Lum I could get my hands on, some Ranma and Dirty Pair (not flash)

saiyan23

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm reeeeally getting annoyed here. Hope someone can help me out. No matter what PSP photo app I use, and I think I've used all of the ones posted here. My PSP will not display comic pages in order, NOTHING I tried worked. I realize the PSP only sorts by date modified so I tried dragging pages one at a time to the unit, still shows up out of order. I also tried the program that OrdiTouch program that was posted here that enabled you to change the date modified on a file...... files still out of order. Am I doing something wrong here? Are these files supposed to be renamed or something? Thanks guys!

BuddyC

saiyan23 said:
Hey guys, I'm reeeeally getting annoyed here. Hope someone can help me out. No matter what PSP photo app I use, and I think I've used all of the ones posted here. My PSP will not display comic pages in order, NOTHING I tried worked. I realize the PSP only sorts by date modified so I tried dragging pages one at a time to the unit, still shows up out of order. I also tried the program that OrdiTouch program that was posted here that enabled you to change the date modified on a file...... files still out of order. Am I doing something wrong here? Are these files supposed to be renamed or something? Thanks guys!
Use PSPhoto 1.01

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=40716&highlight=psphoto

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sorry for the bump, but I figured it's better than posting a redundant thread.

Can someone please recommend the best software for managing and viewing manga on the PSP? 1.50 homebrew apps are ok from my end. I know there are more options than ever now, and would like a leg up, instead of wasting hours downloading and running shit.

Thanks.

I don't know if PSPhoto has an option for cases like this (missing a DLL; haven't bothered to find it), but I made a script for Paint Shop Pro 8 to increase the number of colors to 16 million if necessary, then resize the image to a width of 480; unless it's wider than it is tall in which case it resizes it to a width of 960. Then I batch process.

And to be up-to-the-minute picky JPEG Viewer 0.51 is out.

Top Bottom