• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War was probably the best thing I experienced all year.

Really enjoyed going through this. My favorite was collecting all the trinkets and reading the historical entries re: the battles, etc..

Grisby

Really liked it. I'm not much of an adventure game guy but the game kept me well entertained.

The ost is great.

Shads

Beautiful game and engaging story throughout to the very end. Probably my favorite Ubi-art game so far, and one of the more memorable games I've played this year. And surprisingly quite educational as well. It's pretty easy and not much replay value to it, but it's definitely a worthwhile experience for $15.

Valiant Hearts was without question my favorite gaming experience of the year so far. I feel like this game was designed for people like me: gameplay that doesn't trivialize or glamorize war; a small, focused story rather than an epic one; characters that have real lives that the war impacted.

In today's landscape where games without combat or murder are described as having "no gameplay", I will always be thankful that someone tried something like this. Sequel please!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I agree. I cried. For real. That surprised me, honestly, but the ending just hit me. The game was beautiful and well written and diverse and morose and just thee perfect length.

We need more games focused on small, personal journey's.
Amazingly refreshing to not have to "save the world" for once... And its immensely more personal and satisfying.

I agree. I cried. For real. That surprised me, honestly, but the ending just hit me. The game was beautiful and well written and diverse and morose and just thee perfect length.

We need more games focused on small, personal journey's.
Amazingly refreshing to not have to "save the world" for once... And its immensely more personal and satisfying.

i actually lost it when Karl came to and saw his son. I am a proud new father and for whatever reason that part made me burst into tears. Then came the real gut punch moments later. What a game.

ReaperXL7

yeah Ubi has done a good job this year imo as Child of Light, and Valiant hearts are two of my picks for game of the year 2014. I think GOTY lists are going to be very interesting this year with a heavy focus on games likes these and indie games as the AAA space has been fairly lacking overall.

Still some possibilities with stuff like Far Cry 4, Shadows of Mordor etc, but I'm just not sure any of them are going to stand out in that way right now. If your only into big huge AAA games then this year has probably been a disappointment so far, but if your into games in general I think its been pretty damn good.

I need more game in my game before i'll play this type of thing. Too often I hear sentiments like "the puzzles and gameplay were ok and serviceable but DAT STORY/ENDING" which usually means no buy for me with very few exceptions. For example, I took a chance on year walk when that came out and was absoulutely BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY. does this game have a presentation/story that is comparable to year walk in terms of impact? because year walk was god damn amazing. I actually think about it every now and then and get a little chill.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I do hope that the next game focuses more on real life events and make it more true to life. There was one part of the game that was just downright ridiculous.

John Harker

i actually lost it when Karl came to and saw his son. I am a proud new father and for whatever reason that part made me burst into tears. Then came the real gut punch moments later. What a game.

Yea. I've been dealing with grief myself lately, and while obviously my story isn't the same as the games, the game had such a resonance on a base level it just set me off.

Tip: notice how all the adult characters don't have eyes? But the children do? It's because adults are often blind to the horrors of war but children often see them naked and raw - and yet we fight on, oblivious to the affect on our future generations

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The PS4 version was the buggiest game I've seen in years. Looking at my download list it seems they still haven't patched it.
You've been warned.

I've been losing myself in WWI stuff lately. This would be the perfect time to play. It was on my radar a little while back, but then somehow I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Edit: The collectibles and it being surprisingly educational sounds great.

I enjoyed the story quiet a bit. It's well written and, yeah, the ending is touching.
The characters are likable, the music is great, and i even learned a thing or two. But this is not a good game. At all.

Puzzles are not that great, there's a lot of low rez blurry assets (which is really surprising after Rayman Legend), and the lack of a real animation work just ruins the artwork.
I'm not asking for a SNK frame per frame sprite animation. Just not this Afters Effects puppet tool thingy.

KodaRuss

The PS4 version was the buggiest game I've seen in years. Looking at my download list it seems they still haven't patched it.
You've been warned.

I don't believe I ran into any bugs on PS4?

Loved this game, great OST and the history/characters were all very solid. It is a short, cheap game, buy it. We need more of these different types of games in our world.

I think my favorite part was being able to scratch the dog behind the ears.

Cikay

So no news about the last character that was cut off from the final game, George the aviator ? It was rumored his story would appear in a DLC.

megalowho

I do hope that the next game focuses more on real life events and make it more true to life. There was one part of the game that was just downright ridiculous.
I thought the elements of magical realism added significantly to the game, would be a lot less interesting without them. They don't trivialize the setting as much as they play on romanticized notions of what we thought the adventure of a Great War would entail.

http://ww1thebesthistoryassignmentever.weebly.com/the-romanticism-of-world-war-one.html

Can see how a couple of sequences could undercut the seriousness but they worked for me, shifting tones and all. Thought they helped mix up the campaign too, usually when adventure games deviate from puzzles things go south fast but Valiant Hearts has a decent amount of gameplay variety for such a story focused experience.

antibolo

Banned
Skipped on the game because I assumed it would get a Vita port two months later like Child of Light did, but apparently it's not coming, isn't it?

Exentryk

Downloaded it and played for half an hour. Got distracted by the TGS leaks, but the game grabbed me completely for that half an hour. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Soo good :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through now.

It has been fantastic so far.

However, I have one complaint:

The dog's barking. Now, I absolutely love dogs. I love dogs in games. But this dog is so goddamn annoying.

First of all, it barks and whines constantly. There is no rhyme nor reason to it. At first I thought it must be trying to tell me something, but nope. It's just barking and barking and barking and whining and barking.

Secondly, it has a REALLY annoying bark and whine. It's right at this certain "piercing" threshold that makes me flinch every time I hear it. It's kind of like right at the infant crying meter.

nym

Neo Member
Really enjoyed my time with this game. Highly recommend. Great characters, great art, good story.

mattp

The dog's barking. Now, I absolutely love dogs. I love dogs in games. But this dog is so goddamn annoying.

First of all, it barks and whines constantly. There is no rhyme nor reason to it. At first I thought it must be trying to tell me something, but nope. It's just barking and barking and barking and whining and barking.

Secondly, it has a REALLY annoying bark and whine. It's right at this certain "piercing" threshold that makes me flinch every time I hear it. It's kind of like right at the infant crying meter.

what is wrong with you

John Harker

well a lot of the times he is barking at hidden items. and there's places he can dig on occasion that he barks on but wont dig unless you command him too. he kind of acts like a 'this way is a secret' finder sometimes.

also, pet him more! he's scared.

I legit cry every time I watch the trailer. I can only imagine how much tears will be playing through the game.

I'm kinda waiting for it to drop in price or become a GwG freebie, like Guacamelee. But I'm looking forward to playing it someday soon.

Fantastic game and I wish more games would focus on WWI, its such an overlooked recent event in our history. I also liked the interesting history facts they would throw in every level. Hopefully Valiant Hearts does good in sales because I would love to experience more games like this.

doraemoe

How is this game play on iPad? I'm seriously considering getting this game on iPad, but not sure if the gameplay is suit for touch screen.

Zach

This is on my to-buy list. I'm hoping to get it on the cheap soonish (PS4) and hopeful that it blindsides me a la Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Top Bottom