• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve is banning games that use AI for art (trained on copyrighted material)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ai generator are not just the pictures, you can for example paint a map and Ai fills it with environment of you choosing, so UE 5.2 project will be banned as well or something?
they said AI art. Generators don't count, they're fine

Fuz

Banned
Surprisingly, his argument isn't that all A.I. art is bad. It's the theft that he takes issue with. As do I.
And the Supreme Court already set a precedent. If it wasn't made by a human, it can't receive copyright proteccion.
Yeah, as I said I have aquaitances deep into it, and I imagined that point was part of the discourse. And I'm not sure where to draw the line.
Art is recursive. Is inspiration theft? Because I know someone who built an extremely successful career on inspiration.

Deerock71

high quality GIF

Can't stop progress.
This was going to be my take:
Artificial Intelligence News GIF by PEEKASSO

vkbest

Pro A.I. = Anti Humanity..??

What seems like science fiction today could be future dependant tomorrow.

A.I. needs limits. Strong limits. That don't/can't deter or infringe on humanities necessities.

Nah, this is the same crap, protecting the same groups, music, illustrators/art, and cine.

At the same time, Google save a ton of money in Youtube using AI boots to check accounts or videos, your city is using AI for a ton of things like controlling semaphores. I bet Steam is using some kind of AI for his search system. Games are using AI for procedural generation.

Current AI is not intelligent, they are a ton of GB models trained like with PB of data to perform certain tasks.

Fuz

Banned
Current AI is not intelligent, they are a ton of GB models trained like with PB of data to perform certain tasks.
If you worry only on what's now, you'll have no way of worrying in the future.*

Consciences are complex trained data models. Right now AI is, let's say, insect level.

* This is valid for anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fake

In particular, [Game Name Here] contains art assets generated by artificial intelligence that appears to be relying on copyrighted material owned by third parties.

Don’t blame Valve one bit.

Some folks here don't know that AI use a lot of stuff from internet, so was a good call from Valve.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

brian0057

Banned
Yeah, as I said I have aquaitances deep into it, and I imagined that point was part of the discourse. And I'm not sure where to draw the line.
Art is recursive. Is inspiration theft? Because I know someone who built an extremely successful career on inspiration.
It's not.
The video I posted discusses that and the "A.I. is just doing what humanity has been doing for eons" argument at 49:20.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bad for small indie devs if true.
They can still use AI to speed up development.

The way I use it in my game side project:
- To create python scripts in blender so I automate stuff. I've learned to code on it a little I'm starting to create or to modify scripts myself though, but as must stuff are basic they're quicker done in Bing chat

- To create documentation of my existing enormous codebase interfaces. My game grew quite a lot and as this started last year, I cannot remember what each thing does sometimes, so I started making documentation on Bing chat for part of the code

- AI animation is a thing. I don't use it myself but there are 3D animation softwares that help you rig a model and once you animate base movements, it accommodates the bones physics and it's way too fast to have great characters posing. Those tools will probably be used on AA or AAA soon

- AI rigging. I started using a tool for that but I ditched it because main character required better rigged that only a human could know how to do. I'll probably keep using it for enemies and less important characters with more basic animations

- Real time API documentation pal

- Real time consultor for stuff

I mean, generative AI is just one way to boost production, if devs wanted to count on it beyond idea board, they better limit their scope or gtfo.

Hell, I'm a programmer but I have extensive design and art experience too, so I understand that even if I could generate proper "art" for my game with AI, I'd rather do it myself or pay someone else because I want "soul" to be felt on my game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom