• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vantec Tornado Question (heatsink FAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
im using this
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1169

(its the 92mm version on the left)

on a SLK 900A thermalright heatsink

and I keep hearing a very faint "rattle" over the blast furnace noise that is now my pc

I got paranoid I installed something wrong so I stripped the rig down to the case itself reinstalled EVERYTHING (even reseat the heatsink etc) and I still hear the rattle then I read on this website here

It's accepted that ball bearings produce more noise then sleeve bearings - 1 to 3 dBA according to some sources - but the differences are rarely noticeable during their typical roles in cooling fans. Noise generated by the fan blades tends to overcome the sound of the bearings.

and

Here

Ball bearing, Sleeve bearing, or "Hydro-wave" bearing?

Most fans have either a ball bearing or a sleeve bearing. Ball bearing fans are more reliable due to reduced friction. Sleeve bearings have a shorter life, but they are slightly more quiet than ball bearing fans. This is because ball bearings produce a slight rattle. "Hydro-wave" bearings are unique to Panaflo fans. Hydro-wave bearings are similar to sleeve bearings except they ride on a cushion of lubricant to reduce friction. This design is as quiet as a sleeve bearing fan and as reliable as a ball bearing fan.

Anyone one else run into this? My old HSF was a volcano 12 and was dual bearing but to be fair this new fan it one of the loudest fans you can have and "can levitate playing cards 6 inches above it" not to mention you can fell the air bouncing off the mobo if you put your hand anywhere in the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom