• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Apple exploring original programming; made bid for ex-Top Gear stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/apple-eyes-move-into-original-programming-exclusive-1201582020/ said:
The moment the media and technology industries have been expecting for years may finally be arriving: Apple is exploring getting into the original programming business.

Sources indicate the Cupertino, Calif. colossus has held preliminary conversations in recent weeks with executives in Hollywood to suss out their interest in spearheading efforts to produce entertainment content. The unit putting out the feelers reports into Eddy Cue, who is Apple’s point man on all content-related matters, from its negotiations with programmers for Apple TV to its recent faceoff with Taylor Swift.

An Apple spokesperson declined comment.

The scale of Apple’s ambitions vary depending on whom is asked, but one high-level executive who talked with the company said the goal is to create development and production divisions that would churn out long-form content to stream in a bid to compete with Netflix. Apple is hoping to put a headhunting firm on those hires in the coming months, according to source, with the goal of being in operation next year. Unknown is whether the focus is on TV series, movies–or both.

The prospect of Apple going Hollywood has been bandied about for at least as long as the decade that has passed since Steve Jobs joined hands with the studios to make TV shows and movies available on iTunes. Given the often fractious relationship between the media and technology sectors, there’s often been curiousity as to why Apple doesn’t just build its own content capabilities, if not acquire a studio outright.

Such a move would have huge implications in the content world, potentially setting up a showdown with other streaming juggernauts including Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Apple’s entry would sharpen a double-edged sword those companies are already swinging at Hollywood: A powerful new competitor that could steer eyeballs away from the traditional pay-TV world but also possibly a new buyer for content from existing studios.

For Apple itself, getting into original programming would be significant but not necessarily earth-shattering. While financing its own exclusive content would be an interesting strategic shift that could better arm Apple in its global war against other tech giants like Amazon, Google and Facebook to be the ecosystem where users spend the most time, the hundreds of millions–perhaps billions–of dollars necessary to get into TV and movies is chump change to CEO Tim Cook, who has over $200 billion in cash on the corporation’s balance sheet at his disposal.

Given how early Apple is in the process, details are sketchy at this point. It is unclear, for instance, if the company intends to structure itself like Netflix and work with outside production entities or attempt Microsoft’s ill-fated Xbox model, which entailed setting up an internal studio.

Another area where Apple can organically grow its content efforts is in independent film, where the company has quietly been snapping up content on the festival circuit for distribution on iTunes for years. One source familiar with Apple’s efforts in that business says expanding into original content has been mentioned by Apple reps as a possibility.

Another big question mark is what shape Apple’s content play would take; the company has been criticized for leaving the door open for Netflix’s a la carte model to flourish by opting for a transactional business instead of the subscription VOD route that has proven to get more traction with consumers.
Monthly price–if that’s even the model Apple chooses–would be key given the competitive marketplace, though it’s conceivable there wouldn’t necessarily be a price if Apple chose to go the ad-supported route, a path it has contemplated in various iterations of its Apple TV strategy.

That device, which is expected after years of languishing to get a significant upgrade at a press event Apple is hosting next week, could be central to the company’s content plans. With long-developing plans for Apple to employ a virtual-MSO strategy akin to Sling TV or Sony Playstation Vue still in limbo as content owners drive a hard bargain, it’s possible the company is willing to take on filling the content pipeline itself to at least supplement the service. But it’s highly doubtful the programming piece would be in place by next week, let alone any time this year.

Apple has also shown it’s not averse to pivoting content strategy in the streaming music business, where the recent launch of Apple Music was clearly a response to the success subscriptions have achieved with rivals like Spotify.

Apple Music is also where the company has dipped a toe into original content production for both audio, the format of its celebrity-studded Beats 1 radio program, and video, where some chart-toppers have created music videos with Apple’s backing. Some sources say that the original content efforts could end up being an extension of that strategy.

Episodic video content would be a significantly bigger outlay, though how big will be determined by whether Apple puts an emphasis on long-form scripted fare or hedges its bet with more unscripted content, where YouTube in particular has made a more modest investment betting on digital-native talent.

YouTube recently raised eyebrows by luring MTV programming chief Susanne Daniels to head its original content efforts. Regardless of what strategic direction Apple goes in on the same front, it’s a sure thing that a company as well capitalized and impeccably branded as Apple is it will attract top-shelf executive talent.

The article also drops this bombshell:

Other sources described the company’s exploration as more of a flirtation, though pointed to one recent sign that an escalation of interest is clear: Apple is said to have made an unprecedented bid to secure the stars of “Top Gear” when they exited their BBC series earlier this year. But Amazon ended up winning the bidding war for Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond in July.

I kinda expected this to happen eventually. But the bid for Clarkson, Hammond, and May makes it clear (if true) that they're damn serious about this.

SimleuqiR

Don't support this move if it means content is only available through their hardware.

But Apple Music on Android gives me hope they are at least open to the idea of supporting other platforms.

Don't particularly love the idea. Rather see them bidding on rights like live sports. There was a rumor about them bidding on Premier League rights in the US a couple years ago.

Mindwipe

Given I know at least two other offers from other companies were pretty close to Amazon, they must have really low balled any Top Gear offer.

how does apple lose any bidding wars? kinda sad actually.

Depends how serious they actually are about original content.

Making stuff to just sell on iTunes seems like a losing proposition - it'd have a high barrier of entry, and lack the affordability of other online partners. Six years ago, maybe it would've had an audience. But now? I doubt it. People are too used to the subscription model.

So perhaps Apple's next step is an Apple Radio-style reinvention of their TV & Movies section. Flat monthly fee for all the content you can binge. Which would be a taller order, require a longer development period, and thus make them more hesitant about bidding on content when the service isn't ready yet.

Just some speculation.

Phew, dodged a bullet with the Top Gear guys.

More like dodging a punch, I'd say.

Somnid

They're learning late what everyone in the stream business already knows, content is king and existing studios are some of the most money grubbing people this side of mobile carriers. You'll go bankrupt making deals for newer content so it makes more sense to go your own and then you have an exclusive product to boot.

They're learning late what everyone in the stream business already knows, content is king and existing studios are some of the most money grubbing people this side of mobile carriers. You'll go bankrupt making deals for newer content so it makes more sense to go your own and then you have an exclusive product to boot.

Yup. Apple's way more brand-conscious than Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. It'll be interesting to see if they're willing to put their names on, for example, a show with sexual content.

HariKari

Well, considering how much cash they are sitting on, they really didn't put that much effort into signing the Top Gear gang.

At one point, Jeremy was practically an iphone endorser, lol. I wouldn't have minded watching some bits about 'iphone integration' in new cars. Damn stingy Apple and their billions, you couldn't outbid Amazon??

The Beard

Thank god they didn't get it. Apple would've charged $12.99 per episode, and every episode would feature the same cars but with slightly different options.

I wonder if this could bring about hardware-exclusive shows and movies a la what we have in the video game console world.

I'm guessing whatever Apple makes will also be on iTunes, though.

Busty

Banned
Eh. This is something that's been going on for a while but only now is Variety actually reporting it. Apple and Comcast have both been talking to the studios for the last couple of years about potentially producing original content for their future 'Netflix killers'.

Apparently Comcast were all set to jump into the Netflix, Amazon and Hulu market with both feet with their own SVOD service but after their Time Warner Cable merger went south I don't know how they feel about it now.

I think that we're looking at a future where Apple could offer a combined service that includes TV, film and music (including their radio shebang) for one price that would compliment the likes of HBO Now etc that would also be available through Apple platform.

I wonder if this could bring about hardware-exclusive shows and movies a la what we have in the video game console world.

I'm guessing whatever Apple makes will also be on iTunes, though.

I think that Apple will open up this future service of theirs to include a whole manner of devices. They will want that 'halo effect' (the service bringing none Apple customers closer to buying Apple hardware through the 'experience') to be in full effect for those 'slumming' it on Rokus and Chromecasts etc.

Looking forward to the eventual Apple-Disney v. Google-Warner wars.

Yup. Two titans going to battle on the still jittering corpses of Viacom and Sony Pictures.

People have been talking about mass media M&A/consolidation for so long that it's lost all meaning but it is coming people.

Slavik81

It's not limited to a particular device, no. Amazon want to sell Prime Memberships.
What's this about Top Gear only being on Amazon? I thought they signed with Netflix. I guess the news I remember must have been about how Netflix didn't get it.

That's rather unfortunate. Amazon hasn't brought Amazon Instant to Canada. EDIT: I guess it's going to be on Shomi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom