• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican to fight Satanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7043360

Read the article, but check out the last paragraph:

In 1999, the Vatican issued its first updated ritual for exorcism since 1614 and warned that the devil is still at work.

The official Roman Catholic exorcism starts with prayers, a blessing and sprinkling of holy water, the laying on of hands on the possessed, and the making of the sign of the cross.

It ends with an "imperative formula" in which the devil is ordered to leave the possessed.

The formula begins: "I order you, Satan..." It goes on to denounce Satan as "prince of the world" and "enemy of human salvation." It ends: "Go back, Satan." although he has kept a low

Uhh.... low....? :lol

Sounds like Satan got to the author.

The formula begins: "I order you, Satan..." It goes on to denounce Satan as "prince of the world" and "enemy of human salvation." It ends: "Go back, Satan." although he has kept a low

I know I'd be pissed off if someone called me the "prince of the world." I'm royalty!? YOU BASTARD! :lol

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
The "Devil"? I mean, honestly, do people really believe in a malicious guy living underneath the earth in a fiery place called "Hell" who is responsible for all the evil in the world? My mom is Catholic and she doesn't believe in such a creature (why she's a Catholic then is a whole other discussion). Please, people, grow up.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Minotauro said:
The "Devil"? I mean, honestly, do people really believe in a malicious guy living underneath the earth in a fiery place called "Hell" who is responsible for all the evil in the world? My mom is Catholic and she doesn't believe in such a creature (why she's a Catholic then is a whole other discussion). Please, people, grow up.

True,currently he lives in a cave somewhere around Tora Bora.

Manics

Banned
Minotauro said:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Manics said:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist.
But I could just as easily say that the greatest trick Ropingo ever pulled was convincing the world to place the blame on Satan.

Zaptruder

Banned
Just to be pedantic...

satanism is actually a philosophy of living that in simple terms involves living life to its fullest, regardless of ones selfishness. i.e. it doesn't promote abstinence from stuff and it doesn't promote self control...

In that sense, satanism is much more rife around the world as it is, especially in terms of the ultra-consumerist society we've built... and to actually fight it would be perhaps an admirable goal, and probably more difficult then any actual fight against satan.

The pope battles evil in any form it may come in
main_popebreakdance,0.jpg

Somebody had to post it.

NLB2

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Just to be pedantic...

satanism is actually a philosophy of living that in simple terms involves living life to its fullest, regardless of ones selfishness. i.e. it doesn't promote abstinence from stuff and it doesn't promote self control...

In that sense, satanism is much more rife around the world as it is, especially in terms of the ultra-consumerist society we've built... and to actually fight it would be perhaps an admirable goal, and probably more difficult then any actual fight against satan.
That sounds like hedonism...

karasu

Minotauro said:

Too many movies.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Minotauro said:
As opposed to a man in the sky? If you are going to believe in one mythical being, at least acknowledge an equal and opposite counter force.
I am not saying I believe in Satan, I am merely stating the balance needed for either of these to exist.

Zaptruder

Banned
Loki said:
You are a wise man, NLB2. ;) :p

Though I didn't really get the part about "regardless of one's selfishness"...

www.wordiq.com said:
LaVeyan Satanism is a religion based upon the philosophy of Anton LaVey as outlined in The Satanic Bible and other works. It has an extremely egoistic bent, viewing the self as the most important entity in the universe; this stance of positively-viewed selfishness stands in contrast to the doctrines of most other religions.

That said, there are groups worshipping satan and groups that explicitly practice satanism laveyan or not...

Loki

Count of Concision
Zaptruder said:
That said, there are groups worshipping satan and groups that explicitly practice satanism laveyan or not...

Yeah, I should've realized that was what it meant; the context was a bit ambiguous is all. Still, I'm stoopid. :D

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Society said:
As opposed to a man in the sky? If you are going to believe in one mythical being, at least acknowledge an equal and opposite counter force.
I am not saying I believe in Satan, I am merely stating the balance needed for either of these to exist.

Baby steps, man, baby steps...

NLB2

Banned
Society said:
HOLY SHIT! WHO DO YOU LIKE MORE AHURA MAZDA OR ANGRA MAINYU? I LIKE AHURA MAZDA MORE 'CAUSE HE'S THE MAN! ZARATHUSTRA = TEH ROCK! AM I RITE?

Seriously though if you define god as either the greatest possible being or the uncaused cause that created the universe or even as that from which all good comes, why the hell do you need a second deity to balance against god?

MaddenNFL64

Without Satan, and hell, Christianity would have died long ago. Fear of going to that lake of fire place where Hitler hangs out sure gets people to covert pretty quick.

If the church could only offer heaven, or your soul walking the earth, I think people would be much more apathetic then they already may be.

Syckx

MaddenNFL64 said:
Without Satan, and hell, Christianity would have died long ago. Fear of going to that lake of fire place where Hitler hangs out sure gets people to covert pretty quick.

If the church could only offer heaven, or your soul walking the earth, I think people would be much more apathetic then they already may be.

How would you explain Judaism which doesn't really have a conventional "hell." Nevermind, us Jews are pretty apathetic. I may be wrong but I have never heard of a "hell" while being exposed to my family's religion, and I went to a Jewish private school with a required temple gethering every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom