• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Shows China Pollution Decreasing During Coronavirus Lockdown - Then Returning

Airbus Jr

Banned

images

The European Space Agency has released a video showing the decrease of air pollution over China as the country went into lockdown - then its returns as the quarantine measures start to ease:

The animation, based on data from the Copernicus Sentinel-5P satellite, shows nitrogen dioxide emissions, which are produced by the burning of fossil fuels over China, between 20 December and 16 March.

The European Space Agency reported: "The drop in concentrations in late January is visible, coinciding with the nationwide quarantine and from the beginning of March, the nitrogen dioxide levels have begun to increase."
Claus Zehner, the ESA mission manager, said nitrogen dioxide dropped by around 40 percent during the lockdown.

The agency continued: "By combining satellite observations with detailed computer models of the atmosphere, their studies indicated a reduction of around 20-30 percent in surface particulate matter over large parts of China."
When pollution dramatically improved.

This shows the pollution after the lockdown began to ease. Credit: ESA

Earlier this week, imagery which was also provided from the Copernicus Sentinel-5P satellite showed the decline in air pollution over Italy between 1 January and 11 March 2020.
Once again, Claus Zehner was the man of the moment. He said: "The decline in nitrogen dioxide emissions over the Po Valley in northern Italy is particularly evident.

"Although there could be slight variations in the data due to cloud cover and changing weather, we are very confident that the reduction in emissions that we can see coincides with the lockdown in Italy, causing less traffic and industrial activities."

Josef Aschbacher, ESA's Director of Earth Observation, added: "Copernicus Sentinel-5P Tropomi is the most accurate instrument today that measures air pollution from space.
The government have told 1.5 million high-risk people to stay at home. Credit: PA
Although the UK hasn't been put on lockdown at the moment, the Government told 1.5 million high-risk people to stay at home for at least 12 weeks, earlier today (22 March).

People who can't get out to get food and other essential supplies will have parcels delivered to their doorsteps, as the Government works with the military on a regional distribution network that will take over pubs and other community hubs.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So what’s the moral of the story? A worldwide pandemic is good because it decreases pollution for a very short amount of time?

I honestly don’t get why people try to draw attention to shit like this.

nush

So what’s the moral of the story? A worldwide pandemic is good because it decreases pollution for a very short amount of time?

No it's "Proof" that China is the worlds biggest polluter, ignoring the fact that the world shipped most of it's manufacturing to China because it was cheaper and regulations were more relaxed.

This is one of the reasons I stopped caring about climate change. All the other countries could make significant progress in reducing their footprint, it won't mean a dam thing unless China and India do something and good luck with that.

Blade2.0

What if one week, half of population stay home and do nothing or wfh. One week the other does nothing or works from home. Cut them emissions in half

womfalcs3

Banned
We want to achieve environmental and climate improvement without simultaneous human sacrifice and economic destruction.

The Thanos policy is not on the table.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I stopped caring about climate change. All the other countries could make significant progress in reducing their footprint, it won't mean a dam thing unless China and India do something and good luck with that.
this is also why I don't vote.

if everyone doesn't think like me what's the point of doing anything in the first place?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Have You seen how much greenery is in the I am Legend ?!

Rat Rage

Just wait til the big brain climate radicals like Rat Rage Rat Rage and R RealGassy start advocating for eliminating humans

Stop talking bullshit. In a previous comment I've just tried to make people think more about the environment by saying that it's kind of ironic that humans are threatend by a massive virus outbreak, yet as a species behave like a virus themselves to nature by not living in harmony and balance with their surroundings.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

You forgot the US, which is one of the biggest polluters worldwide as well.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Stop buying shit from 99% of all companies that caused this virus to happen in the first place indirectly by relying so much on China.
Stop talking bullshit. In a previous comment I've just tried to make people think more about the environment by saying that it's kind of ironic that humans are threatend by a massive virus outbreak, yet as a species behave like a virus themselves to nature by not living in harmony and balance with their surroundings.
Stop using the internet right fucking now if you believe in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa

Banned

“The coronavirus is not the enemy. Humans are the true virus.”

“Humans are the cancer and nature is fighting it. We all get what we deserve in the end.”

That’s some nice honesty you’ve got there, comrade. Very fitting for a CCP-controlled future.

The coronavirus is not the enemy. Humans are the true virus. The earth/nature is just fighting this disease (us humans) with its own ways, which is the corona virus. AIDS in modern times and the plague in the middle ages are another examples of that.

Neverending consumption and reckless capitalism/greed for more is destroying the earth. Viruses are a way of the earth to restore balance in nature.

Humans are the cancer and nature is fighting it. We all get what we deserve in the end.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Do you believe humans live in a balance with their surroundings (nature?)
This is about you being in "balance" with your surroundings. The fact that you are using the internet and technology/modern comforts means you aren't. Yet you call other people (you) a virus?

John Day

To everyone that feels we humans are the scourge and enemy of Gaia, i offer my seat in the sacrificial chamber.

Anyone? Noone? Ok.

Rat Rage

This is about you being in "balance" with your surroundings. The fact that you are using the internet and technology/modern comforts means you aren't. Yet you call other people (you) a virus?

Yes, so what? I could be a prision inmate and theorize about prisions, or would that not be allowed.? There could be a future where humans use technology and live with nature in balance at the same time.

Rat Rage

Yes, absolutely. We are the pinnacle of Earth's biome, and the only hope it has of propagating beyond Earth.

Great pinnacle. Dinosaurs lived in peace with the earth for about 250.000.000 years. Humans have managed to cause serious harm (almost irreversible) to nature in less than 200 years.
If Dinausaurs didn't go extinct by some huge, very uncommon event, humans would have probably never evolved. If anything, the way humans behaved in the last 200 years is disgrace to Earth's biome.

Great pinnacle. Dinosaurs lived in peace with the earth for about 250.000.000 years. Humans have managed to cause serious harm (almost irreversible) to nature in less than 200 years.
If Dinausaurs didn't go extinct by some huge, very uncommon event, humans would have probably never evolved. If anything, the way humans behaved in the last 200 years is disgrace to Earth's biome.

A lot of good that 250,000,000 years did for dinosaurs - they are all dead, any protocultural that troodons or social species had is gone forever, and none of it is recoverable. All they are is bones.

On the other hand, humans have advanced in a fraction of the time to where we can preserve ourselves. Another couple centuries and we will start leaving behind frail biology for technology.

What good will Earth have been if it is just forgotten?

cryptoadam

Banned
Sure they will love this, until you tell them to clean up the earth you need to be locked at home and fist fight for toilet paper.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
No it's "Proof" that China is the worlds biggest polluter, ignoring the fact that the world shipped most of it's manufacturing to China because it was cheaper and regulations were more relaxed.
It is a game of supply and demand, and China originally couldn't compete, so they bent the rules, axed human rights and sanitary regulations. So yes, it is "proof" that their capitalist practices are fucking the planet we all share.

Is it not their fault?

nush

It is a game of supply and demand, and China originally couldn't compete, so they bent the rules, axed human rights and sanitary regulations. So yes, it is "proof" that their capitalist practices are fucking the planet we all share.

Is it not their fault?

wasn't replying to you but is you think "so they bent the rules, axed human rights and sanitary regulations" when talking about Chinas manufacture is in any way true I've got some news. They never had those things to begin with!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
wasn't replying to you but is you think "so they bent the rules, axed human rights and sanitary regulations" when talking about Chinas manufacture is in any way true I've got some news. They never had those things to begin with!

There is no reason to "ignore the fact that half the world shipped their manufacturing there". China is not excused for that since they created the situation. It would be better if that situation didn't exist.

The perfect ego stroking of the consumers of developed Western nations is critiquing "human rights" against China and capitalism.
It is the American corporations that chose China because of its cheap labour in the first place. The people in China were poor AF and had to make a living. You are only hearing about the "human rights" argument more and more now in mainstream media because globalization is in transition and China / America are becoming rivals. Some manufacturing jobs will return to America and go to other countries because labour costs in China has gone up. Now America and China are competing for the next level of high tech products, and the social conditioning of the global consumers is also transitioning in order to keep the sheep away from Chinese products.

China is also trying to increase a sense of patriotism and national identity, so it's all good unless World War 3 starts. lol

Rat Rage

That makes you a hypocrite.

No, it doesn't. Stop throwing words around you don't understand. I never said "yo, guys, stop drinking beer (and then drink beer myself)" - that would be hypocrite. All I said is that modern humans behave like a virus to nature. It's an observatory claim (and of course involves everyone, including me)

Oh yeah, and I'm using a PC and the internet, that is something I'm aware of, and I also use many other modern things. But did I ever say "hey guys, stop using the internet?". No.

By the way, the energy I'm using comes from 100% renewable sources (I pay a bit more for that).

Last edited:
Top Bottom