• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virgin Galactic Spaceship has Crashed. AP: one pilot killed, one seriously injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application. If there were cities in Europa or something, sure, you'd need to use a spaceship to get there, but there isn't.

The whole 'pushing the boundaries' thing only applies when there is a tangible result. Establishing the US is a meaningful, impactful goal, so lives lost towards that goal have a sacrificial value. Leaving the atmosphere for the sake of doing it isn't worth even a single life, let alone how many it's taken, and will continue to.

And yes, everyone will have their own value of human life. Some people would choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike too, but if it was my decision, manned space travel would be over, long over actually.
You realize that the space race helped push forward a lot of science and technology research which had myriad uses beyond putting people in space right? Or that the technology used in this type of commercial space travel could enable low earth orbit travel making trans-continental travel much quicker.

Is that Spongebob person having an existential crisis or something? What a highly unrelated thread to spit out conspiracy theories and religion nonsense.

KuGsj.gif

I don't know what they mean either. But if he's gonna bring the jargon, I wish he'd share the definitions with everyone.

Obviously he's quoting Harry Potter spells. Muggles shouldn't mess around with space travel, leave it to wizards and witches.

Topic: I highly respect people who risk their lives pushing the limits of human exploration/travel. It's a tragedy that will hopefully yield more safety in future endeavors.

Damn, this is terrible. I hope the other pilot recovers and their program continues.

The other day I was turned down for a job at the place that makes the SStwo. If I knew this thing was flying today I would've watched, I could've probably seen it from my front yard with some binoculars.

spwolf

You realize that the space race helped push forward a lot of science and technology research which had myriad uses beyond putting people in space right? Or that the technology used in this type of commercial space travel could enable low earth orbit travel making trans-continental travel much quicker.

while you are correct, more effective use of that money would be specific research into those other technologies.

in any case, it is private venture so they can do whatever they want.

Hoping for the best for the surviving pilot. According to my friend who used to work out in that area, they got to him and then to the hospital fairly quickly because it was in an "auto-launch area" for Kern County.

Sad to see people die even with today´s technology.

Space exploration seems so far away now, and these 2 accidents will cause a backlash and halt space programs even further most probably.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, this is a shock given the failed launch earlier in the week. It feels like private space travel is going to take a major hit, but I hope this doesn't cause a major set back.

cajunator

Banned
If casualties stopped exploration and technological advancement in the past, we wouldnt be where we are now. Lots of things wouldnt have been invented if not for space travel applications and experimentation. As tragic as these things are, people learn from it and it will only make things safer going forward.

Despera

Banned
If casualties stopped exploration and technological advancement in the past, we wouldnt be where we are now. Lots of things wouldnt have been invented if not for space travel applications and experimentation. As tragic as these things are, people learn from it and it will only make things safer going forward.
Exactly.

May the pilot rest in peace and here's hoping their colleague makes a full recovery. Their sacrifice should be appreciated by all the human race.

And I see that Spongebob is at it again. Dude, give it a rest no one gives a shit about your petty ideologies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
while you are correct, more effective use of that money would be specific research into those other technologies.

in any case, it is private venture so they can do whatever they want.
But often there is no impetus to research those technologies, especially not with a blank check, because the benefits aren't apparent at the time.

noah111

Still Alive
Stupidly depressing posts in this thread.

1 person dies = Space is a waste of time, stop making space ships

100000 people die = Driving is a waste of time, stop making cars

Right?

ChrisRT

"Ye olde"

Well done.

iblcuKqu1C6nCz.gif
It will go on. I think anyone saying or hoping otherwise are insane. Those pilots are tuely brave and are pioneer. I hope all involved, all before them will be remembered and given their due credit for arguably what is necessary to ensure the survival of our species and possibly that of other species on Earth.

Now whom is that woman in the gif or what video is that from?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Some journalist who covered Virgin Galactic on cnn just said that this was VG's only spaceplane, and that they have another one that is about 20% ready or less.

Basically, this really is the end for Virgin Galactic.
In a pdf on their main page, VG claim TSC (The Spaceship Company - a VG's subsidiary) have the SS2-02 done at 60%.

Innovation in the private sector arises from competition, but innovation doesn't require the private sector. There is no need to wait for the private sector to drive innovation, only an objective and government funding. Which is exactly why lack of funding by governments has led space exploration to be so far behind from where it should be, and why as a result of that the private sector is not yet in a position to involve itself in this field without excessive risk.
This is an interesting position. Are you suggesting the entire US space programme was not carried out by the private sector on NASA's commission?

Re the video that was brought up earlier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOD5s0MT3E), it does sort of go in line with my own findings of the line of events so far, which are:

It appears VG/SC pulled a last-minute 'salvage what we've got and go for plan B' with SNC (Sierra Nevada Corp), who were the engine's supplier, but were dropped as such earlier this year. Some accounts say SNC's original RocketMotorTwo formula which used HTPB as the liquid component was unreliable, not being able to produce much more than 20 seconds of sustained thrust. On top of that comes SNC's dropping out of NASA's CCtCap last month due to 'insufficient level of maturity' of the development. So leads so far point to serious issues with the engine supplier, followed by a hasty backup plan.

Right?

You know, you are actually correct. If the world ran completely on public transportation or Google's self driving cars, the world would be a safer and less polluted.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application. If there were cities in Europa or something, sure, you'd need to use a spaceship to get there, but there isn't.

The whole 'pushing the boundaries' thing only applies when there is a tangible result. Establishing the US is a meaningful, impactful goal, so lives lost towards that goal have a sacrificial value. Leaving the atmosphere for the sake of doing it isn't worth even a single life, let alone how many it's taken, and will continue to.

And yes, everyone will have their own value of human life. Some people would choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike too, but if it was my decision, manned space travel would be over, long over actually.

just talking loud
and saying nothing

A very well deserved tag.

cameron

Descent system deployed early according to initial investigation.

LOS ANGELES -- Federal investigators say they have determined that a space tourism rocket broke apart in flight over California's Mojave Desert after a device to slow the experimental spaceship's descent deployed too soon.

National Transportation Safety Board Acting Chairman Christopher Hart said that while no cause for Friday's crash of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo has been determined, investigators found the "feathering" system -- which rotates the tail to create drag -- was activated before the craft reached the appropriate speed.

The system requires a two-step process to deploy. The co-pilot unlocked the system but Hart said the second step occurred "without being commanded."

"What we know is that after it was unlocked, the feathers moved into the deploy position and two seconds later we saw disintegration," Hart said.

Read more at:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/virgin-spaceship-s-descent-system-deployed-early-1.2083872

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Some people would choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike too, but if it was my decision, manned space travel would be over, long over actually.

I'm sorry, but it should never be over. It's under funded, actually. But don't let me tell you that so instead I will just leave this here:

It's easy to imagine skeins of historical causality. There were many possible historical paths. Our ancestors walked from East Africa to Novaya Zemlya and Ayer's Rock and Patagonia, they hunted elephants with stone spearpoints, they walked the Moon a decade after entering space. It is beyond our powers to predict the future. Catastrophic events have a way of sneaking up on us, of catching us unaware. Your own life, or your band's, or even your species' might be owed to a restless few, drawn by a craving they can hardly articulate or understand, to undiscovered lands and new worlds. Each victory is only a prelude to another, and no boundaries can be set to rational hope. Our particular causality skein, has brought us to a modest and rudimentary, although in many respects heroic, series of explorations.

But it is far inferior to what might have been, and what one day may be.

That was Carl Sagan. So no, we should not stop. I'm sorry if you don't feel attracted by curiosity to the rest of the universe, but these kind of projects and programs do help humanity at large, not only by inspiring new generations or showing how little we are in the cosmos, but also with practical technologies that one poster showed us with a link. To suggest otherwise, to say we're in a good place and should stay in it, in whatever aspect you might think is frankly offensive to those who have devoted their lifes, and in this case sacrificed it in the name of exploration and science. I can only hope that the people who are in charge of giving money to those who are actually curious do not share your view of the world.

ezrarh

Right?

Wouldn't mind if we moved away from requiring cars for day to day functions. We shouldn't stop making space ships though.

It's unfortunate what happened but there's no way we should stop pursuing this. I feel like it would be a dishonor to the pilot if this did put a halt to the plans. Our society didn't become what it is now by giving up after one death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom