• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuix reveals 2023 launch for: OMNI ONE multi-directional VR Treadmill, for introductory price of $2,595 or $65/month. Targeting 30 launch games.

https://mixed-news.com/en/virtuix-omni-one-consumer-launch/
Omni One was expected to be available to consumers in 2021. Due to the pandemic, the launch has been delayed by two years.

Now Virtuix has announced that it started shipping Omni One units to early investors as a “prelude to a planned consumer launch later this year”.

Here’s how the VR treadmill works​

Omni One consists of a circular platform over which VR players glide in special shoes. The movement of the feet is tracked by sensors and transferred to virtual reality. This creates the illusion of physical movement through virtual worlds. Several straps attached to a movable arm provide the necessary safety.

The Omni One is an evolution of the Omni Pro home arcade treadmill, but is lighter and more compact, and can be folded and stored when not in use. It also offers greater freedom of movement: Player can crouch, kneel, walk backwards and jump, as seen in the video.
Here is the recent video references, that shows off what the Omni One can do,

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...tep-into-vr-without-boundaries-301776706.html
Omni One is a complete entertainment system that currently ships with a Pico Neo 3 Pro headset and works straight out of the box without needing a PC or other peripherals, providing a seamless user experience. The Neo 3 Pro headset, which has the same processor and resolution as Meta's popular Quest 2 but offers a wider field of view, comes with Omni One's operating software, including social features and a proprietary game store targeting 30 titles at launch.

Inspired by the popular Omni Pro, a commercial version of the Omni available at more than 500 entertainment venues in 45 countries, Omni One is designed to fit tastefully inside a living room or other place in your home. Compared to Omni Pro, Omni One is lighter, more compact (4-foot diameter), easy to fold up or move around, and allows players unmatched freedom of movement, including crouching, kneeling, and jumping.
Omni One's introductory price is $2,595 plus shipping, or as low as $65/month on a payment plan. Omni One's pricing includes both the treadmill and the high-end Pico headset (market value $699).
Omni One's top benefits include:
  • It lets you walk or run in video games or other virtual worlds, in any direction and at any speed, while occupying only a small amount of floor space.
  • Safety features keep you from falling or hitting walls or other people.
  • It keeps you in shape by burning calories while gaming.
Virtuix is expanding awareness of Omni One among consumers, gamers, and the investment community by running a Reg CF campaign as part of its Series B funding round (https://invest.virtuix.com). Investors get to skip the line to order Omni One ahead of the general public, and they can qualify for investor discounts on Omni One of 30% (worth $780) or more.

Now to be fair, when you look at the video, and other stuff on their channel, this is clearly arcade quality for the home and would dial up the immersion by 10x just standing or sitting on a couch. It also seems to be having dev support targeting 30 launch games, and comes with a better headset than the Quest 2 with a wider FOV.

On paper this may seem to many people to be worth the over $2000 in price for the fact that you will almost actually be in the game world as yourself moving your arms and walking around, or running and dodging shooting zombies or aliens. It's the expensive arcade VR amusement park experience for at a consumer budget, and shrunk down for the home.

Based on the video, it almost seems to good to be true. Which is why I would recommend waiting for impressions first to early adopters who receive it first. It seems they are committed to this in the long run and will try to get more compatibility with headsets, so if impressions are good, this may be the best way to play VR games bar none, unless you're not in the physical shape to walk or run away while shooting zombies.

You can walk, run, spin, jump, and the set-up of the machine prevents any incidents from happening. Imagine running around waiving a sword against an army in a VR experience, and then you had to run back to the fortress before reinforcements arrived as flaming arrows are falling from above and you have to dodge as you return. I mean the possibilities with this machine are endless.

If the machine is good and is as well executed as shown.

Granted, you are still asking for a big price, but if this thing ends up having people singing it's praises, this would be a better deal with Pico or HTC on your head, than a $3000 Apple. In fact, this would be a hell of a deal in comparison, if this machine is as well executed as shown.

However, I am a biittttttt skeptical if this machine is as good as in the video. I'm waiting for those early adopters who get the machine to showcase it and give the breakdown. Because if it's the real deal, it's a $24,000 or more VR amusement experience in the home for less than $2600. Which would be insane.

Last edited:
cGc

One step closer to the animus from the Assassins creed movie!!

Cohetedor

Looks very impressive, but Id be interested to see height and weight limits for it. Can't imagine it holding up too well to a big and tall guy jumping up and down on it.

Killer8

Sorry, I play games to sit down and relax after work (even VR games are mostly sitting experiences). The idea of running around a game world sounds like absolute hell.

Crayon

I always thought these were a lot of trouble to incorporate the least interesting part of a game. Still really neat. There would be some games where this would be clutch. Those would be very limited tho.

Zannegan

I love the idea but not the implementation.

Someday, I'd like to see Boston Dynamics get in on the action with an exoskeleton solution. Not that I'd ever be able to personally afford one, mind, but I'd join a gym for some full motion VR PVP.

The military will probably give them a contract for something like that at some point, right? Lol.

I love the idea but not the implementation.

Someday, I'd like to see Boston Dynamics get in on the action with an exoskeleton solution. Not that I'd ever be able to personally afford one, mind, but I'd join a gym for some full motion VR PVP.

The military will probably give them a contract for something like that at some point, right? Lol.

While that seems awesome, it also seems like the way some kind of techno-caveman would do it. For truly immersive simulated experiences we really need to cut out all this middleman bullshit and just interface directly with the brain or nervous system.

The funny thing about The Matrix is that people would be fighting and staging revolutions to get in, not out.

Zannegan

While that seems awesome, it also seems like the way some kind of techno-caveman would do it. For truly immersive simulated experiences we really need to cut out all this middleman bullshit and just interface directly with the brain or nervous system.

The funny thing about The Matrix is that people would be fighting and staging revolutions to get in, not out.
Eh, I like the idea of getting a workout while playing CoD. I don't like the idea of direct brain interface, techno caveman or no. =P

EDIT: In a perfect world, sure, but I don't trust any company having direct access to my input/output.

Last edited:
Eh, I like the idea of getting a workout while playing CoD. I don't like the idea of direct brain interface, techno caveman or no. =P

You're right, I think I misunderstood you. An exoskeleton that provides resistance against you, instead of doing the work for you, is an awesome separate use case that I hadn't considered.

Bring on the entertainment-based personnel trainers!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That looks pretty impressive for the price. The price is still way out of my league, though. One day I will get some lens adaptors though and do the ghetto version of this in a field.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

This is insane to me. If you have the money and you're really that into motion controls, then okay have fun. I don't care for any motion controls tbh. The little bit that games like AstroBot had was okay, but I would really prefer just sitting down with a controller.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How fast can you "run"? The video looks a little sketchy with the running, it's not like someone going nearly all out on a treadmill. Is it feasible to design something that you could really run on and get a VR workout with that can also be used as a treadmill without the VR? Being strapped in would be acceptable. If that happens, I might be in.

I tried a VR experience event one time, where you had full body tracking and walked around in a big warehouse. That was truly exceptional, so if this can replicate that - cool as hell!

But too expensive for me personally.

Last edited:

Sakura

I kind of want to try something like this, but I'm not really willing to spend that much money just to do so.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Now let’s see a real 300 lb gamer on there 🤣🤣 or a 99 lb one that failed gym. Both would play for 5 mins before taking a break.

A lot of gamers don’t want to move around but I have ideas for vr games for them!

Adventures in MRI
Vampires at Noon
Afterlife of a Pharaoh
God of Snores
Horizon Sleep till Dawn
Halo prequel: In Stasis

Now let’s see a real 300 lb gamer on there

Actually apparently,
Weight Limit: Accommodates a user height ranging from 4'8” to 6'5” (142cm - 195cm) and a weight up to 280 lbs (130kg).

280 is actually pretty good for a machine like this, that's pretty much all gamers except for the huge ones, and even they could still likely use it if they don't jump. Since you're fastened you'll stay on the machine as well.

I'd still wait for some people to try it out on video to see if that trailers is indeed representing the machine, but if it is than I would say this might be worth the actual cost or monthly payment IF you want an experience where you want to feel like you are IN the VR world and want experience like being chased by a boulder or running in city streets in a shoot out.

But there's also many who just want to use VR standing or sitting down. This seems to be more for those who want full immersion of the arcade at home.

Currently it has some limitations and I don't know if it will ever look not ridiculous, but as far as I'm concerned, this type of solution is the only way I'll ever get into VR. I want something that allows me to move around without bumping into real life objects, the type of immersiveness a treadmill would allow would be unprecedented. Obviously it's still a ways away but I'm excited for this as the more innovation in this area of VR the better. I think this type of VR, once optimized, will completely change gaming as we know it, whether that's 5 years from now, or 50 years from now, I'm excited

Virtual Stupidity ™. It's time to stop.

R.0ae5ec53b70d84f7006bc47f654f8c7c

Son and I have "game-d" on similar setups a few times over the years in arcades. It's always shit and a gimmick that you don't even want to finish your 10 mins allotted time with. MR/AR/holograms and similar surpass this silliness.

Save us Neuralink.

StereoVsn

I mean if they manage to , deliver on their promises...that price is understandable. Pretty wild they got it that low frankly.

Yeah, $3K is a lot but unlike Apple's gen 1, there is pretty immersive stuff in here. The issue is that there won't be AAA games to play on this $3K+ rig (shipping, taxes, etc).

Edit: NVM, older headset bundled and standalone Quest 2 quality games (no PC required).

Last edited:
I mean if they manage to , deliver on their promises...that price is understandable. Pretty wild they got it that low frankly.

Yeah, $3K is a lot but unlike Apple's gen 1, there is pretty immersive stuff in here. The issue is that there won't be AAA games to play on this $3K+ rig (shipping, taxes, etc).

Says it's targeting 30 games at launch. I guess it depends on what they are and how much play and content they have.

StereoVsn

Says it's targeting 30 games at launch. I guess it depends on what they are and how much play and content they have.
They are talking headset store games. Meh, this is going to be the usual Oculus/Meta store fare and not PC ones judging by the article. $3K is a big ask for that sort of thing.

They are talking headset store games. Meh, this is going to be the usual Oculus/Meta store fare and not PC ones judging by the article. $3K is a big ask for that sort of thing.

Many top devs have their games in multiple stores, so until we know what those 30 games are, it's hard to know if they will be worth the experiences or now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Steam VR supports all kinds of weird gizmos, leg tracking etc - they would probably find a way to support this. It's just running being used for movement, everything else is just the headset.

Comandr

I like the idea of this a lot. As someone who cannot handle any sort of VR that doesn't support room scale/teleportation, this would actually get me to play those games. But I would definitely want to try it before I plunked down 3 grand on it.

Top Bottom