• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vlambeer is currently working on several updates for it's games, Book also announced

After Nuclear Throne’s launch, we took a few months of time apart from each other to recover.

We have been struggling with Nuclear Throne’s patch and some other backlog. The patch is an ongoing process (we’ve submitted for a new certification round this week), and has been rather embarrassing and frustrating for everybody on the team. Game Maker, our middleware, absolutely isn’t built for PlayStation updates, and Nuclear Throne being the first test case of a Game Maker game natively on PlayStation means that every problem we run across needs to be found by SONY, addressed by YoYoGames, tested by us, and then submitted to certification again. It’s been a slow, grueling, process. We take full responsibility for the delay, and we’re positive that we’re finally getting close.

Jan Willem went back to prototyping, and creating small side projects to sling his creativity back into shape. He recently released a small “solo” project in the form of DISC ROOM, which is a collaboration between Kitty Calis, Doseone (who we also worked with on GUN GODZ & Nuclear Throne), and himself. It was available as a Humble Original in the Humble Monthly of August 2016. You can, however, still grab the soundtrack over on Bandcamp.

Rami has been working on a lot of the Vlambeer-related stuff further up ahead, but he also spend some time making some “solo” stuff. One of his recent trips took him to a gamejam in a castle in Sweden, where he met a bunch of developers from all over the world. Together, they created a hotel maintenance simulation game in the shape of Breach & Clean, which is a freeware download.

Birthdays! Patches! Updates! Fixes!
In the meanwhile, we’ve been working on some other things in the background. At the start of September, Vlambeer turns six years old! We’ve spent this first downtime in years fondly looking back at six years of ridiculousness and hard work with Vlambeer, but in looking back, we also found a young studio that made some mistakes along the way. We’re committed to fixing those, and while we’re cleaning house, we might as well make some other improvements.

There will be updated freeware versions of Super Crate Box and GUN GODZ. Both will also release for Mac and Linux.

There is an upcoming PC update for Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, and Mac and Linux builds will be added there as well.

On mobile, we’ll be releasing a patch for both Super Crate Box iOS and Ridiculous Fishing in the next few months, enabling support for new devices and aspect ratios. We’re sad to announce that, as you probably expected by now, the Ridiculous Fishing content update will not occur. We’ve thought long and carefully about this, but Ridiculous Fishing is really perfect as it is. We simply couldn’t find a way to improve it in a meaningful way, and as such, we’d rather leave it as is, instead of adding things for the sake of adding them.

We are happy to announce we will be working with Abstraction Games to try and bring a PS3 and PS Vita patch to LUFTRAUSERS. This patch will fix an old trophy problem some of our vocal fans have been asking about in more and less polite ways, and we didn’t want to disappoint those of you who asked politely.

Nuclear Throne will get an update on PC, Mac and Linux in the course of this month. This will bring the game to update 99 on Steam, Humble and GoG, and will fix some of the remaining bugs. We are thankful to YellowAfterlife and Darwin from the community for their help in identifying and solving these, and to the entire Nuclear Throne community for their ongoing support. The PlayStation patches, when approved, will bring the game to update 99 on those platforms too, and fix some of the glaring problems of the console build.

All of this made us a bit nostalgic! Going over our old projects, back to little games such as Dinosaur Zookeeper and KARATE, and old hits like Super Crate Box and Radical Fishing – it was quite a trip down memory lane. Vlambeer has been an amazing rollercoaster so far, and sometimes things moved so fast we can barely remember what happened.

Announcement!

We wanted to find a way to document our history, and we got in touch with the fine folks at Cook & Becker to help us out. They suggested the idea of a book. So, for the first time ever, Vlambeer is announcing a book.

StandardLimited-2-1024x482.png

We’re really excited to announce 120 Years Of Vlambeer And Friends, an art & history book of everything we’ve ever made as Vlambeer. We’re excited about the whole thing, and since we’ve never released a physical product of this scale before, this is all rather exciting to us.

Written by the writer of Killzone Visual Design, Arjan Terpstra, the book delves into our history, our designs, our process, and our projects. Arjan went and asked for full access to our archives, and he found design sketches, ideas and conversations we had all but forgotten about.

page03-1024x860.jpg

The 120 Years Of Vlambeer And Friends edition is available at $39 and features the 256x256mm artbook with a blue cover. It is over 150 pages, full of beautiful art, and features a 20.000 word history of Vlambeer, interviews with the two of us, our team members, and the people around us, and insights into our design, design sketches, history and our games.

page01-1024x860.jpg

Then there is the signed Limited Edition, which is being printed in a limited run. Now, the contents of the book itself are identical, besides the cover being in bright red instead of blue. The Limited Edition comes in what we think is a beautiful 307x307mm box.

In the box, you’ll find a numbered and limited art print, created according to Cook & Becker’s stringent quality guidelines. You’ll also find a custom Vlambeer notebook and marker to jot down your own game ideas or thoughts. Finally, you’ll find a collection of all of our games (& some additional prototypes). Each of the limited editions will be hand-signed by both of us. The Limited Edition sells at $93.50.

Limited-3-1024x530.png

Pre-orders for both editions are available through Cook & Becker right now, with worldwide shipping.

Nice to see an update from them, the book looks interesting.

Pre-Order Link: https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/19...ng-back-arcade-games-since-1896-vlambeer.html

Source: http://www.vlambeer.com/2016/08/announcement/

Rami's been pretty vocal about patching and such for a while, so it's nice to see him finally get something worked out for Luftrausers/Nuclear Throne on Vita.

While I can understand the frustrations of fans while playing these games, he received way too much shit for it imo.

Rami's been pretty vocal about patching and such for a while, so it's nice to see him finally get something worked out for Luftrausers/Nuclear Throne on Vita.

While I can understand the frustrations of fans while playing these games, he received way too much shit for it imo.

Agree, as much as I may disagree with him at times the dude has worked his ass off.

Glad they're finally getting around to patching Nuclear Throne. As much as I enjoy it, Sony's certification should've stopped the game from being released in its current state.

If they wait 4 more months they could patch Nuclear Throne on the one year anniversary of its release on PSN

(I jest but man it's taken a long time)

VLiberty

Great news. I'm totally going to buy Nuclear Throne
SCB is on iOS? Hopefully it's ios 6 compatible, but I guess the update won't...

I'll cry so much when I'll lose access to the PSMobile version. pls, do a native Vita version

gunstarhero

What exactly are the issues that need to be patched for NT? I played a little bit on vita, but not enough I guess to notice.

DireStr8s

What exactly are the issues that need to be patched for NT? I played a little bit on vita, but not enough I guess to notice.

Game crashes on death in palace level, including loops
Sometimes crashes randomly
Locks up if controller powers down
Save data wipes
B-Skins aren't enabled
Crowns aren't enabled
Cannot toggle golden weapons on/off
Dailies don't work
Weeklies don't work
Dpad not enabled

I think that's it?

Still, by far, my favorite game on Ps4.

Besides d-pad not working the cursor doesn't always default to "try again" after death, so you'll be mashing X to hop right back in and it'll kick you to the menu

Those were the most annoying bugs for me. I still love it but yea...pretty sure they said they were working on that stuff last December

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome to see Luftrausers getting a patch too. I've been checking for a NT vita patch almost every day now, looking forward to being able to stop that.

I read that post about the difficult certification process so I'm not annoyed, but loved those games and want them gemified on the vita.

Not sure how to take this. Rami was quick to kill support for certain games, that is, until the backlash. I still don't know how he expected people who supported him (and who continue to do so) to react to hearing "Hey, that thing I sold you and is broken, well, sorry. It's going to stay broken. I love you though". Definitely going to keep a close eye on him and probably not purchase any of Vlambear games till I see better support for their software. Hell, I'd be willing to pay $5 extra to make sure there's better customer service from VB.

Also, bring Luftruasers and SuperCrateBox to PS4. They don't even need to be crossbuy.

gunstarhero

Game crashes on death in palace level, including loops
Sometimes crashes randomly
Locks up if controller powers down
Save data wipes
B-Skins aren't enabled
Crowns aren't enabled
Cannot toggle golden weapons on/off
Dailies don't work
Weeklies don't work
Dpad not enabled

I think that's it?

Still, by far, my favorite game on Ps4.

Holy shit - I thought I was just dumb and couldn't figure how to swap the skins on/off that I unlocked. LOL.

Skyzard

Banned
===bump===

What happened to the Vita updates for Luftrausers and Nuclear Throne?

-also apparently kotaku has a review of the book now

tanooki27

they're not adding more to the fishing game?!??!! best iPad game I've ever played and it is screaming for more content.

seriously, the most brilliant IPad game. fucking satisfying.

add a few more areas guys! and not for free either. I and I gotta believe many others would pay for a nice expansion

Top Bottom