• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: The alt-right is more than warmed-over white supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

/pol/ has already influenced this election to some extent. Can't Stump The Drumpf is their baby and they output memes like crazy which then get recycled through the rest of the internet. They don't fully relate to White Nationalist causes but definitely Nationalism and highly anti-current left.

Their Syria Generals are great though. Recently, /pol/ figured out coordinates of rebels in Syria, delivered them to Russia's military via twitter and then Russia successfully carried that strike.

That is the single most terrifying thing I have read on the internet all week.

Lime

I'm saying that the reason that this is propaganda, the very reason people talk like this, and THINK THESE THINGS, is that they legitimately believe it, whether it's t rue or not. It's still irrational, it's still mostly wrong, it's still a problem, but they're not exactly cream of the crop mentally stable. There really is no other suitable explanation for why it had so many people, disaffected as they were, rallied around a common cause.

No, while I agree with the group mechanisms and collective reinforcements of beliefs that you're describing, I disagree with the motivation for this reactionary collective gathering. Like so many other conversations about injustice and structural inequities this is linked to what I posted above:

rather than admit to their role in gentrification, wealth disparity and job displacement, are casting themselves as victims.

It's not only about nerd culture and feeling ostracized by mainstream culture overall, but also more about admonition and acknowledgment. This is a very common phenomenon whenever power relationships get mentioned or pushed back against - rather than listening and opening up, people shut down and deny reality in order to maintain the comfortable status quo. This is in part an explanation for why these people sought refuge in a toxic but safe ideology that helped them think that everyone else is the problem and not themselves.

Pedrito

They'd be so easy to ignore if not for their dumb lingo (SJW, cuck, trigger, etc.) getting picked up in more mainstream circles.

aeolist

Banned
I'm saying that the reason that this is propaganda, the very reason people talk like this, and THINK THESE THINGS, is that they legitimately believe it, whether it's t rue or not. It's still irrational, it's still mostly wrong, it's still a problem, but they're not exactly cream of the crop mentally stable. There really is no other suitable explanation for why it had so many people, disaffected as they were, rallied around a common cause.
my point is that this

Well, this is what happens when you ostracize otherwise normal, if socially inept people.
is incorrect. people who are merely "socially inept" don't do these kinds of things, they happen because these are aggressive bullies and sadists. i get that some of them really think that SJWs are invading their exclusive space and trying to take their toys, but the fact that they're able to hold this perception at all speaks to their utter lack of perspective and empathy which has far more impact on their politics than social ostracization.

It's not only about nerd culture and feeling ostracized by mainstream culture overall, but also more about admonition and acknowledgment. This is a very common phenomenon whenever power relationships get mentioned or pushed back against - rather than listening and opening up, people shut down and deny reality in order to maintain the comfortable status quo.

Well, that's the thing I'm trying to impart, here. If we treat irrational people like rational people, and assume their decision making process is rational, we'll never actually understand their reasoning. In short: How do we STOP this from happening again? You're absolutely right about people denying reality rather than facing it, and I'm saying that it's an irrational response, by irrational people, who then tried to justify it with the above -- not pushing their propaganda, but understanding it, and why it worked so well.

aeolist said:
but the fact that they're able to hold this perception at all speaks to their utter lack of perspective and empathy which has far more impact on their politics than social ostracization.

Mmhm. Like, say, being part of a community that doesn't really police the sort of things that might reinforce their FUBAR beliefs. Like 4chan, or Reddit, or Tumblr. Perspective comes from experience, experience they lack because they found their own safe space that never really fixed their underlying issues. All of this together creates some fucked up amalgamation of lies, misinformation, sexism, and racism. It's always the same, too. Whether it be Stormfront, r/conservative, /pol/, /b/, zero henge, or whatever. The fact that they get satisfaction out of the scenario other further reinforces the fact that, to them, it's an 'us vs. them' mentality. Just like any other echo chamber.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man, a friend of mine has been ultra-intrigued by the idea of genetic inheritance of intelligence that's prevalent in neo-reactionist and dark enlightenment philosophy.

I read the Dark Enlightenment by Nick Land and I was enraged.

Like it's literally structured, high highfalutin trolling. Like, it introduces a pretty objective argument, then illicits an emotional response by making some heinous argument, then condemns the emotional response...It was like getting gaslit.

In my opinion, it completely overstates the sensitivity and profound detriment of the "liberal elite," makes completely derogatory blanket statements, lambastes any normal rational reaction to said statements, and conveniently cherry picks and ignores important social, political, and historical context at it's mercy.

Like, it's thought process is that liberal thinkers will be passive enough to allow this thought group to grow, yet tears them apart for their pacifism allowing for the rise of inequality?

Anyway, I'm angry now. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom