• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WA Supreme Court rules against florist who discriminated against same-sex couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd alleviate the sense of panic going on in the Trump conference thread with this story.

The Washington Supreme Court ruled unanimously Thursday that Barronelle Stutzman, owner of Arlene’s Flowers, violated state nondiscrimination laws when she refused to sell flowers for a same-sex couple’s wedding back in 2013.

When Robert Ingersoll and Curt Freed asked her to provide flowers for their wedding, Stutzman refused, citing her religious beliefs. Both the couple and the state attorney general sued her for violating Washington’s law protecting against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and she countersued, seeking the right to engage in such discrimination in the name of “religious freedom.” A lower court had ruled against her and required her to pay a fine of $1,000.

The Court also rejected Stutzman’s arguments that the nondiscrimination law infringed on her free speech because flower arrangements are artistic. Flowers are not “inherently expressive,” the Court ruled, because “the decision to either provide or refuse to provide flowers for a wedding does not inherently express a message about that wedding.” Stutzman herself had admitted that providing flowers to a wedding between Muslims would not constitute an endorsement for Islam, nor would flowers for an atheist wedding have endorsed atheism.

Her argument that it violated her religious beliefs fared no better. The law protecting against discrimination does not unfairly target religious beliefs, because it applies equally to all people. And her claim that there were other floral shops willing to serve the couple ignores that such protections serve a broader societal purpose: eradicating barriers to the equal treatment of all citizens in the commercial marketplace. Were the Court to carve out a special exception for her beliefs, “that purpose would be fatally undermined.”

“We agree with Ingersoll and Freed,” the Court wrote, “that ‘this case is no more bout access to flowers than civil rights cases in the 1960s were about access to sandwiches.’”

The fact that this was a unanimous vote especially makes me happy.

Supreme Court... of Washington. Still good news, but.

This does mean that the only avenue of repealing will be the U.S. Supreme Court, right?

If this happens, then the Supreme Court rules in favor of the lower courts, it could mean that sexual orientation and (possibly) gender identity can finally be federally protected classes.

Oh, this is not the same as the US Supreme Court?

Forgive me if I'm not as informed as the rest of you, I live in Canada. I wasn't aware.

Could a Mod edit the title in this case?

Yeah, every state has their own Supreme Court that rules on state matters and whose decisions only hold power within that state. Te actual Supreme Court is called the Supreme Court of the United States, or SCOTUS.

This does mean that the only avenue of repealing will be the U.S. Supreme Court, right?

If this happens, then the Supreme Court rules in favor of the lower courts, it could mean that sexual orientation and (possibly) gender identity can finally be federally protected classes.

Don't hold your breath on that. The US supreme court will son tilt on the conservative side, so I doubt they are going to vote in favor of anti discrimination for the LGBT community.

Don't hold your breath on that. The US supreme court will son tilt on the conservative side, so I doubt they are going to vote in favor of anti discrimination for the LGBT community.

Everyone who voted in favor of gay marriage is still there. I don't expect Kennedy to do a 180 on something like this.

Yeah, there is no chance in Hell the US supreme court would have been unanimous on this.

Still nice though.

The internet would be engulfed by a tsunami of 'Christian' tears if this was a SCOTUS ruling. Because nothing is more Christ like than passing down judgement on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom