• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal: The 5 hour workday gets put to the test

BlueAlpaca

BIELEFELD, Germany— Lasse Rheingans realized taking time to check Facebook or respond to reply-all emails distracted him from work goals and caused him to spend extra hours at the office rather than with his young daughters.

So when he acquired a small tech consulting firm here in late 2017, he introduced a radical idea: Reduce the workday to five hours, from the standard eight, while leaving worker salaries and vacation time at the same levels.

“They were not sure if I was kidding,” he says. “Some of them thought I was testing them. But yeah, I was being serious.”

At the firm he renamed Rheingans Digital Enabler, the 16 employees start work at 8 a.m. and may leave at 1 p.m. Mr. Rheingans, the firm's managing director, says employees can deliver the same output during a focused 25-hour week as in 40 hours interrupted with distractions.

“We have all experienced that: We sit in the office, out of energy, reading newspapers online or Facebook, just in need of the little pauses to recharge, but you don’t really recharge,” he says. “My idea is focusing on the first five hours and then just leave, and have a proper break.”

To accomplish that, small talk during work hours is discouraged. Social media is banned. Phones are kept in backpacks. Company email accounts are checked just twice a day. Most meetings are scheduled to last no more than 15 minutes.

As a result, the company produces the same level of output for clients despite shorter days, says Mr. Rheingans. He says the company, which develops websites, apps and e-commerce platforms, was profitable in 2018, the first full year he owned it. He says happier employees deliver better work for clients, and the shorter workday is a draw, boosting recruitment in Germany’s tight labor market.

At 7:55 a.m. on a recent Tuesday, employees gathered in a small kitchen in the sixth-floor office overlooking the city’s weather vane-topped spires. They filled coffee mugs and discussed the changing leaves. By 8, each was seated.

Project manager Jana Burdach entered the office at 8:15 with her dog Bonnie. Mr. Rheingans initially required employees to arrive at 8, but later relaxed that rule.

“It’s not really about the process of establishing a five-hour day. It’s about individual maturity,” he says. “It’s so silly to think of a 40-hour workweek when work is not a place or time.” It’s an activity, he says.

The five-hour day brings challenges, employees say, with the pressure to produce the same work in less time. They also had to adjust to not texting or talking with family during the workday.

But the shorter schedule freed marketing assistant Lucas da Costa to return to a long-shelved hobby of drawing portraits. It also allowed him to take a part-time job on weekends and play basketball more frequently with friends, who are jealous of his shorter workday.

“When you work until the evening, you just want to go lie on the couch and chill,” the 25-year-old says.

At a previous firm, Mr. Rheingans took a salary cut so he could spend two afternoons a week with his children. A few months later he asked for his salary to be reinstated because he was producing as much work as before. His partners agreed, though, he says, they were rankled by the arrangement. He started researching new work-time concepts before he purchased Digital Enabler.

One model he reviewed was San Diego’s Tower Paddle Boards, which began a five-hour workday in 2015. Chief Executive Stephan Aarstol says that as an entrepreneur, he typically worked irregular hours but felt guilty leaving the office for the beach when others were still at their desks.

Mr. Aarstol says the five-hour experiment was an initial success, allowing him to reward productive employees and weed out those marking time. Two years later, he limited five-hour days to the summer months because it sapped some employees’ enthusiasm.

“We lost the startup culture,” he says. “Everyone’s outside life got so much better, at the expense of their passion for the work.”

Brian Kropp, chief of research at Gartner Inc.’s human-resource practice, says the five-hour workday idea fits with the broader trend of companies looking to increase flexibility, which many workers value above pay. Research shows most people are only productive for four or five hours of the workday, so reducing work time doesn’t necessarily cost companies output, he says.

Still, managers need to support the change, and employees might need to stagger schedules to ensure customers’ needs are met, Mr. Kropp says.

“The most important thing, and the hardest to make happen, is being willing to change the mindset,” he says. “You can’t just say it, and then be frustrated when employees don’t respond to email until the next morning.”

At Digital Enabler, a monitor displays the hours, minutes and seconds remaining in the workday. At 1 p.m., the display changed to “#high5, #feierabend”—or closing time in German. One employee packed up and said goodbye. There wasn’t a rush to leave. Another worker fetched Chinese takeout and joined two colleagues for lunch in the conference room.

By 1:45 p.m., only two developers remained, their eyes trained to their screens. Ms. Burdach, their manager, says it is often necessary to work more than a five-hour day to meet client deadlines.

“We can’t always say to a customer ‘Hey, it’s one o’clock in the afternoon, we’ll see you tomorrow,’ ” she says. But clients are adjusting. “Our customers understand,” Ms. Burdach says. “Some asked if we have job offers for them.”

This would be awesome if it catches on, but I don't have much hope. Here's another article from 2015 saying work hours are getting longer.

Check out the wsj twitter thread comments...

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Pretty cool article. Makes me think, though, that most firms who would apply this rule will realize their staff is shite considering the whole "losing passion for work" thing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I propose the 35 Hour Wildcard Week

Monday: 8-5pm, 1 hour lunch
Tuesday: 8-3:30pm, no lunch
Wednesday: 8-8pm, 1 hour lunch
Thursday: 8-3:30pm, no lunch
Friday: 9am-10am conference call/skype meeting to debrief, review week, preview upcoming week, e.t.c.

Hump day is truly hump day. Monday is still Monday. Tuesday and Thursday are tight efficient days.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I'm very interested to see the results. Hope there are some researchers following what will happen in the next months.

There are studies pointing out that an adult have only 3 hours of optimal concentration per day plus one more hour of mediocre focus. If this is true, many jobs would benefit a lot of cuting the hours at work.

But I'm curious if people will get used to the 5 hours and start wasting time regardless.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Honestly, when I worked on oil pipelines, I was on a shedule that was awesome. 8 days on at 10 to 12 hour days and 6 days off. Wed to Wed. We would hand off to our equal about the things that we accomplished and they would take it from there. PTO was awesome because you could book 8 days off and have 12 days interspersed.

I was so productive.

I miss it tbh. Now it's just 12 hour days and upper management writing sternly lettered questions in Slack on a Saturday.
That totally didn't happen when I was writing this up.

Atrus

Gold Member
I think the fear is that if people found you could do 40 hours of work in 25 hours, they'd just pay you for the 25 hours or expect your output to double for your current salary.

I’ve been doing about 30 a week on a six-figure salary for years now. As a software engineer, skill and experience can drastically cut your work time down.

There’s guys at work that can spend 12 hours developing something that takes me 4 hours to write. They complain about being tired and overworked but that’s not really the problem, the problem is they are not experienced enough and they need more time to get things done.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This would kill productivity in any job that requires actual labor or building shit. Basically this will only work for the people that sit all day. I know people that work 50+ hours a day. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM! (right?)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good on paper assuming in those 5 hr days, the people don't still goof off surfing the net, checking their social media accounts o talking about what they did on the weekend.

In other words, they want employees working like robots for 5 hrs straight.

Not going to happen.

Also, many jobs require lots of interactions with other commpanies, customers, shipping and receiving etc.... Trying to cap people into a tight 5 day x 5 hr week only works for certain jobs.... like office jobs where people are goofing off in the cafeteria or surfing the net.

Have fun trying to have a large warehouse working a 5x5 schedule per week.

Last edited:
As a manager Im working 6 days a week so having only 1 day off is really not enough for proper rest. However I do like jobs that make you work 3 weeks in a row but then you get 3 weeks off next. Thats a pretty good sacrifice and perk.

Kenpachii

I think the fear is that if people found you could do 40 hours of work in 25 hours, they'd just pay you for the 25 hours or expect your output to double for your current salary.

People would just take 2 jobs and work 50 hours. Easy money. Massive influx of income everything gets expensive as shit because of it which makes 50 hour work week the new 40 hour week.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile I'm here working a 14 hour shift for like 8 dollars an hour

qMPPLp6.gif

Prison Mike

Banned
I only work Fri sat sun days 12 hour days get paid more due to unsociable hours but my jobs piece off piss n I enjoy it so I'm easy

Greedings

Yeah this won’t work. I work with plenty of part-timers. Just because they work less doesn’t mean they slack off less. They’re still gossiping and chit chatting. They’re still taking extra long lunches and hour long dumps.

Kadayi

Banned

^Pretty much this. I freelance for a Design consultancy and everything is charged by the hour in terms of the work, and the company directors want to pack in as many chargeable hours in a week as humanly possible and the law allows, For the most part, they try and be as lean as they can be, but greater efficiency at one end just means more work can be put through and charged for. With all that said, there are definitely benefits to be had from not overworking people, especially in creative endeavours.

Blade2.0

That's why you base pay around liveable wages instead of "how much time are you on the clock?"

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’d still work all I could, but I enjoy my job so why wouldn’t I. But it would be nice for those who hate their jobs.

Top Bottom