• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: A white man called her kids the n-word. Facebook stopped her from sharing it.

Busaiku

This statement makes no sense, as if Facebook had a free speech policy she wouldn't have had her post taken down. The issue is that Facebook is limiting speech on their platform, and doing so in a way people find inconsistent and arbitrary.
That's the point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Automatic moderation is pretty difficult. It removes the nuance. I mean she literally posted hate speech. You think an algorithm is gonna care about the contextual nuances?

Meanwhile, manual review is slow, expensive, and inconsistent. So I am not sure for a company it is really all that much better.

I don't think there's a right answer. Just a "least wrong" one.

YourMaster

Funny,.... if I understand those rules correctly on facebook you could say 'Everybody living in, or originating from Africa is subhuman trash', but saying stuff like 'The French smell like cheese' is forbidden.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's also growing kind of tiresome to see the banhammer coming down swiftly on social activists, but every other day we read stories about hate groups and shit-posters who roam free until they make a public ass of themselves OFF of the platform. Then FB jumps in trying to play the hero.

Beyond tiresome and yet the media doesn't touch them on this issue or others.

Facebook has sided with the racists for awhile now, this isn't surprising

The people that work there are clearly on the racist side of things

Facebook is a disgrace.

If Zuckerberg is such a liberal why do their algorithms discriminate against minority speech but not white speech at all?

There needs to be a new social media platform that is free from the disease of Alt right.

He is a technocrat libertarian that is really just a conservative at the end of the day without any of the bible stuff.

Imm0rt4l

This happens constantly in activist circles. Hell, just today a black woman, an activist and writer, was banned for sharing racist messages and death threats she's received on facebook.

Zoe

Automatic moderation is pretty difficult. It removes the nuance. I mean she literally posted hate speech. You think an algorithm is gonna care about the contextual nuances?

Meanwhile, manual review is slow, expensive, and inconsistent. So I am not sure for a company it is really all that much better.

I don't think there's a right answer. Just a "least wrong" one.
This is where I am. What solution do people actually have in mind as they're cursing Silicon Valley?

Lowmelody

This isn't an accident. The 'blame it on the algoryrhythmz' excuse wore thin ages ago. We are in the midst of a full on white nationalist uprising and they refuse to moderate their service that they make a fortune on.

Privatizing profit while socializing cost just like normal, except now that cost is measured in risk to minorities.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This isn't an accident. The 'blame it on the algoryrhythmz' excuse wore thin ages ago. We are in the midst of a full on white nationalist uprising and they refuse to moderate their service that they make a fortune on.

Are we reading the same thread? I thought the issue here was that the moderation was too strict.

Top Bottom