• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warlords I, II & III FINALLY Available Through GOG.com

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not sure how many people will care about this, but the classic Warlords series is finally available on a digital platform for the first time (officially).

I was addicted to Warlords III back in the day and I know many people have been waiting for these games to reappear, so I hope I make some people happy by highlighting this.

PLPlTu2.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only played Warlords 1 and a bit of Warlords II Deluxe, but back when I played it in the 90s Warlords 1 is fucking awesome!

Ya, it takes forever to clear a map, and everyone who played it cheated by saving before opening a chest or ruins, or taking over a neutral city, but a very easy to play game.

For those of you who never played the game, make sure to take advantage of making units and having them automatically transfer to other cities (adds 2 turns for delivery). It will make your game go much faster than trying to make everything at a city and walking them one at a time to form armies forging ahead.

Take the Orcs of Kor (red flag). Open area, lots of good units like wolfriders. Skip Lord Bane in the top right corner. You'll be bored as that faction is isolated with this hilly terrain where even your units take forever to climb out of it.

I only dabbled in Warlords II Deluxe as I got burnt out of Warlords 1, but it has much more content and the Deluxe edition even had map and unit editors for people dedicated enough to create. There was a bug in some maps though where some units which you'd think should be low powered, were some reason rated a 9 (max), but they played like a shitty 3 or 4. So if you see some shitty units like archers on some maps rated a 9 at cheap gold (I forget), it's BS and they are actually powered at their usual level.

Never played Warlords III, though the graphics were way improved.

If you never played these, I'd go for Warlords III right off the bat. I remember it getting good reviews and the production values are improved. Playing Warlords 1 (made in 1990 I think) you're staring at basic graphics and almost zero sound. I think it was EGA visuals too. And it only had one map.

Last edited:
Never tried 1 or 3, but I played the crap out of 2. For 6 bucks I'll take the nostalgia trip. I love gog, it is an absolute goldmine for a fogey like me.

DiscoJer

Warlords 2 was originally also in EGA, and they released an editor for it, then released Warlords 2 Deluxe with had VGA graphics and included many of the best user created scenarios.

3 was a lot more complex, with persistent heroes and linked scenarios.

Top Bottom