• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was L.A Noire such a flop for studios to drop the Detective genre?

iorek21

For such a popular genre on other media, the Detective genre is rather poor in AAA gaming. Did the below average sales of L.A. Noire back in 2011 impact the industry’s perception of the genre?

L.A. Noire was a very unique experience, it really made you feel like a detective. It had questioning, chases, shooting, investigations, deductions; you felt in control during each case. It had some issues and that facial scan thing probably took half of the budget, but it was a great AAA game.

It’s actually surprising that no other studio tried to replicate it in 12 years since its release. Why’s that?

Hell, even less popular genres got second chances in the AAA scene, how come the Detective genre keeps being ignored?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They remastered it and did a VR game, I wouldn't have called it a flop.
You gotta remember even if you're interested in those games that doesn't mean the developers are.
But yes it would be nice to have another games like that.

Verchod

It's certainly a shame. I'd love a new detective game. LA Noire was great, but it felt a bit rigid. But it's probably really hard to do if you were given more freedom in the investigation part. I do think it would be the best reason to have an open world in a game though. To me it feels like nearly all open world games don't really need it, city based ones anyway, as it's rarely used for any thing.

Hugare

It was such a flop that killed the studio

It's a very expensive type of game to make, and not very marketable

Making AAA games never been this risky as they are nowadays. No big publisher would take this risk.

Maybe a self publish dev like Valve, but they wouldnt be interested in this kind of experience. And even them are aiming for the easy GAAS money nowadays.

I loved LA Noire, btw. Finished it on the PS3 and PC. Also bought it on PS4

And the Ace Attorney series is my jam

ace attorney lawyer GIF by Funimation

Video Game Judge GIF by CAPCOM

Skifi28

I don't know how accurate the info on the web is, but 4 million sales in one month doesn't sound like a flop to me. But if it's not GTA money, Rockstar doesn't seem to care.

ckaneo

Rockstar dropped RDR2 and it sold 50 million copies lol.

They are obsessed with GTA Online.

I think what killed detective games is every game adding detective vision and detective elements in regular gameplay. If I'm playing a superhero or super-powered being who can do detective stuff hard to justify a big budget game about regular people.

RoboCain

There is this thing with games, big audiences only pay attention to the latest releases.

So, whenever a game is out, it has to be the greatest ever or better than whatever is "the greatest thing ever" that month.

L.A. Noire is a great game for what it is, but people back then expected another action game like GTA and RDR.

The game tried to implement detective gameplay elements in a AAA game. People nitpicked on the NPC animations, how you picked the clues, etc.

On top of that, the studio had internal problems and Rockstar didn't want to work with them after the game was released. (Also, you can tell the map is a bit empty).

I always thought they could have released something like a big meaty DLC with a short campaign and some side activities to try to save the franchise.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alone in the Dark is releasing in October.
Call of Cthulhu on PS4 and whatever else it released on is a cool game (for some).
There's also no shortage of Sherlock Holmes style games but I haven't played any of them.
Murdered: Soul Suspect probably fits the bill too.

Just have to look harder, most of these games are indie-tier.

edit- someone mentioned it but Judgment and Lost Judgment fit the bill too and will give you AAA stuff to toy around with.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Disco Elysium
Ace Attorney
Judgement
Wolf Among Us

Technically, the Arkham games can also be considered detective games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I feel like the game wasn't that much of a flop but Rockstar was probably too ambitious for it.Which is agreeing in a sense that it flopped but sometimes games don't just flop, they just couldn't reach an insanely high target, even if they sell well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought what LA Noire did for the genre was a good thing. I don’t normally get into point and click, but LA Noire had action to it. Shootouts, locations to travel to and catching perps was interesting. I think at the time people wanted it to be more GTA and less of an interview simulator.

LA Noire was like a Police Quest game - or Cruise for a Corpse if you remember it- great if you love that sort of thing, but the broad appeal was limited compared to GTA.

Presumably all these Sherlock Holmes/Agatha Christie games are similar (but without the budget)?

AJUMP23

Didn’t like 15 ace attorney and detective picachu and professor laten and Sherlock Holmes games come out since la noir.

VN1X

Banned
Yes the entire "Detective" genre collapsed after Rockstar made a game that didn't sell like GTA. 🤡

Just one example from the top of my head:

Mudered.jpg

Murdered: Soul Suspect (2014)

Hudo

Imagine if Rockstar actually gave a shit and had competent project management. We could've had L.A. Noire 2 by now.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Loved LA Noire and still go back to it when I need a juicy time period piece (Mafia II also cures that 1940s/50s itch). Sucks it destroyed Team Bondi, but I was hoping R* would pick up the torch and carry it forward. Actually I was really hoping they'd take a leap into the 1970s and put a sequel in seedy, bombed out NYC taking inspiration from films like The French Connection, Serpico, Dirty Harry etc.

By the way, I never implied that Disco Elysium is a bad game. It's a very good game, I plan on replaying it again sometime in the future now that it has full voice acting and changes from the original release.

I figured but to compare it to a visual novel is a huge disservice to it. Its like saying Planescape Torment is a visual novel.

Virex

Banned
I figured but to compare it to a visual novel is a huge disservice to it. Its like saying Planescape Torment is a visual novel.
It kind of is. But at the same time Planecescape Torment is one of the greatest games ever made. On a slightly different subject. You ever play Torment: Tides Of Numernera, still one of the biggest gaming disappointments I ever had. :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

bosnianpie

I wonder why the whodunit-genre and mystery in general isn't more prevalent in games, being so popular in books and movies. It should suit the medium well and wouldn't need a whole new universe to be created since so much can be drawn from real life. I guess the replay-value would suffer but you could still create really cool experiences.

Top Bottom