• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weapons that are 100% worth the grind

castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-more-crissaegrim.gif

Stupidly easy to obtain. You can just refresh scum the spawn point of the Schmoo, which is right at the entry point, until it drops.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Super rare game changing weapons where classic PSO's bread and butter and nothing like the Yawnfest of generic +30 stats of its terrible sequel. (God I hate PSO2)

This gun... man this damn thing had a drop chance that put the very worst modern gatcha to shame and depending on your characters name and which section ID you where given it would be virtualy impossible to get (as loot tables where based on the section ID you got which is based on a score your characters name is given)

But man it was awesome once you got it, essentially if the hour was even, so 2PM - 2:59PM or 6PM - 6:59PM the special attack would essentially ion cannon strike every enemy in the room. It was an awesome feeling, of course if the hour was odd... it was just a shitty auto aim attack and I carried a spread needle (also a insane weapon) for those hours instead.

All these years later I still remember how awesome it was. It was truly game changing.

Divine_Punishment.gif

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
IMG-0374.jpg

Black Knight Halberd. Dropped by non respawning Dark Knights and chances are higher with late end game Dark Knights.

Getting the Marvel Sword early in SO2 can take some time, especially if you’re grinding for 40,000 for the gloves.

Absolutely adore this weapon. At one point, I made and deleted four or five characters in a row trying to get that halberd to drop from the Black Knight in Darkroot Garden near the beginning of the game - I finally got it and it was an exhilarating feeling demolishing everything in that playthrough.

It only feels cooler when you learn that its design is heavily based on an actual historical weapon:
main-image

off topic, but the way light bounces off many (but not all) armors in DS1 is unlike any other DS game.

DS1 just has this... sheen to armor that isnt in any of the other games.

Sadly the remaster fucked up the specular maps. One of the reasons why I'm glad I got the Prepare to Die Edition on Steam before it was removed.

GymWolf

Lately?

There is a warrior bow in the second horizon that you can only buy with the arena money.

It was a bitch to get because the arena is fucking brutal on the hardest mode but it has a small chance to activate a random status on enemies (and you can upgrade the percentage with coils so it happen more often) and since warrior bows are the fastest shooting bows, you basically have enemies always in frozen or acidic state, very fun to use and supef powerfull.

Also the boltgun in darktide, you have to play a bit to unlock it but it's top 5 best feeling weapons OF ALL TIMES, so the grind is worth.

People named the crissaegrim in sotn but the duplicator from the librarian was a much harder grind because you have to collect like 200.000 dollars to buy it and it trivialize every encounter because you can spam throwables weapons all you want.

shaddam

Not weapon (but can be used as one) : my first epic flying mount in wow. The ability to fly fucked up the worldpvp forever, but Nagrand was so beautiful from above

Worth it. Partly because it’s not so OP to break the game unlike Shield Rod + Alucard Shield.

Edit Power of Sire and the very expensive Duplicator is another option that pretty much ends any challenge from enemies and bosses.

Last edited:
Lately?

There is a warrior bow in the second horizon that you can only buy with the arena money.

It was a bitch to get because the arena is fucking brutal on the hardest mode but it has a small chance to activate a random status on enemies (and you can upgrade the percentage with coils so it happen more often) and since warrior bows are the fastest shooting bows, you basically have enemies always in frozen or acidic state, very fun to use and supef powerfull.

Also the boltgun in darktide, you have to play a bit to unlock it but it's top 5 best feeling weapons OF ALL TIMES, so the grind is worth.

People named the crissaegrim in sotn but the duplicator from the librarian was a much harder grind because you have to collect like 200.000 dollars to buy it and it trivialize every encounter because you can spam throwables weapons all you want.

Crissaegrim's difficulty is incredibly overstated. You can just spam respawn the Schmoo, an incredibly weak enemy, until it drops.

The Pluto Card from the Trick Candle in Circle of the Moon was much, much harder to obtain. 1/250 odds from an enemy you need to destroy before it makes contact with and melts into the floor.

Last edited:

Gp1

off topic, but the way light bounces off many (but not all) armors in DS1 is unlike any other DS game.

DS1 just has this... sheen to armor that isnt in any of the other games.

I've never understood this.

Dark souls 1 has some massive texture quality in armours and weapons. It doesn't make any sense for a late ps3/xbox games which is usually ram constricted and on sub 720p resolution.

Absolutely adore this weapon. At one point, I made and deleted four or five characters in a row trying to get that halberd to drop from the Black Knight in Darkroot Garden near the beginning of the game - I finally got it and it was an exhilarating feeling demolishing everything in that playthrough.

It only feels cooler when you learn that its design is heavily based on an actual historical weapon:
main-image

Sadly the remaster fucked up the specular maps. One of the reasons why I'm glad I got the Prepare to Die Edition on Steam before it was removed.
They also botched the ambient sound layers in many areas and just never patched it. For example, in Undead Parish and Demon Ruins, if you walk past certain thresholds, the ambient layers just cut out and the game goes silent in the background. This IS the game's secret weapon to its thick-ass atmosphere. It's still crazy to me this was never fixed.

On topic: I can't remember ever grinding for rare stuff. If it doesn't happen normally while I'm digging the game, I never feel motivated to make it happen.

simpatico

IMG-0374.jpg

Black Knight Halberd. Dropped by non respawning Dark Knights and chances are higher with late end game Dark Knights.

Getting the Marvel Sword early in SO2 can take some time, especially if you’re grinding for 40,000 for the gloves.
Got this early in my first ever DS run. Didn't even know how lucky I was. Never changed weapons for the entire run. Haven't touched it since. :/

The Division 2 Exotic SMG -

Ouroboros​

Took me multiple runs through the new Division 2 incursion Paradise Lost to get one. It never did drop for me but luckily it dropped for my squad mate who shared it with me. Apparently this weapon has 10% weekly chance to drop from the final cache and 1% per boss killed (and there are 4 bosses in the incursion).

If you don't get it at the end of the incursion, you have to wait a whole week for another chance to farm it again.

This exotic SMG has a crazy high fire rate at like 1650 RPM and paired with the Strikers brand the fire rate is increased another 15%. It just melts through everything.

division%202%20ouroboros%20clear_600x600.webp

Last edited:

BlakeofT

Destiny 2 : Mountaintop
This prestige pvp reward is actually the best pve weapon. You played Forsaken you would know it.
I got this thing as fast as I could since I loved GLs in Destiny PVP. Took me about 1.5 weeks of constant grinding the Comp playlist to get it. I think I got about 9K PVP kills racked up on it before it was nerfed and I moved on to other things and then eventually other games. I remember the early (streamer) impressions of the weapon saying that it was underwhelming. Ahh, how wrong they were, and what wonderful tears people shed over it. It was actually quite a while before people started to realize that it was so good in PVE. I remember getting laughed at for using it in LW, only to have out damaged everyone by quite a large margin after a wipe. I don't miss much about D2, but I sure do miss using GLs throughout all the game had to offer.

Not a single one and I stand by that. If the game isn't fun or can't find a reason to have it naturally happen I'm not spending hours upon hours for it.
What about weapons you get after finishing a first playthrough? Like an infinite weapon in an RE game or Sam’s red blade in Revengeance?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I always loved getting the Infinite Rocket Launcher in the various RE games. Not really a grind as much as a reward, though.

Gojiira

Touch of Malice, Nechrochasm,Gjallarhorn, actually quite a few Destiny 2 exotics are worth the grind.
Coral weapons in AC6, though thats not really a grind given 3 playthroughs is just natural progression but Im sure many missed them.
Literally every high tier Monster Weapon in Monster Hunter, they always look sick. Some event weapons too such as the Azure Starlord set in MHW.

Jetpac

Death's Poker in Elden Ring.
When properly levelled, it can be used on nearly every enemy in the game.
I'm not sure it's a grind, since it's a single enemy that you have to beat, but it can be challenging if you're just starting a new game.

Wolfhound fang (found very early in game) and Rivers of Blood say hello. No real need to grind for a weapon in Elden Ring

RickMasters

Outbreak perfected in destiny 2. It wasn’t so much a grind as it was a case of amazing game design for one perfect mission that would test all of my gaming skills to their limits….. and boy was it worth it…..as a weapon, it’s battle rifle that rewards a succession of presice headshots with an explosion and trails of manures that attach to nearby enemies…. Which I’ve already turned my aim towards and fill them with bullets. It’s a gun that rewards accuracy…… did I mention that it’s one of the best missions bungie has ever put in a game?….. gave me shades of halo 2 in all the best ways possible.

If play that mission again just to try it without dying. It was perfectly paced, intense. And you really had to be aware of your weapon energy types. Your squad all had to play their role and play but we’ll. that’s how you design a Co op mission. We was challenged…. We won…. We all got out real perfected…. And I fealt like a gaming god for leading my squad through it. Took me five attempts but once O figured out what we all needed to work with….. it was a breeze. I don’t grind it…. I simply put thought great game design with superior squad tactics and the right load outs.

It was so satisfying……. Dammit what happened to you, bungie?……

Soodanim

Gold Member
First thing that came to mind.

But they reduced the grind for the Zodiac Age version but added a massive luck element, you can get it much earlier in the game.
I haven't looked into this in a while, but IIRC they're both basically the same: a 1/10000 chance invisible chest. What have I missed?
Is there any other way besides popping Luck potions and repeatedly killing the Paralanthropus?
That's the Ring of Varda, the stat boosting accessory available after you get a "Clear" save.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
This one I got after I came back as a level 90. Stopped the grind when I switched to WoW then came back to get the rest solo and it was kind of closure for me and EQ.

tXsllSr.jpg

Reactions: Zug

Neff

0iijHo.jpg

More than just a grind for the weapon itself of course, you still need the sigils and reels to unlock its full power (meaning LOTS of Blitzball), but holy shit is it worth it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is anybody old enough to remember "Hagun" from early (not vanilla)FFXI? Samurai weapon that caused Samurai doing limit break at 100% do the damage as if you saved your limit break to 200%. Setting up macros to swap TP building gear to DPS gear and then performing Gekko or Kasha could one shot mobs meant for a full group to kill. Combine it with a sub job of thief for sneak attack/trick attack, just made it even more devastating. Getting it required a series of tasks and a climb up a mountain to spawn a specific fight that was very difficult. And the drop rate was low. I cant express how happy I was when I got that katana.

Zug

Already mentionned, but the cleric Epic weapon from Everquest was strategically needed for any raid force as it allowed for a much faster recovery after a wipe :
WME1d9s.png

My personal pick would be Val'anyr from WoW : favorite legendary weapon from my favorite raid zone (Ulduar) :
4S0uMNY.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I haven't looked into this in a while, but IIRC they're both basically the same: a 1/10000 chance invisible chest. What have I missed?

I am not sure if this method even works on the Xbox/Switch or PC versions, but this is the method I used on the PS4 version to get it way early in the game.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
From FFXI:

In the old days of FFXI, the shield Aegis was incredibly valuable and powerful. While all relic weapons were good, Aegis was a game changer for tanks as it allowed you to easily survive high level monsters that groups would have struggled with without it. Obtaining a relic weapon, in the old days, was an incredibly expensive and time intensive process that only very few people were able to do (I'm talking like 100 players across all servers at most). If you were to buy the gil to do the quest (which was against the game's ToS), it would have been the equivalent of thousands of dollars of real life money.

461433836edaf872a557845d99386803.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom