• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight loss surgery?

Okay guys, here’s the deal:

I have been overweight for most of my life and I am currently around the 316 lbs. mark. I’ve tried exercising, but it’s not really working out as good as I had hoped. I know it should be a last resort, but I am considering weight loss surgery around Christmas time. I am just not confident with myself and I don’t like who I see in the mirror. I want to be able to drop a significant amount of weight, but I don’t know if weight loss surgery is the right avenue for me. I could try harder with my exercising and try to diet, but I am just done with being fat. I want to be happy with who I am for once in my life and I think the surgery could give me the means to achieve that.

So, what do you guys think? Should I get it done? Have any of you had weight loss surgery or know someone who has? If so, do you have success and/or horror stories about what went right or wrong?

you can do the surgery if you like

but fat loss is the simplest shit on planet earth

exercise doesn't do jack shit for fat loss

you simply gotta deny yourself food

fasting will incinerate fat from your body and you don't have to do it every day, either

Last edited:

Orpheum

the 16/8 method worked wonders back when i had a little too much on me. I ignored breakfast, ate something small for lunch and ate a normal dinner 8 hours later. 16 hours after that, repeat. Also cut softdrinks and sugar in general, no candy/chips and other snacks allowed. Diet does a lot more than exercise but it requires a whole bunch of willpower. It's going to be tough at first but you'll get used to it. You can do it man!

bati

316 lbs is not the kind of weight that you couldn't reduce through diet and exercise alone, so I'd definitely try to avoid surgery for now.

Thing is, if you don't change your habits and lifestyle then you'll eventually get that weight back. Make a meal plan and stick to it. After a couple of weeks your body will adjust to it and the cravings will go away.

At your weight you can still sign up for the gym and perform most of the machine assisted exercises without issues. For cardio I recommend low impact exercises like bike, elliptical (make sure to ask what max load is, I'm not kidding) or rowing machine.

betrayal

Banned
Why don't you do a weight loss diet and start or continue living an active life style? What are the problems? What have you already tried?

While a surgery will help you with your weight, it can come at a cost, especially psychologically, because it will alter your eating habits drastically (check google if you mind) and as you probably know most of us love to eat food.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Get it done if you have to just don’t forget the consequences following it. Your eating habit must change, lots of adaptation needs to happen after the surgery and the most important thing is do you have the will to stay committed? If all what I mentioned you can handle then go ahead. If not, don’t waste your money because nothing will change.

Quasicat

you can do the surgery if you like

but fat loss is the simplest shit on planet earth

exercise doesn't do jack shit for fat loss

you simply gotta deny yourself food

fasting will incinerate fat from your body and you don't have to do it every day, either

This is how I’m doing it.
At the end of July, I hit 320lbs. Everything I’ve tried works, but you have to keep on it or the weight piles back on if you stop.
I researched intermittent fasting and thought I would try it starting August 1st. I gave myself a 4 hour window and lost a couple of pounds a week for a month. At the end of August, I was down to 298lbs. I was happy with this pace, but am now trying OMAD (one meal a day), and I’m down to 281lbs two weeks into September. I do treat Saturdays as a normal eating day, but I find that my stomach has shrunk enough that I don’t really overeat on cheat days.
The first few days really sucked, but now I don’t even miss breakfast or lunch. I’m even now having lunch with colleagues, but lunch for me is a bottled water.

Give it a shot OP, I wish you luck.

This is how I’m doing it.
At the end of July, I hit 320lbs. Everything I’ve tried works, but you have to keep on it or the weight piles back on if you stop.
I researched intermittent fasting and thought I would try it starting August 1st. I gave myself a 4 hour window and lost a couple of pounds a week for a month. At the end of August, I was down to 298lbs. I was happy with this pace, but am now trying OMAD (one meal a day), and I’m down to 281lbs two weeks into September. I do treat Saturdays as a normal eating day, but I find that my stomach has shrunk enough that I don’t really overeat on cheat days.
The first few days really sucked, but now I don’t even miss breakfast or lunch. I’m even now having lunch with colleagues, but lunch for me is a bottled water.

Give it a shot OP, I wish you luck.

Can you give me more details on how you did your intermittent fasting? I’d like to do it myself and get down to OMAD too. I don’t think I’m going to do the surgery. I honestly don’t eat a lot, but unfortunately due to my living situation I eat a lot of fast food. I drink a lot of soda too, so if I could kick that habit, I think my weight would go down a bit. I drink more than I eat, so yeah. Soda is my downfall big time. I have quit smoking more times than I have quit drinking soda.

Quasicat

I understand about the soda issue. At my peak, I was drinking four cans a day. When I went with OMAD, I only eat one hour a day. During that time, I am free to have a can of soda (not diet) for dinner. By the time I am done with my hour of eating, I am full and unable to drink anything but water. This is the trick, whenever I feel like drinking a soda during the day, I remind myself that I am not to have any calories until I get to my one hour eating window. I am now drinking four bottles of water at work which keeps me satisfied. I do not drink coffee, but I hear that coffee is also good at dropping the desire to eat throughout the day. My biggest problem, Was stopping off at fast food restaurants on my way home from work. This was the biggest adjustment for me, but I eventually got over it by finding alternate ways home. Even then, it took me a couple of weeks of not stopping off after work before I got use to it. I know it sounds like a fight with willpower, but you just have to tell yourself that if it’s not your window to eat, you do not eat. I have been on many roller coaster diets over the past 20 years, this one has the best results that I have ever seen and the best part is, I truly feel like that I can make this part of my lifestyle.

Dthomp

Can you give me more details on how you did your intermittent fasting? I’d like to do it myself and get down to OMAD too. I don’t think I’m going to do the surgery. I honestly don’t eat a lot, but unfortunately due to my living situation I eat a lot of fast food. I drink a lot of soda too, so if I could kick that habit, I think my weight would go down a bit. I drink more than I eat, so yeah. Soda is my downfall big time. I have quit smoking more times than I have quit drinking soda.

Have you tried Iced Teas to replace soda? I've struggled (and still struggle) with diet soda (T1 Diabetic) and while it's not the perfect replacement that water is, it did help with the small amounts of caffeine in teas. I've only been able to give up sodas 100% once and was off of them for around 6-7 months and fell off the wagon after getting violently sick and needed dat 7-up. I need to kick it again, but it's my one vice that I haven't been able to fully overcome

OP I know a guy who used to be around your weight, now he's not only fit but muscular as well. He underwent a draconian weight loss that boils down to eating as little as humanly possible. Are you willing to endure the pain of starving yourself? If so you will lose as much weight as you need. Exercising is not what brings results, letting your body eat itself by denying it food is the key. Admittedly such a commitment will test your psychological limits and it takes extraordinary mental fortitude to stick with it. I suggest you reconsider the surgery option and keep it as a last resort.

Last edited:
Have you tried Iced Teas to replace soda? I've struggled (and still struggle) with diet soda (T1 Diabetic) and while it's not the perfect replacement that water is, it did help with the small amounts of caffeine in teas. I've only been able to give up sodas 100% once and was off of them for around 6-7 months and fell off the wagon after getting violently sick and needed dat 7-up. I need to kick it again, but it's my one vice that I haven't been able to fully overcome

Doesn’t ice teas like Brisk still have a lot of the same calories that soda have or are you talking about a specific brand? Exercising hasn’t worked for me, so I am going to try eating a lot less. It’ll be stressful, but I can do it. I want to lose weight so badly that it’ll be worth it. The surgery will be a last resort. I don’t want to do that at all if I can avoid it, especially since I’m not like 400+ lbs. at this point. I am still relatively healthy, but I could be healthier. I will take the advice you guys are giving me and start applying it to my life ASAP. I want to make real changes to my lifestyle and slim down. Thanks to every single one of you. You guys are the best!

mekes

I’m going to say don’t do it, but it’s your own *personal* choice to make.

Physically you aren’t so big that you need to do it. If you do have it done, you’ll need to go through much more severe portion control than you would otherwise need to. Certain foods will make you sick. It is a huge change for you to adapt to.

Me personally, I would just experiment with diet change. Sign up free to a service like My Fitness Pal and spend some time there learning a few things. Get some friends there for moral support, finding a good friend or 2 can really help. It is a great source for those who have tried fad dieting, yo-yo-ing up and down with their weight.

Plus it’s worth knowing just how much 5 minutes of good exercise can do for you a day. Combine that with good amounts of fruit, veg and meat and you’d meet your goals without even needing to go hungry, ever. For a lot of people just switching out the sugar and trans fats for some good old fashioned food will make a giant change in their weight.

Good luck with whichever road you do take. It would be great if you do begin to do something about it if your current situation makes you feel down.

Dthomp

Doesn’t ice teas like Brisk still have a lot of the same calories that soda have or are you talking about a specific brand? Exercising hasn’t worked for me, so I am going to try eating a lot less. It’ll be stressful, but I can do it. I want to lose weight so badly that it’ll be worth it. The surgery will be a last resort. I don’t want to do that at all if I can avoid it, especially since I’m not like 400+ lbs. at this point. I am still relatively healthy, but I could be healthier. I will take the advice you guys are giving me and start applying it to my life ASAP. I want to make real changes to my lifestyle and slim down. Thanks to every single one of you. You guys are the best!

I wasn't fully thinking, I drink diet snapple, or the great value diet iced tea brands due to the diabetes, so 0 calories

BigBooper

Most people I've known that did the surgery or lap band type therapy just ate through the pain and gained most of it back 5-10 years later.

You have to make up your mind to eat better. Most estimates I've read say 70-80% of your calories are spent just on being alive, breathing, digesting food, blinking, heart pumping blood. That leaves in best case scenario 20-30% of your food to be burned by exercise. Exercise has little impact on weight loss for most people. You have to change your diet for life.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Okay guys, here’s the deal:

I have been overweight for most of my life and I am currently around the 316 lbs. mark. I’ve tried exercising, but it’s not really working out as good as I had hoped. I know it should be a last resort, but I am considering weight loss surgery around Christmas time. I am just not confident with myself and I don’t like who I see in the mirror. I want to be able to drop a significant amount of weight, but I don’t know if weight loss surgery is the right avenue for me. I could try harder with my exercising and try to diet, but I am just done with being fat. I want to be happy with who I am for once in my life and I think the surgery could give me the means to achieve that.

So, what do you guys think? Should I get it done? Have any of you had weight loss surgery or know someone who has? If so, do you have success and/or horror stories about what went right or wrong?
You should never have surgery unnecessarily.

If you can, I’d try this first:

- No snacking unless handful of raw almonds.

- Only wholesome, home cooked meals.

- Absolutely no potato chips, cookies, sodas or chocolate until you sustain the above.

- 30-60 minute brisk daily walk.

Do all that and you will lose weight. It’s not easy, but it’s not hard either.

Never go surgery unless there is no other choice.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Surgery doesn't address the #1 factor preventing you from reaching your goals: discipline.

With the surgery, you'll become physically incapable of eating the calories your body craves, for a time, yes, so you will lose weight, yes. Once your insides stretch back out you'll rebound and be back to square one.

Discipline will get you there without surgery, and discipline will keep you at your goal weight afterwards.

I went from 325 lbs to 170 lbs with disciplined nutrition and exercise alone. You can do it.

Surgery doesn't address the #1 factor preventing you from reaching your goals: discipline.

With the surgery, you'll become physically incapable of eating the calories your body craves, for a time, yes, so you will lose weight, yes. Once your insides stretch back out you'll rebound and be back to square one.

Discipline will get you there without surgery, and discipline will keep you at your goal weight afterwards.

I went from 325 lbs to 170 lbs with disciplined nutrition and exercise alone. You can do it.
I can do the disciplined nutrition for sure, but exercising has been tough on me. I have an exercise bike and I can do 30 minute sessions with it while listening to Thom Yorke's Anima. The thing is I just started and I don't feel a weight loss. How long did it take you to lose ~30 pounds?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can do the disciplined nutrition for sure, but exercising has been tough on me. I have an exercise bike and I can do 30 minute sessions with it while listening to Thom Yorke's Anima. The thing is I just started and I don't feel a weight loss. How long did it take you to lose ~30 pounds?

Why 30 minute sessions on repeat? You should be getting more capable after each session and proper rest. Add five minutes each session you do. You get the most cardiovascular benefit from 45+ minute sessions at target heart rate. 45-60 minutes is a good amount. Up the intensity each session once you're there, monitoring your heart rate to stay in the zone.

I targeted 20 lbs/month at first and then shifted to 10 lbs/month with heavy strength training to minimize my loose skin. That worked out well. I had a whole human to lose from my body, after all.

If you can stay on the bike longer, stay on the bike longer. Keep incremental progress going until you can do two full sessions in a day. Then you'll be going places.

Why 30 minute sessions on repeat? You should be getting more capable after each session and proper rest. Add five minutes each session you do. You get the most cardiovascular benefit from 45+ minute sessions at target heart rate. 45-60 minutes is a good amount. Up the intensity each session once you're there, monitoring your heart rate to stay in the zone.

I targeted 20 lbs/month at first and then shifted to 10 lbs/month with heavy strength training to minimize my loose skin. That worked out well. I had a whole human to lose from my body, after all.

If you can stay on the bike longer, stay on the bike longer. Keep incremental progress going until you can do two full sessions in a day. Then you'll be going places.
I was doing one 30 minute session a day, and I agree that I should increase it to 45 minutes atleast. I haven't exercised in years and my legs feel weak. But music helps a lot during my sessions. What should be the target heart rate since my bike can detect It when I put my hands on it? My BMI is above 25, I think it's 26/27 at the moment, but at the age of 27, I can let myself go and become obese.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was doing one 30 minute session a day, and I agree that I should increase it to 45 minutes atleast. I haven't exercised in years and my legs feel weak. But music helps a lot during my sessions. What should be the target heart rate since my bike can detect It when I put my hands on it? My BMI is above 25, I think it's 26/27 at the moment, but at the age of 27, I can let myself go and become obese.

220-age = max heart rate, so 193 is your estimated max.

70-80% max heart rate is your aerobic zone where your cardiovascular system will develop, so 135-154bpm.

Kenpachii

My tips:

1) Only drink water nothing else ever.
2) Only eat healthy food as much as u want.
3) Don't buy food you like to eat, buy food you don't like to eat or don't like even remotely at all ( prevents overeating big time )
4) When u do shopping for food, don't buy anything else but healthy food and only go buy stuff if you ate and are stuffed.
5) prepare all your own food.
6) Cheat day is a myth, never cheat day ever.
7) hold at every moment water with you, so u can sip on it all day long. ( get ready to piss a lot ). It's your junk food now.
8) create a goal ( sports that u wanna reech in a year or two or something ). So u have something to work for.

Now you get home.

Whenever u crave for soda or chocolate etc, congrats u got nothing so u can't cheat other then eating carrots or whatever u got on healthy food. And if u get hyper, its time for a run.

Now reprogram yourself mental by.

1) This is what's left of the world food supply, there is nothing else then this. Food shops no longer exists. They are all poison. U are deadly allergic in this new world towards all foods besides the shit u got. And u will eat all that garbage with happiness because u are still alive. Basically start to believe in some bullshit story u made up.

2) Never ever cheat. Party's? don't eat or buy a salad with the most disgusting piece of fish on it.

3) Start doing something else a hobby, u don't like something? good start doing it and see where it ends. Go on clubs or hobby's like fitness and do simplistic training as u will be out of energy at the start, but u will feel beast mode half a year in and super healthy.

6 months later.

U never took a shit so good, u never felt so energetic. U never had issue's standing up in the morning so easily, u never had it so easy to sleep all night long without issue's. I never felt so good basically in your life. Everything you eat will taste godly, even a simple thing like a carrot will have 300 flavors that u never tasted before in your life, and god u are craving that dam carrot at the end of the day.

U got the feeling u are in total control, and u can eat some stuff as u no longer really crave it and can control it.

WRONG

U will start eating again, get fat, get non social because fat etc etc etc. U did it before u will do it again, Thread it like alcoholisme because that's what it is times 10. It's a drug.

U NEVER CHEATED.

Good job bro, now ram another 3 years of that diet towards it. U gain some little bit of weight as your body starts to crave the healthy good a bit to much? time to shake things up and start to eat shit again u don't like.

Congratz, u now eat and love everything if you made it and your life has changed.

Losing weight = changing your mental life style. Your body will change with you all day long. It's a machine and nothing more.

Anyway i personally don't really believe in surgery. Because it doesn't adres the real issue behind you overeating. U will just find another way to abuse the system and push it forwards again.

However if you are mentally impacted by something that u can't move away from, see a therapist and start to count bunny's on a piece of paper. It's probably the reason u eat so much.

Anyway.

Good luck.

Edit my story:

I became overweight after pushing myself through university because of barely having to move. Eating like shit and personal issue's like family that was tearing me apart through sickness really took a toll on me.

I never was much of a sport person or cared much for it, never could drink water as it was disgusting in my view and didn't like healthy food because no sugar in it. It all taste like shit to me.

However at some point i needed to push a bit further and make changes which resulted me to.

drop the weight i gained over years in a matter of half a year, i did a full blown traithlon after 4 years of training and half a triathlon after 2 years of training.

That's 4km swimming, 180km biking, 40km running. ( full one ).

It's absolutely brutal to the point i trained around the 200km bike rides every other day in my free weeks i had. I drank at some point more then 10 liters of water 2-3 galon, because i was just consuming so god dam much sweat in the heat. And had to plan for "daylight' because the days just where not long enough for me biking outside.

Every day i felt like shit and didn't wanted to bike. That was my greatest day of progressing. Every day i felt like a god and wanted to push forwards it never went well. So whenever i don't want to do it. I know my body is ready to do just that. ( part mental also )

At some point i signed up for this mudmaster event, which was 20km through the mud ( basically militairy parcour ) it was the longest distance. I saw everybody half dead near the endline while i was just showering, picking up my stuff and walked to my car to realize i lost my keys.

Well how about that? no keys? No problem i just ran back 10 fucking kilometers to my house. Get my reserve keys and walked back.

However as the autist i am i did pushed a bit to far when is started to do 300km training and started to plan daylight as my limiting factor ( lol ). Stand up when day just starts, come home in the evening when the sun goes down ( biking mostly ).

It was so bad that i couldn't sleep anymore and was just sitting up whole nights because of it. ( yea lol train 12 hours can't sleep ). only thing i ate was shit like egg white to recover and salads with tuna and chicken with water. Next day came and 5 hours of fitness.

After horrible abuse of my body, i ended up crashing through a steer that snapped at 60km a hour downhill which ended up my skin being stripped of my arms, which put me down for half a year and that's where i sit at now. everything is recovered now tho to the point i am just being lazy.

In short.

U can do whatever u want, your body will follow. It's extremely adjustable piece of equipment that can make you a olympic sport or super obsessed and yet it still survives.

I did 12 hour training sessions outside in the ice cold rain with headwind for 6 hours and when i ate a fucking bag of chips at the end of the day i gained weight. And felt like shit the next day of training because for some reason body knows.

All that garbage is massive massive amounts of fat u shove into your throat. 30 minutes of biking does nothing else then warm up your muscles and start feeling alive.

U gotta train a god awful amount to burn shit food or drinks.

U should cut that shit out of your life directly and never even touch it. It's all kid food. See it like drugs.

Last edited:

I’d love to get to 170 lbs too. That would be a dream come true. You have inspired me, man. You’re right about the discipline thing. It’s going to come down to that if I’m going to make a change. Just so everyone knows, I have completely dropped the idea of surgery off the table. I’m going to lose the weight the right way and not resort to surgery as a temporary solution to a bigger problem.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’d love to get to 170 lbs too. That would be a dream come true. You have inspired me, man. You’re right about the discipline thing. It’s going to come down to that if I’m going to make a change. Just so everyone knows, I have completely dropped the idea of surgery off the table. I’m going to lose the weight the right way and not resort to surgery as a temporary solution to a bigger problem.

Good man. Let us know if you need any advice.

janicetr

Neo Member
the 16/8 method worked wonders back when i had a little too much on me. I ignored breakfast, ate something small for lunch and ate a normal dinner 8 hours later. 16 hours after that, repeat. Also cut softdrinks and sugar in general, no candy/chips and other snacks allowed. Diet does a lot more than exercise but it requires a whole bunch of willpower. It's going to be tough at first but you'll get used to it. You can do it man!
My choice is Alternate Day Fasting. For me it is easier to say "I will not eat today" than be vigilant on every meal not to eat too much.

Top Bottom