• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well folks, today I enter the world of retail work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of last night actually I get the honor (or nightmare) of being seasonal help for KB Toys. This should be a comedy of errors, as this is my second job after my 9-5 office job, and never working retail before.

So two jobs during the week, never working anything retail, AND during Christmas season. Should be fun. Hopefully the money I'm getting goes far, this is extra Xmas and Mid Ohio Comic Con cash is worth it.

So use this as a forum to retell your retail stories and disasters. I'd like to hear what I'm getting myself into.

I have a job interview with Toys R Us next week. Hopefully I get it. I've worked retail during holidays but I'ma ctually looking forward to getting a job at ToysRUs.

I remember the day after Christmas, I was trying to get into Target so I could clock in and man my station. But there was a group of at least 50 people around the door. I had to SHOVE my way through the crowd . People were bitching at me and I just yell "I WORK HERE!"

WHen the doors open people were briskly wakling, some parents told their kids to run, and grabbed whatever they were after. When they got back to the register, people took items they literally clotheslined off the shelves and sorted what they wanted and what they didn't want.

Most exhausting but shortest day ever. It was alot of fun. :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
jecclr2003 said:
As of last night actually I get the honor (or nightmare) of being seasonal help for KB Toys. This should be a comedy of errors, as this is my second job after my 9-5 office job, and never working retail before.

So two jobs during the week, never working anything retail, AND during Christmas season. Should be fun. Hopefully the money I'm getting goes far, this is extra Xmas and Mid Ohio Comic Con cash is worth it.

So use this as a forum to retell your retail stories and disasters. I'd like to hear what I'm getting myself into.

retail job during the season... you poor poor man...

Hammy, whats crazy for me will be the day after Turkey Day. I work my normal 9-5 then have to go to KB and work till close. Going to be crazy as I live and work in a massive shopping area with horrible traffic. Ugh.

Like I said I hope the moneys worth it.

My boss(office job) made a good point, though. I'm an action figure collector, so this job has the potential to cost me more than I make having first grabs at everthing. And FUCK MAN! 30% off everything!?! Sign me up!

As for the interview, mine was literally 5 minutes. They had their truck in and the DM, so short and sweet that I thought I didn't get it. Well they called me last night while playing San Andreas and didn't even say if I got it or not, they just asked if I could start this week. Talk about catching a guy off guard!

MAF: No worries I work for a deadline intensive business, so the KB madness will be tame compared to what I normally do.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dude, you must be kidding. I just finished my second interview with KB Toys. They said they'll call me back on Monday if my references check out. I would start on November 26th.

I did the same exact thing on the first interview. I got into a five minute conversation with the hiring manager about Transformers. :lol

Grizzlyjin said:
Dude, you must be kidding. I just finished my second interview with KB Toys. They said they'll call me back on Monday if my references check out. I would start on November 26th.

I did the same exact thing on the first interview. I got into a five minute conversation with the hiring manager about Transformers. :lol

November 26? The holiday season is about over. Are you regular staff or holiday help?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Teh Hamburglar said:
November 26? The holiday season is about over. Are you regular staff or holiday help?

Holiday help. I'll see if I'm right for retail, never done it before.

Ronabo

I'll give you some advice.

Painkillers.

They will make the days and nights go bye without incident.

Grizzly no joking, went in did the short interview on tuesday, they called my office yesterday to see if everything checked out and then last night they asked if I could work Thursday.

They've already got me scheduled for Thursday night and all day Saturday. So as of now all is well.

Although it's disheartening to know they are closing more stores, so while I'm gaining a job, many others are losing theirs.

If this turns out pretty well, I might ask to see if I could stay on part time indefinetly. I'm sure they could use a spare pair of hands that's willing to lift anything (and most likely can), and has weekends open. Need something to do while my wife works, besides masturbation.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i'm still looking to see if i can get OUT of toyrus before the holiday rush.

and it's looking more and more like i'll be stuck there =(

Grizzlyjin

jecclr2003 said:
Grizzly no joking, went in did the short interview on tuesday, they called my office yesterday to see if everything checked out and then last night they asked if I could work Thursday.

They've already got me scheduled for Thursday night and all day Saturday. So as of now all is well.

Although it's disheartening to know they are closing more stores, so while I'm gaining a job, many others are losing theirs.

If this turns out pretty well, I might ask to see if I could stay on part time indefinetly. I'm sure they could use a spare pair of hands that's willing to lift anything (and most likely can), and has weekends open. Need something to do while my wife works, besides masturbation.

Cool, the hiring manager here said that they would be hiring some people afrer the holidays, they'll be making that choice based on the holidays. I'm not getting my hopes up though, just thinking of it as some extra cash.

My second interview was yesterday, so they must be checking my references now. honestly I don't have that much experience, but a friend of the family is saying that I worked at his store over the summer. The hiring manager said that if he doesn't call me this week, to call him on Monday morning and check things out. Hopefully I'll be wearing those dorky yellow t-shirts soon. :lol

I've never had a stable retail job before, even this holiday thing would be a step up. I worked for the DNC for half of the summer, asking for donations and handing out stuff. Then moved on to Texas Community Project, where I talked to people about the situation in Central Texas...and asked for donations. Then I got hired for holiday help at Party Pig, they needed part-time people for this season. That job is over at the end of October, so I need to get something quick.

MoxManiac

I've had the fortunate (I say fortunate based on what i've heard, anyways) of haven't having to work true retail, but I do phones for L.L.Bean's order/CS line, and I expect to be working overtime once November/December run into gear...the holiday season is undoubtably crazy...

mrmyth

Retail at high-price toystore for the holidays? You should just go on out to the parking lot and shove your dick under a soccer mommie's minivan tire right now and get it overwith.

Grizzlyjin

mrmyth said:
Retail at high-price toystore for the holidays? You should just go on out to the parking lot and shove your dick under a soccer mommie's minivan tire right now and get it overwith.

Damn, that got me a little excited.

You really think it will be that bad? Party Pig was awesome cause I could just cry in the storage room for hours and not be bothered.

mrmyth

Grizzlyjin said:
Damn, that got me a little excited.

You really think it will be that bad? Party Pig was awesome cause I could just cry in the storage room for hours and not be bothered.

KB is the kind of store you go to last minute, when Target and Walmart don't have what you're looking for. The people that enter that joint are already pissed, and then they see the prices.

Grizzlyjin

Update: The manager just called me a few minutes ago. I got the job, and the best part is that I start on Monday. Yeah, it might be a crappy experience but I need the dough for my games. And I'm the type of the person that really needs some experience, so things should work out no matter what. Things won't get crazy in the store until the day after Thanksgiving anyway.

AniHawk

Good luck. KB Toys is among the last places I'd work retail (especially if it's in a mall).

I just started work at Gamestop yesterday. So far I've put in 9 hours, and made the store $500. I had basically no training since the managers are constantly on the phone, and there was no one around to show me what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom