• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are flaws in otherwise amazing games?

DelireMan7

I had to go searching because I had forgotten entirely, but I think it was Miracle Resonance.

It is not hidden any more than most of Dark Souls' mechanics. It is at least mentioned on the description of the ring you get get for joining the guild of Gwynevere. Regardless, the resonance is way too context sensitive and completely useless for an offline player.

Miracle resonance was not working for a long time in the original game. Then a patch fixed it. But yes it's not that useful (like a lot of stuff in the game) but add again the amazing online aspect to it.
Also a lot of mechanics of Dark Souls have the reputation to be mysterious but in fact several of them are "explained" (brief description but still) in the manual (Shame that they disappeared now...) like the Resonance ring (called Synergy), the whole humanity system and summoning, the kindling of fire that give estus to other player and even the extremely rare vagrants.

On topic and still on Dark Souls 1 : The Gravelord covenant. The fact that the dark phantoms appear only on NG+ make this covenant useless in NG. Nobody will touch you sign to invaded you since they have no incentive to do so. It's a shame because I love the concept of this covenant.

Trilobit

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - as a big fan of this series I actually have a list of complaints about this entry (I've still put almost 1500 hours into it, so it's not all bad), but the one thing about it that probably bugs me the most is the crafting nonsense. I usually just buy or trade for whatever items/craft materials I need from other players online just so I won't have to bother with it myself.

I wished that they would have skipped crafting and instead put that effort into more dialogue and unique requests from the Villagers. As it was now I got a feeling that AC for NDS had more variation in that department.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
In Back 4 Blood, I believe You can't push enemies anymore using your weapon. Unless there's a card that adds the function, you can only knife melee the zombies.

If anyone would confirm?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Skyward Sword, just too many hand holding aspects, game treats you like you're a complete moron at times. The lack of IR really hurts it too, the motion+ for aiming is complete trash compared to IR.

Resident Evil 4, too long. It's a great game (obviously) but all the mobs get to be a complete slog after a while. Zero puzzles too, and a lack of outright exploration prevent me from revisiting the game, I've played it the least out of all the mainline RE titles. I'll probably enjoy the remake more than the original.

Dead Space 3, gameplay wise it's fine but the tone and story, it's just so over the top and dumb dumb dumb. It's really amazing how badly EA screwed the trilogy with this game.

jigglet

Banned
Banjo Kazooie: not having an instant snap to center Z targeting. It was a slow rotation, and made fighting bosses that required accurate egg shooting insufferable.

xiseerht

I can't remember which Fantasy Fantasy game it is. But I think it is one of them with Lighting. And you have to play the game for like 40 hours or something crazy like that before it is really good and great.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Octopath Traveler - It’s too long. I understand there’s ways to exploit the system and completely break the game, but to play it all to completion the regular way takes way longer than the average JRPG.

Metroid (NES) - Passwords instead of a save function, and restarting with 30HP if you die is crazy. More people could enjoy it even today if not for this.

Demon’s Souls (PS3) - Tremendously obscure for the sake of it. A ton of stuff is almost impossible to figure out without help. Even the symbols for the character’s stats make no sense at all (little surprise that Dark Souls just called ’em with their proper names).

Banned
Isn't the audio messed up pretty badly on CXBX? I haven't looked in a while.

no, I played it on my old PC a few weeks ago just before I got my new one, and it ran pretty well. some of the UI elements were a bit glitched, but nothing important was wrong with it.

if they sort out the UI bugs it's basically perfect

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Gravity Rush 2

They switched the online servers off, I recently tried replaying this title and was throughly enjoying my time with it again right up until I got to the town, and realised all the additional activities such as time trials and photo sharing was gone forever.

The game is great but now it just feels hollow due to how the servers are gone... I really hope in a few years time maybe Sony will package both of the titles together and reinstall the functionality to the latter title for that launch.... but I just know deep down it will never happen.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Miracle resonance was not working for a long time in the original game. Then a patch fixed it. But yes it's not that useful (like a lot of stuff in the game) but add again the amazing online aspect to it.
Also a lot of mechanics of Dark Souls have the reputation to be mysterious but in fact several of them are "explained" (brief description but still) in the manual (Shame that they disappeared now...) like the Resonance ring (called Synergy), the whole humanity system and summoning, the kindling of fire that give estus to other player and even the extremely rare vagrants.

On topic and still on Dark Souls 1 : The Gravelord covenant. The fact that the dark phantoms appear only on NG+ make this covenant useless in NG. Nobody will touch you sign to invaded you since they have no incentive to do so. It's a shame because I love the concept of this covenant.
The Gravelord covenant is a great idea, but the no NG kills it except for a brand new game where you’re much more likely to see people on that run.

I use a mod to PTDE to enable permanent gravelord for the entire game, and it’s a nice bump in challenge/variety. Just don’t combine it with obscene aggro ranges, even the Undead Parish will scar you for life.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The first level in Halo CE is unbelievably boring. It was cool the first time 20 years ago, but I can never replay the game without slogging through that level and wishing it ends quickly.
Thank God it's followed by one of my favorite levels in any game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Metroid Dread doesn't have an easy mode completely ruins it
Apparently the default mode is easy because you unlock hard mode when you beat it. I flipped off the screen at that.

I agree the difficulty kind of ruins it. I made it through, but I would never play it again and was hesitant to come back just to play the last boss after I died a couple times.

Biggest complaint about Metroid Dread - Requiring QTEs. QTEs are shit. I never get them the first time because it goes to a different view after an intense few minutes so it's die, do it all over again, learn the stupid cutscene, execute QTE, get to second QTE, miss it, die, go through the whole thing again and finally finish. Devs think I want to play that again only with quicker timing, more damage to me and less from me? Fuck you assholes. Some of the items were also really hard to get. In a hard game, does it really make sense to make one of the hardest items to get an energy tank that gives you one more hit against a hard boss? Of course not. They are rewarding people who probably don't need it, and making the others try for 30 minutes to land the series of moves in 5s after executing the setup to get it.

My other recent gripe is Skyward Sword. The precision moves it requires don't work for me. I have a success rate of maybe 50% and I am sure they saw this in others for testing. Regardless they made boss battles where you had to do a series of these precise moves and repeat the series many times. It's the equivalent of requiring me to toss a coin and hit heads with 5 times in a row 10 times without dying. They could have put effort into making a controller version that wasn't what people were doing in Dolphin for years and have a pretty good game, but no, they needed to be lazy.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Jet Set Radio Future
Flaw: It's stuck on the Original Xbox (or the slow-running 360 emulator)

Try the OG xbox emulators (Cxbx Reloaded and Xemu) There was a lot of progress during the last year.

Back to topic

Salt and Santuary: I hate that the game does not have a map. If there is a way to mod one, it would be great, because its one of the best Souls likes out there.

Vice City is one of the best games I've ever played but has one of the smallest maps. It's pretty underwhelming but what is there is good, I just wish there was more of it.

San Andreas has the three cities and it's pretty dope.

Top Bottom