• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the best rom hacks?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Another honorable mention: the yearly community updates of Super Tecmo Bowl
Tecmo2023_rev0-2.png.a088975c590331ccf732a7fbae0f87eb.png
Tecmo2023_rev0-3.png.e2c7f5d1e2203b33004a42df0bba7586.png

It's still a better football game than Madden even in 2024, hands down. And you can get new rosters every year.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

:)

and some more too.

Mario is Missing Done Right (SMB3 styled SMW romhack where you play as Luigi on a quest to save Mario)

'the (one of the most infamous Mario romhacks, known for being an odd convoluted horror story)

stick mice in my head and then beat my head in with a hammer and let them back out (one of my favorite rom hacks of all time. I am being dead fucking serious. it's an extremely well made rom hack with great level design, tons of unique gameplay gimmicks/concepts, and amazing graphics even with ripped assets from other games. Real difficult, though. )

So 2 mice walk into a bar... (A sequel to the previous romhack, bigger and better, also creative and also just as ridiculously difficult.)

Super Mario Bros CD. (An upcoming romhack that sadly won't be out until october of next year- however it's an extremely promising and unique take on Mario, giving a "what if" scenario on if Mario released on a CD expansion for the NES. Great music and aesthetics in the demo.)

the Mario Romhacking scene is kind of disappointing since a lot of recent submissions focus more on being trial-and-error Kaizo stuff than anything more casual and fun for an average player. When you find a romhack with moderate difficulty, custom graphics and ASM gimmicks, it can be a blast and some of the best gaming you've had in a minute.

Top Bottom