• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite board/card games?

Argh, I wish I could find a reasonably mintish copy of Warhammer Quest. I miss that game.

Of course my wife would probably divorce me due to excessive nerdery. I tried to pull out Hero Quest on her one time and lemme tell ya. Eyebrows were raised.

FnordChan

iapetus said:
Robo Rally - By Richard Garfield, you say? What a shock...

Not only that, but the robots are designed by Phil Foglio! How great is that?

Meanwhile, The Big Idea is my personal favorite Cheap Ass Game. With the right group it's simply glorious. And, the best part of the game is adding your own cards to the mix; after every session you'll have an inevitable round of brainstorming new nouns and adjectives to throw in. "Hey, why isn't 'eldritch' in the game? Or 'forklift'?"

FnordChan

FnordChan

bjork said:
We used to play this card game that had a driving theme, but I forgot the name... the cards had stuff like "autobahn" or whatever, and iirc you got wrench cards and steering wheels... or some shit like that.

Mille Bornes.

millebornesbox.jpg

Classic!

FnordChan

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Helznicht said:
Warhammer Quest and Mordhiem. MMM. And if that is the actual setup you play on, you lucky SOB!

I wish. Although the setup we normally played with was pretty damn nice in its own right, and we did have a beautiful dungeon setup that we used for some multi-level Mordheim games.

Of course the best thing about Mordheim is that it allows you to play pirates vs ninjas - there's a pirate gang, and if you take the appropriate skills and equipment Skaven basically become ninjas.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
FnordChan said:
Meanwhile, The Big Idea is my personal favorite Cheap Ass Game. With the right group it's simply glorious. And, the best part of the game is adding your own cards to the mix; after every session you'll have an inevitable round of brainstorming new nouns and adjectives to throw in. "Hey, why isn't 'eldritch' in the game? Or 'forklift'?"

That game is awesome, as long as you haven't gone through all the obvious combinations yet. I guess it just needs a lot more cards for long term play, and I suppose it's pretty easy to make your own "sequel". I should dig that one out again. It's a great party game that even the "Cranium" type of gamer can get into.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dsal said:
That game is awesome, as long as you haven't gone through all the obvious combinations yet. I guess it just needs a lot more cards for long term play, and I suppose it's pretty easy to make your own "sequel". I should dig that one out again. It's a great party game that even the "Cranium" type of gamer can get into.

The semi-deluxe edition does have a lot more cards, and comes complete with blank ones for expanding the game. Besides, some of the best-selling products are the ones that don't use obvious combinations. Far more fun to make a pitch for a product that's absolutely unsellable than an automatic winner like portable beer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
no mention of heroscape in here?

really the best "board" game I've seen come out in a while, even though it is essentially just a pared down minatures game. tilesets are also awesome to use with other miniature games.

besides that, I like the collectible miniatures games even though I don't colelct them (too expensive). But I'll usually pick up a starter set to play. Had some nice games of Heroclix and Mage Knight.. The two constructable card games (Pirates and Rocketmen) are cool also. Never played any of the TSR stuff....

err I mean WotC.

I recently picked up Manila and Shadows over Camelot. Manila is a gambling game with an economic component and Shadows is a cooperative game with a traitor element. Both rock!

As far as card games are concerned Coloretto, Brawl, Boomtown are all awesome. Boardgame wise... Exxtra, Big City and Formula De are also awesome. Head over to the boardgamegeek.com for better descriptions than I can provide of these games.

Top Bottom