• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite GBA games?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I missed out on most of the good games for this console and I would like to know some of the better games for the GBA. I know the obvious ones like the Minish Cap and 4 Swords. So what are some of your favorite GBA Games?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Search. Search. Search.

It's your friend.

Ours too. :/

Translation: We've done this thread a billion times.

Emotions

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Platformers
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
Kirby Platformers
Metroid Zero & Fusion
Megaman Zero
Riviera
Pokemon Emerald
FF Ports
Castlevanias
F-Zeros
Fire Emblem Both of them
Advance Wars both
Golden Sun Lost Age
This is a good starter list...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
Search. Search. Search.

It's your friend.

Ours too. :/

Translation: We've done this thread a billion times.

Yes, but something new always gets mentioned. Sorry if the new thread bothers you :(

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The Fire Emblems. Stop reading and go buy them. You can thank me when you get back.

The Advance Wars games come in a close second.

Tarazet

Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis: Power Tour, and Wario Ware: Mega Micro Game$ are my desert island picks.

AniHawk

Fire Emblem
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Metroid Fusion
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Metroid Zero Mission
Pokemon Ruby

ethelred

Mother 3, Riviera: The Promised Land, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Megaman Zero games ( 3 and 4 at least) are the best 2d action games I played in a loooooooooong time.

both Fire Emblems are great and Castlevania CoTM and AoS are also incredible games the GBA library seriously kicks ass.

Golden Sun
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Mega/Rockman Zero 1-4
Warioware Inc.
Warioware Twisted
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission

There's a lot more. It really does have a suprisingly large amount of good games.

PolyGone

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
*glances at shelf*

I enjoyed Mario Kart: Super Circuit and the two Metroid games... That's about it.

didn't play many gba games, didja?

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Gunstar Super Heroes
Wario Land 4
Wario Ware
Zelda LTTP
Zelda Minish Cap
Boktai
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
FF IV Adv
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
FF Tactics Advance

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any of the Mario ports
Zelda: The Minish Cap
Gunstar Super Heroes
Advance Guardian Heroes (**** the haters!!!)
Ninja Five-O
Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones
Advance Wars 1 and 2
Phantasy Star Collection (though its a heinous port, the source material contains 2 of the best games ever)
Mario vs DK
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story
CIMA: The Enemy
FF4 Advance (see my description of Phantasy Star Collection - bad port, great source material)
Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Circle of the Moon
The Mega Man Zero games look awesome but I haven't played yet. FF5 and 6 are coming out and hopefully the ports fare better than FF4.

Gunstar Future Heroes, Iridion 2

Maybe: Yoshi Universal Gravitation, Mario vs Donkey Kong
Not: Zelda Minish Cap, Fire Emblem

Dalauz

Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion (kill APPs)
CV: Aria of Sorrow (Kill APP) and Circle of the Moon
Megaman Battle Network 1 (or any number, but just 1 lol)
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Megaman: Zero 3
WarioWare
Sonic Battle (Kill APP)
Medabots (yes, dont ask or im gonna delete this, but i swear is a great game)
Double Dragon Advance
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (Kill APP)
SD Gundam Generations Advance
Rhythm Tengoku
Mario vs DK
Zelda minish cap

1. Mother 3
2. Advance Wars
3. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Rhythm Tengoku
5. Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
6. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
7. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
8. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
9. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
10. WarioWare: Twisted!
11. Drill Dozer

Jiggy

Descending order, * = must-buy:

-Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green - Awesome, awesome, but will be rendered obsolete to some degree by D/P. Becomes a must-buy in the context of new entrants to the series, though, since the original quest, music, and Pokemon are all still the best.

-Pokemon Emerald* - Though the "main quest" isn't as good as FR/LG's, this gets must-buy billing because the Battle Frontier gives it longevity that might just last even after D/P.

-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Still the best Zelda IMO; the balance of exploration and dungeons, the balance of fighting and puzzles, the music, and the diversity of the item set are what make it. Doesn't get the *, though, because it's not a must-buy unless you don't own it on SNES, or happen to know other people who bought this GBA game and own link cable(s) and will play multiplayer with you.

-Yoshi's Island* - Outperforms its SNES version thanks to six more levels, which is saying a lot since YI is the best platformer ever made.

-Advance Wars 2* - In spite of AWDS being out, AW2 continues holding two advantages over its sequel, one small and one big: a non-isometric view, and a better campaign.

-Mario Tennis Power Tour* - Enormously underrated. I didn't even like tennis until I played this, but MTPT is one of those rare games that's successful on every level of its gameplay and in every aspect of its production.

-Fire Emblem* - It's Fire Emblem.

-Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Would get a * if Kirby Squeak Squad wasn't coming and wasn't probably going to be even better.

-Metroid Zero Mission - Very close to a must-buy, but falls short on the basis that its length balance is off--it's too short to play at home since you can beat it in one sitting, but too long to play as a real portable game unless you fly a lot, or commute for two hours on a train or bus.

-Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - A notch below its predecessor due to the music, characters, and story, but still great. If you can't find FE7, nothing wrong with this at all.

-Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - A great strategy game, though not a necessity since FFT (PS1) can fill that role moderately enough--and it's not like you'll ever find a copy of this anyway. But hey, Luminous Arc is coming on DS, right?

-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - Very good gameplay, though irrelevant in the face of Dawn of Sorrow and (probably) Portrait of Ruin.

Edit: My comments are assuming that most people who would click on a GBA thread in a hardcore Internet gaming forum own a DS. If not, then sure, bump Castlevania and Kirby into the must-have category.

P90

Emotions said:
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Platformers
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
Kirby Platformers
Metroid Zero & Fusion
Megaman Zero
Riviera
Pokemon Emerald
FF Ports
Castlevanias
F-Zeros
Fire Emblem Both of them
Advance Wars both
Golden Sun Lost Age
This is a good starter list...

QFT

AniHawk said:
Fire Emblem
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Metroid Fusion
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Metroid Zero Mission
Pokemon Ruby

Where the WarioWare at? :p Really though, no M&L?

Anyways, my picks:

Metroid: Zero Mission and Fusion
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Warioware original and Twisted
Castlevania Double Pack (mainly for Aria of Sorrow)
Fire Emblem (original and Sacred Stones)
Advance Wars 1+2
Tactics Ogre: the Knight of Lodis (if you can find it)
Zelda: the Minish Cap
Golden Sun 1 & 2
Megaman Zero series (if you're up for a hardcore challenge)
Boktai: the Sun is in Your Hand
Ninja Five-O
Mario Golf: Advance Tour (still haven't played my copy, but it's supposed to be golden)

Still more stuff, though some of it is remakes/ports of older games, and I'm not sure if you'd be up for that.

Tarazet

-Mario Tennis Power Tour* - Enormously underrated. I didn't even like tennis until I played this, but MTPT is one of those rare games that's successful on every level of its gameplay and in every aspect of its production.

Agree 100%. It really shows its best to you when you turn the power-shots off and play a long exhibition match with the AI on the highest setting - it doesn't look much like the tennis you see on TV, because it's almost impossible to fault or put a shot out of bounds, but it takes a lot of concentration to outsmart the computer.

Top Bottom