• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite mobile games? (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)

Draxal

Granblue wins for me.

1. The art is very internally consistent, Hideo Minaba and team is great.
2. There's always something to do, It can be daunting to newbies.
3. Pretty generous with gacha compared to other games (except the recent draught of sup tickets).

I like very few mobile games, but there are a handful of great ones:

1) Monument Valley 1/2. The second one especially is just super excellent
2) Threes. Simple but deep. Just when I think I'm done I get sucked back in...
3) Mario Run. A solid Nintendo game through and through. I'd rank it above the DS and 3DS NSMB entries (though below the home console iterations).
4) Super Hexagon

Lebneney

Banned
Okay so yesterday I downloaded Letter Quest and boy is that game really good. If you like word games, then you should try this out. It's free and in my opinion it is worth the download.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions by the way. I'm definitely going to check a number of them out.

Deeda

My favourite mobile game is without a doubt Monster Super League. I've been playing every single day since it's release almost a year ago.
screen406x722.jpeg

Extremely cute monsters and humanoid monsters, fun competitive gameplay, lots of new content and monsters added frequently. I love it!

Kent

I really liked Crimson Dragon Side Story on Windows Phone. I liked it better than the proper Xbox One game.
Crimson-Dragon-Side-Story-007.png

This and DoDonPachi Maximum are two of the better Windows Phone games out there - even though Crimson Dragon Side Story has some weirdness with things like scoring and balance issues (and the feature to track your travel distance to give you more money doesn't work any more). DoDonPachi Maximum had quite a glorious return after it wasn't compatible with Windows Phone 8 for so long, but then suddenly works again on Windows 10 Mobile.

There are others, in other genres, that are pretty good - like the Hitman/Lara Croft/Deus Ex Go games, and Halo: Spartan Assault/Strike and Skulls of the Shogun.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Vainglory was great but it got slow and choppy so I put my big boy shoes on and started LoL

I have installed/deleted/installed Star Realms more times than I can count. It's a really good digital adaptation of a really good tabletop deckbuilding game. I find it so addicting that I just end up deleting it because it takes over my life so much, then a month goes by and I get the urge to play it again and the cycle begins anew.

It's on ios, android, and desktop. Any purchases, progress, online play, etc. sync across all platforms, which is nice. It has solid async and real time multiplayer support as well).

i own this but couldnt really getinto it

i really need to give it another shot

I like Plants vs Zombies and Infinity Blade on iOS. Kairosoft games like Game Dev story are cool too.

I really liked Crimson Dragon Side Story on Windows Phone. I liked it better than the proper Xbox One game.
Crimson-Dragon-Side-Story-007.png

looks dope - guess it never came to iOS?

Cryxok

As a game, I really like Fire Emblem Heroes. It manages to capture what make the mainline games so fun despite it's mobile nature and has a surprising amount of depth and customization.

It also pays a good homage to the mainline series, with most characters mirroring their strenghts and weaknesses from the original games while having little nods in ther dialogue. I have been playing it non-stop since release and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

HOWEVER

As a gacha ecosystem I believe it is inherently flawed and can get really frustrating at times. Orbs (your only summoning currency) are always in finite quantities to the point sometimes you really have no reason to play because you can't get more orbs, other currencies are either hard to get or pretty much useless; and because of Hero Merging and IVs, whales are on a league of their own above any f2p player. Good thing there is no pvp in it... yet.

It has improved with the recent patches but I think it's still way behind other gachas in that regard. I find it the most fun and rewarding tho, which is the most important thing for me in a game.

Some of my favorite pick-up-and-play mobile games:

Card Crawl
Card Thief
Solitairica
Leap Day
Downwell
Missileman
Warbits
Blitz Breaker
Desert Golfing
Imbroglio
Five Card Quest

openrob

That was some good luck that you picked such a great game as an introduction. I think a lot of people just browse the top grossing or most downloaded charts, play some shitty games, and just dismiss mobile after that. You got a good first impression

You on a phone or iPad? That'll be important for choosing recommendations

Haha lucky me I guess! I am using an Android phone at the moment. I like games that give me a sense of progression (tower defence games, etc don't seem as fun to me)

Paradise Bay!!!

QfZp2gx.gif

source.gif

lBzfhNN.gif

I have almost 30 pets I've collected, and they are all pretty awesome little critters. Right now I'm working on earning a dolphin! Tradefest just started, now a good a time as any to join in on the fun. Beautiful game.

Skyforce Reloaded!

skyforcegif.gif

Dumped a TON of hours into this one, amazing graphics for mobile and just plain awesome. I changed the controls in the settings menu which helped out a lot. Still haven't beaten this game, but I'm close.

Sword of Xolan!!

screen520x924.jpeg

If your a fan of classic arcade Rastan, or ghouls n ghosts on Snes you'll love this one! Controls great for a mobile game!

PinOut

pinout.gif

Not only a great pinball game, that really works perfectly for mobile....but the soundtrack is Amazing!! It's available on Spotify if your into techno style tunes!

cuilan

I got my first smartphone a little over a year ago, and since then there have been 3 games that have never left my phone:

Terra Battle
Clash Royale
Soccer Spirits

Other games I've spent a good amount of time on:

Phantom of the Kill
Love Live!
WoT Blitz
Hearthstone
Mobius Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

Games I've gotten in to relatively recently:

Shadowverse
Valkyrie Connect
Fire Emblem Heroes

Games I had but eventually deleted, and probably won't bother re-downloading:

Puzzle & Dragons
Super Mario Run
Tales of Link
Monster Strike
Sailor Moon Drops
VOEZ
Deemo
Destroy Gunners
Digimon Heroes
Pac Man
Sonic Dash
Brave Frontier

Geodefense and Geodefense Swarm are both awesome. I loved them on my first Lumia phone a couple of years ago. These days mobile games don't really interest me. Pokemon Go was fun but the games drain my battery way to fast.

As a game, I really like Fire Emblem Heroes. It manages to capture what make the mainline games so fun despite it's mobile nature and has a surprising amount of depth and customization.

It also pays a good homage to the mainline series, with most characters mirroring their strenghts and weaknesses from the original games while having little nods in ther dialogue. I have been playing it non-stop since release and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

HOWEVER

As a gacha ecosystem I believe it is inherently flawed and can get really frustrating at times. Orbs (your only summoning currency) are always in finite quantities to the point sometimes you really have no reason to play because you can't get more orbs, other currencies are either hard to get or pretty much useless; and because of Hero Merging and IVs, whales are on a league of their own above any f2p player. Good thing there is no pvp in it... yet.

It has improved with the recent patches but I think it's still way behind other gachas in that regard. I find it the most fun and rewarding tho, which is the most important thing for me in a game.
Not sure what you are saying since FE heros have been giving off like free since it launched lol. It's a really great game even if you don't invest a lot of time in it. So much content after the recent update too.

The Groovecoaster games, personally. I have my earbuds with me wherever I have my phone with me, so getting to play a pretty simple and straightforward game to decent electronic music goes a long way for me. :)

duckroll

This thread made me grab Duet and Sword of Xolan so far. Always happy to make new discoveries in threads like this. :D

Thanks for the tips! Do you think I'd be missing a lot if I just start with the sequel tho? The Matsuno content for example, and some sequels tend to pare back content big time.

Sakaguchi plans for Terra Battle games to be like Final Fantasy. So each one has its own story and you won't be missing anything. As for the Matsuno event... it hasn't actually arrived yet. The Yoko Taro one is running right now, and we're expecting Matsuno later this year.

We have been expecting Matsuno for 2 years now.

sohois

Hoplite is a neat turn based roguelike. It's free without any annoying microtransactions, you can just pay once to unlock some more features. Graphics are simple but the core game is great so you'll hardly notice.

Polytopia is a Civ clone. It works well on mobile and captures the one more turn essence of the genre. Still lacking a bit of depth but I understand it's being continually updated so hopefully more to come. Free, with the option to buy more civilizations

Xcom enemy unknown is a good port. Fully featured and controls well.

This War of Mine is another good option that's also available for PCs. It was designed for tablets originally so works well with touch controls. Real interesting idea.

Attack the Light is a Mario RPG esque game based on the Steven Universe cartoon. Even if you don't care about the show, it's still a great battle system with real.slick presentation

valouris

If you enjoy Kingdom Rush games, definitely try Realm Defense.

Basically it is a blatant rip off of Kingdom Rush, but it also has three different worlds with different towers, it has controllable heroes, and:

1) It is free to play
2) You can unlock everything without paying
3) There are daily maps/challenges to try
4) There are endless modes to get better at

The paying part is about buying items or heroes, but it is really not necessary if you know how to play the game. I managed to get all worlds unlocked just by playing the game and doing the daily quests, without grinding. Just dont use your gems on anything else, and keep them to buy the heroes needed for the challenges and for the third world.

I really really recommend it. It is basically Kingdom Rush on steroids. For free.

TwiztidElf

I only have a ipad2, so I can't really play much new these days, but lately I've been playing a crapload the ios adaption of the co-op boardgame Forbidden Island. Absolutely love it. Awesome stuff.

Also a shoutout to two 'shitty' ios games I've spent some time on lately:
Roll the Ball - slide puzzle game
Picture Cross - worlds biggest Picross puzzle (I'm a sucker for Picross).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hitman GO

Lara Croft GO

Rayman Jungle Run

Steven Universe: Attack the Light

The Room 1-3

Monument Valley

Yado

My favourite mobile game is without a doubt Monster Super League. I've been playing every single day since it's release almost a year ago.
screen406x722.jpeg

Extremely cute monsters and humanoid monsters, fun competitive gameplay, lots of new content and monsters added frequently. I love it!

I couldn't handle the constant farming events.

Fonds

Been really enjoying Card Thief and Card Crawl by Arnold Rauers lately.
Really solid Solitaire style (run out the deck) card game with simple gameplay and quick enough to give that one-more-go feeling.

Another one I have always enjoyed is Lyne by Thomas Bowker. A puzzle game of joining the dots with a lovely difficulty curve and a whole bunch of content.

Have you tried Mystery Merchant yet? Same dev, thinking of getting it.

I play a lot of Terra Battle. Solitarica is a really fun solitaire RPG, but it's pretty short.

I'm still really fucking salty that Transistor isn't out on Android

dadjumper

I really like Mini Metro on a tablet. Plays great on there. Also liked Ridiculous Fishing, Adventure Capitalist, Terra Battle and Puzzle & Dragons.
I don't play a lot of mobile games.

R00bot

Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic is an amazing trip down memory lane.
It sacrifices absolutely nothing in being a mobile title.

naib

Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic is an amazing trip down memory lane.
It sacrifices absolutely nothing in being a mobile title.
I had no idea this was a thing.

I don't know why I ever enter these threads.

I'm now a few dollars poorer. Desert Golf and RCTC, so far..

Top Bottom