• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think about PC Magazine's recommended system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
.. and which parts would you downgrade if you needed to cut costs somewhere?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-53

Motherboard: Asus SK8V

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce 6800 FX Ultra

Case: Koolance PC2-650BK

Power Supply: Antec TrueControl 550

CPU Cooler: Koolance CPU-300-H06 with Athlon64 Kit

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD740 (2 in RAID 0)

Optical Drive: Sony DRU-530A DVD+RW/-RW Drive

Audio Card: Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platimum

Memory: 512MB Corsair XMS3200 (2)

element

id personally get a x800 for that price

but id also wait a couple months until the PCI-E mobos come out.

Mashing

I think it would be a mistake to plop down money for a first generation PCI-E mobo... there's bounds to be growing pains

I'd prefer an ATI card, but this gen is much closer than last. If the MB is PCI-E, only ATI has a "true" PCI-E card.

The box definitely, definitely needs 1GB of RAM. There's no excuse to just have 512MB. (Edit.: Oops. Missed that (2))

I'd probably kick the CPU down to an A64 3400+ to save some big bucks.

Slo

If you want to cut costs, go with an Athlon 64 3200+ and a straight up X800 (not Pro) card. Also, you likely don't need 2 hard drives running in raid. Go get a 120-160 gb hard drive for around $110.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-53

I'd swap this out with a regular Athlon 64. FX cost a lot more money and I'm not sure the boost is worth it.

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce 6800 FX Ultra

Pretty hard to find right now and I'm not too keen on it taking two slots. I'd probably go with a X800 Pro instead.

Optical Drive: Sony DRU-530A DVD+RW/-RW Drive

I'd definitely look into replacing this. A DL NEC drive can be had for much much less and it's probably compatible with more media than the sony.

This is the kind of PC I want to build. I asked for some PC building/upgrading advice about a month or more ago and I think the general concensus was to wait for PCI-Express. I haven't built a new PC yet but I'm starting to think that wasn't such great advice. The new boards probably won't be solid for a while and I'm sure there will be driver issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom