• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Sony expect from Gran Turismo (movie)

So if you remove most of the Fast and Furious movies since they've largely become more about heists than the car racing it paints a pretty clear picture of expectations.

Talladega Nights did 148 million domestic, 163 worldwide (comedy driven mainly by the appeal of Will Farrell)
Ford v Ferrari did 117 million domestic, 225 worldwide (big budget movie with Matt Damon and Christian Bale) budget was 97.6 million

Speed Racer did 44 million domestic, 93 worldwide
Need for Speed did 44 million domestic, 203 worldwide
Driven did 32 million domestic, 54 worldwide
Rush did 27 million domestic, 96 worldwide

We don't have budget information on this yet, but I'm going to guess it's something along the lines of 50-70 million, meaning that total costs would be somewhere north of 100-140 million, so the goal for the movie is probably going to want to match Need for Speeds 200 million worldwide. David Harbour, Orlando Bloom, and Djimon Honsou won't have cost much. It seems like the cars they are going with are probably entirely sponsored and the key scenes are limited to race tracks, so the stunt work and effects won't be over the top.

I think we'll probably also see a major ad blitz for Gran Turismo 7 and VR this summer, the game is already showing some legs probably likely to VR and some recent updates.

Skifi28

5gAClO3.gif

It's also worth noting that the trailer is getting extremely good reception. 10 million views, 125K ikes, only 9.1K dislikes. The closest thing to compare it to would be the Ford v Ferrari trailer which currently sits at 11 million views, 122K likes, only 4.2K dislikes.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I love racing, I love racing games, I think Janns' story is actually interesting......but I aint going to the cinema to watch this.
The next trailer would have to show me some of the "action" scenes to convince me to go.

And all my non real world racing fans are quite perplexed by what this movie is....I have to explain to them, its a real story about a GT Academy racer who ends up being a real race car driver, hes still racing today....doesnt have a super license but still hes a full on race car driver now.

I think trailer 2 needs to sell the movie better, then maybe we can start counting the millions in 100s

I love racing, I love racing games, I think Janns' story is actually interesting......but I aint going to the cinema to watch this.
The next trailer would have to show me some of the "action" scenes to convince me to go.

And all my non real world racing fans are quite perplexed by what this movie is....I have to explain to them, its a real story about a GT Academy racer who ends up being a real race car driver, hes still racing today....doesnt have a super license but still hes a full on race car driver now.

I think trailer 2 needs to sell the movie better, then maybe we can start counting the millions in 100s

Perplexed how? The trailer is pretty clear in fact it probably shows too much.

skit_data

Since it’s based on a true story I don’t really think their targer audience will be the same as Fast & Furious are targeting

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well, Ford v Ferrari made $225.5 million. Sony would be very happy if GT does similar numbers.

As for benefits, Sony will sell:
  • Movie tickets
  • PS5
  • GT 7 copies
  • PS VR 2
  • And then once the users are in the ecosystem, other games as well.
Even if the movie is only reasonably okay, it'll likely be a profitable venture for Sony.

nowhat

What do they expect? $. And also $$$. By all accounts the Uncharted movie was a massive turd, and still made $400M.

AGRacing

A little light jazz piano. Espresso. A secluded cafe and a Japanese man talking your ear off about the Nissan Fairlady for 2 hours.

Going to be a huge hit.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, Ford v Ferrari made $225.5 million. Sony would be very happy if GT does similar numbers.

As for benefits, Sony will sell:
  • Movie tickets
  • PS5
  • GT 7 copies
  • PS VR 2
  • And then once the users are in the ecosystem, other games as well.
Even if the movie is only reasonably okay, it'll likely be a profitable venture for Sony.
Yea, I think that this is clearly what Sony is going for. Ford vs. Ferrari is the right comp.

The GT movie looks great, honestly.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Perplexed how? The trailer is pretty clear in fact it probably shows too much.
What kind of movie its supposed to be.
Its a movie about a guy who plays Gran Turismo 5?
So the first act is him literally sitting in his room playing videogames and fighting with his father about playing videogames?
Second Act he gets to and wins GT Academy?
Third Act he gets to actually drive a real race car?

The entire first act sounds like shit.
The second act sounds like some teen drama bullshit with his GT Academy rival being a bully.
The third act actually seems to be where the meat of the movie is, when we actually get to see race cars racing and his big crash.....im guessing the movie will end in 2016 when he got his best Super GT result for Nissan (who seem to be sponsoring this movie).

Or the movie could be like Rush....which is basically an action movie through and through with some quips and drama interspliced.

Yea, I think that this is clearly what Sony is going for. Ford vs. Ferrari is the right comp.

The GT movie looks great, honestly.

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007

I think Ford v Ferrari is a bit lofty. Much higher budget, more star power. Almost certainly a better movie, award buzz e.t.c. This might be hitting a larger cross section but I would be surprised if it does 200 million worldwide.

AmuroChan

I think the boxoffice numbers are secondary to Sony's ultimate goal, which is to use other mediums to build up the PlayStation brand. Sony is trying to position PlayStation as the prestige gaming brand. It's probably more important to them that the movie is well received, and if it turns a profit as well, that's icing on the cake.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So if you remove most of the Fast and Furious movies since they've largely become more about heists than the car racing it paints a pretty clear picture of expectations.

Talladega Nights did 148 million domestic, 163 worldwide (comedy driven mainly by the appeal of Will Farrell)
Ford v Ferrari did 117 million domestic, 225 worldwide (big budget movie with Matt Damon and Christian Bale) budget was 97.6 million

Speed Racer did 44 million domestic, 93 worldwide
Need for Speed did 44 million domestic, 203 worldwide
Driven did 32 million domestic, 54 worldwide
Rush did 27 million domestic, 96 worldwide

We don't have budget information on this yet, but I'm going to guess it's something along the lines of 50-70 million, meaning that total costs would be somewhere north of 100-140 million, so the goal for the movie is probably going to want to match Need for Speeds 200 million worldwide. David Harbour, Orlando Bloom, and Djimon Honsou won't have cost much. It seems like the cars they are going with are probably entirely sponsored and the key scenes are limited to race tracks, so the stunt work and effects won't be over the top.

I think we'll probably also see a major ad blitz for Gran Turismo 7 and VR this summer, the game is already showing some legs probably likely to VR and some recent updates.

They just need to make it a movie where you're rooting for the underdog. And probably kill someone in a wreck.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The movie industry is absolutely fucking dwarfed by the video games industry.

Sony want this movie to be a promotional tool for the Gran Turismo game... and that's exactly what they'll get.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007

I think Ford v Ferrari is a bit lofty. Much higher budget, more star power. Almost certainly a better movie, award buzz e.t.c. This might be hitting a larger cross section but I would be surprised if it does 200 million worldwide.
Ford vs. Ferrari is a good movie and basically the ultimate boomer dad flick. But I think that GT touches on a lot of the same themes and ultimately has fast sexy cars, Gran Turismo is absolutely iconic for an entire generation and the zoomer hero with broccoli head will appeal to younger people.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If it doesn't beat Mario then it is a complete failure!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
They are not in the business of out-movietheatering nintendo, there isn't really a solution or win for them, and making great movies is not gonna change that, even if gran turismo is a 11 out of 10, people are not gonna throw their amiibos in the trash.

(you fuckers better give me at least 20 smile reactions for this one)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Last of us show’s success kinda helps out, the level of excitement for the Gran Turismo movie is through the roof.

Top Bottom