• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gender avatar do you typically choose?

When games give you a choice, what gender do you usually pick?

• Always male.

Votes: 95 28.2%
  • Majority male.

Votes: 72 21.4%
  • Around 50/50 male to female.

Votes: 65 19.3%
  • Majority female.

Votes: 77 22.8%
  • Always female.

Votes: 28 8.3%

• Total voters

Elginer

I choose female nearly 100% of the time where possible, especially when there are character creation tools. Fighting games are a completely mixed bag, as I'll just choose whoever has a fun play style. It usually doesn't bother me too much if story-heavy games don't have a female option.

What DOES bother me, though...is when the male options are attractive, and the female options are seemingly purposefully super plain, strange looking, or actually ugly.

Case in point:

mass-effect-andromeda-face-mod-e1487543857837.jpg

I'm sure Jayde Rossi had to be upset with this. :lollipop_tongue:
Goddamn they straight up murdered that woman.

Always male.

Or, as it is known these days, "Body Type A" 😂
I'm pretty sure in Demons's Souls remake it's Body Type B. Take that, male privilege!

My answer here is obvious. Honestly, us guys are surely best placed to appreciate the female form... I think it's actually more hetero than having a male avatar. And it only gives me gender dysphoria about 50% of the time that I'm online which seems like a fair tradeoff tbqh

Last edited:

D-ray

If the game gives you a gender choice to customize your character, then I go with male. If the game has different male and female characters, I usually play the one that I enjoy more in terms of gameplay and/or design, so it might be both.

If I’m going to be looking at a character on screen for anywhere between 20-30 hours, I’d prefer it to be a nice looking woman than a dude bro with a beard.

Top Bottom