• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What I would love... (Syphon Filter Related)

The Stealth Fox

I was recently playing the PS1 SF series again... and I wondered "Man, these games would be so awesome on the PS2!"

I wish there was a traditional (GOOD QUALITY, like SF1 or SF2 standards) Syphon Filter game on the PS2.

PSP owners got Dark Mirror, and I heard that was great, but I don't have a PSP (and I will not get one). But man, a SF1-caliber (music, VA, gameplay, everything) game on the PS2 would be spectacular.

Omega Strain busted... hard.

Any thoughts?

The Stealth Fox said:
I was recently playing the PS1 SF series again... and I wondered "Man, these games would be so awesome on the PS2!"

I wish there was a traditional (GOOD QUALITY, like SF1 or SF2 standards) Syphon Filter game on the PS2.

PSP owners got Dark Mirror, and I heard that was great, but I don't have a PSP (and I will not get one). But man, a SF1-caliber (music, VA, gameplay, everything) game on the PS2 would be spectacular.

Omega Strain busted... hard.

Any thoughts?
Ya.

Get a PSP.

Ya I agree. IMO this is one of the premier franchises Sony has but they treated it like total crap with Syphon Filter 3 and Syphon Filter Omega shit. It was passed from 989 studios to Sony Bend back and forth and I guess that’s how it became a bastard child franchise.

Anyway PS2's time is up and Dark Mirror is awesome. The same team that made Dark Mirror for PSP is working on a PS3 SF game!

wallpaper_syphon_filter_the_omega_strain_01_1024.jpg

The series is going to rock on PS3

Amir0x

Banned
The PSP game is SO GREAT. It's one game I would like to see ported to PS2, actually. I think it's actually true AAA... and I think if they had the extra R/L buttons and analog stick, they could convert it into something that even regular AAA PS2/GC/Xbox titles are jealous of.

It's really that good

Barnolde

Banned
Amir0x said:
The PSP game is SO GREAT. It's one game I would like to see ported to PS2, actually. I think it's actually true AAA... and I think if they had the extra R/L buttons and analog stick, they could convert it into something that even regular AAA PS2/GC/Xbox titles are jealous of.

It's really that good

Dammit Sony, make it happen!

The Stealth Fox

The Abominable Snowman said:
Ya.

Get a PSP.

The PSP is not an option. I love the PSP and I really really want it, but it just simply not an option right now. There's no room for discussion here.

SF1 and SF2 were spectacular games. SF3 was pretty cool, except how they mutilated Gabe's face. Poor Gabe.

The stories were very solid.

Damn anyone remember the park mission in Syphon Filter 1?? Where you have to rescue the hostages in total darkness?? That shit was intense damnit!

The Stealth Fox

Doom_Bringer said:
Damn anyone remember the park mission in Syphon Filter 1?? Where you have to rescue the hostages in total darkness?? That shit was intense damnit!

The park mission is cool. The Jungle Gym made a great SF2 multiplayer level.

I'm listening to Rhoemer's Base Danger music right now.

Pharcom Warehouse pissed me off, repeatedly. SF2 level design was pretty good, except for those stupid super-stealth levels (Aljir Prison, Agency Bio Labs). There was ONE non-stealth mission in SF2 that made me mad, and that was the escape from the Bio Labs. That shit pissed me off so much with the blast suit guys.

The Stealth Fox said:
I'm listening to Rhoemer's base Danger music right now.

Pharcom Warehouse pissed me off, repeatedly.

The park mission is cool. The Jungle Gym made a great SF2 multiplayer level.

ya I really liked that Rhoemer base tune back in the day! I like the sereis for the singleplayer though! Multiplayer is flawed because of the lockon option

You can download the music here
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/777

The Stealth Fox

Doom_Bringer said:
ya I really liked that Rhoemer base tune back in the day! I like the sereis for the singleplayer though! Multiplayer is flawed because of the lockon option

You can download the music here
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/777

That's where I got it from. Another track I like is from SF2... the song that plays when you're on the bridge and you have to get on the rails of the bridge and disarm the 4 bombs. It's got this soft, catchy beat.

Edit: It's the I-70 Mountain Bridge.

The Stealth Fox said:
That's where I got it from. Another track I like is from SF2... the song that plays when you're on the bridge and you have to get on the rails of the bridge and disarm the 4 bombs. It's got this soft, catchy beat.

Edit: It's the I-70 Mountain Bridge.

Yeah the series has pretty good music, Dark Mirror has the best OST though. SF2 was awesome!! Loved the opening glacier level, the train level, bridge, the prison with mental patients on fire leaping to their deaths :lol So memorable!

Did Dark Mirror sell well or what?? Anyone has the LTD?

The Stealth Fox

Doom_Bringer said:
Yeah the series has pretty good music, Dark Mirror has the best OST though. SF2 was awesome!! Loved the opening glacier level, the train level, bridge, the prison with mental patients on fire leaping to their deaths :lol So memorable!

Did Dark Mirror sell well or what?? Anyone has the LTD?

Is the composer for DM the same? I know Eidetic became Sony Bend, but is the staff the same?

The Stealth Fox said:
Is the composer for DM the same? I know Eidetic became Sony Bend, but is the staff the same?

I am betting after Omega Strain that they restructured the company and fired a lot of staff...this would explain the jump of quality from omega strain to Dark mirror.

Let me check on the composer

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I never played SF games on PS1, but having finished SF DM on PSP I completely understand where you're coming from. SF DM really takes some of the best elements of MGS (charm, quirkyness, unexpected and engaging gameplay tasks), Splinter Cell (weapons management, a bit more realistic approach), a bit of RE4 (controls, interesting enemy behavior) games and makes a mix that really works great. It looks and sounds better than most PS2 games on top of that. Now I'm actually really interested in this series and want to play PS1 games.

I have a feeling they really destroyed this franchise with PS2 SF game, as that one was really so crappy that most people probably don't even want to give the PSP version a chance now, thinking it's the same kind of crap.

Multiplayer is flawed because of the lockon option
I'm pretty sure you can chose to host games without the lock-on option.

The Stealth Fox

Doom_Bringer said:
I am betting after Omega Strain that they restructured the company and fired a lot of staff...this would explain the jump of quality from omega strain to Dark mirror.

Let me check on the composer

But it couldn't have been the same staff (for OS) that did the first three SF games, as those were pretty sweet.

Edit: Marconelly, I think he's referring to SF2.

The Stealth Fox said:
But it couldn't have been the same staff (for OS) that did the first three SF games, as those were pretty sweet.

Edit: Marconelly, I think he's referring to SF2.

Like I said in my first post the series was handed to 989 Studio by Eidetic at some point..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I remember the Catacombs in SF1. Holy shit was that hard. You had to be perfect in order to not get spotted.

The Stealth Fox

Doom_Bringer said:
Like I said in my first post the series was handed to 989 Studio by Eidetic at some point..

Err... I missed that... I was staring at that huge-ass wallpaper... lol. That art is much better than SF3 Gabe...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The online multiplayer wasn't that bad in Omega Strain. I played it online for about a month before switching gears to another game. Most of the people you meet who play Omega Strain online, well at least the ones I met, were very much into completing the missions in the fastest times or getting 100% completion ratio. I got the game probably 2-3 weeks after release and all these players online where already geared up with different weapons and gear that they unlocked in single/mulitplayer mode. By then too, I wished Syphon Filter adopted the same controls SOCOM had. I still need to pick up Syphon Filter Dark Mirror myself since I won't be playing SOCOM online for PSP.

Absolutely agree with the topic starter. SF1 and 2 were incredible games I thought and I would love to see one done like that for PS3. I think Sony really mishandled this franchise and it was disappointing, first by putting SF3 on PS1 and then by butchering SF PS2. What I would hope is that they would focus on a single-player game first, I have no need for multiplayer in Syphon Filter.

In the short term, I hope the PS1 SF games are downloadable on PSP pretty soon

The Stealth Fox

GitarooMan said:
Absolutely agree with the topic starter. SF1 and 2 were incredible games I thought and I would love to see one done like that for PS3. I think Sony really mishandled this franchise and it was disappointing, first by putting SF3 on PS1 and then by butchering SF PS2. What I would hope is that they would focus on a single-player game first, I have no need for multiplayer in Syphon Filter.

In the short term, I hope the PS1 SF games are downloadable on PSP pretty soon

Seriously. If SF3 was on PS2... *drools*

Remember the original cover for SF3?

syphonfilter3.jpg

The Stealth Fox said:

Yeah its the same guy - Chuck Doud. He is a senior supervisor at Sony now so I don't he will be going anywhere anytime soon :D He directed the music in Dark Mirror and I guess composed the tracks for SF 1, 2 and 3

Music Director: Chuck Doud

Senior Music Supervisor: Clint Bajakian

Original Music: Mark Snow

Music Remixing and Original Composition: Jonathan Mayer, Lior Rosner

Additional Remixing and Music Editing: Ernest Johnson, Chuck Carr, Monty Mudd, Matt Levine

Music Mixing and Mastering: Larold Rebhun, Casey Stone

Top Bottom