• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if down the line Microsoft or Intel bought AMD?

12Dannu123

I know people will say that isn't possible because due to the Intel monopoly rules. But since that applies to the PC market, but with ARM PCs coming into the market and is predicted to capture the low end and mid size PC market. This would break the monopoly that Intel has and will allow Intel or Microsoft to buy AMD.

The fallout from this would be game changing. Microsoft would able to see everything what Sony has in store, they could in theory be able to sabotage Sony by revoking their license for X86 on PS consoles. Which would force Sony to look to Intel for their processors and since Intel charges much more, expect the PS consoles to be much more expensive for the sake of Backwards Compatibility. Another sabotage that could happen would be that AMD no longer produces X86 chips.

How would this effect the gaming industry. We know the moment ARM becomes big in the PC market, this allows Intel to sabotage AMD.

Last edited:
I dont think Microsoft would buy out AMD. Don't see it happening at all. Microsoft already fucked Sony like this once and it led to the CELL processor.

Also ARM only design processors. They don't actually manufacture them.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I doubt you would see Intel buy AMD because the SEC would probably not allow the merger in most cases.

Can't really see Microsoft having a desire to be in the semiconductor manufacturing business, either. To me that seems a better fit for Sony than Microsoft. But even if they were, if it was for anti-competitive reasons the merger probably would never be approved.

I don't think there's that much spy-vs-spy in the console business. Microsoft and Sony have embraced commodity hardware. There aren't that many secrets left other than how many units of juice they put in the things.

I doubt you would see Intel buy AMD because the SEC would probably not allow the merger in most cases.

Can't really see Microsoft having a desire to be in the semiconductor manufacturing business, either. To me that seems a better fit for Sony than Microsoft. But even if they were, if it was for anti-competitive reasons the merger probably would never be approved.

I don't think there's that much spy-vs-spy in the console business. Microsoft and Sony have embraced commodity hardware. There aren't that many secrets left other than how many units of juice they put in the things.

Based on what? Game console sales? Microsoft is growing their Surface line and has consoles as well. Sony stopped making PCs, so you think they would buy AMD just to make SOCs for consoles? Maybe I am missing something. Apple makes more sense than anyone.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Based on what? Game console sales? Microsoft is growing their Surface line and has consoles as well. Sony stopped making PCs, so you think they would buy AMD just to make SOCs for consoles? Maybe I am missing something. Apple makes more sense than anyone.

I don't think either Sony or Microsoft would want to buy AMD. But if one or the other were going to buy a chip manufacturer I would think it would be the company that makes more consumer electronic devices.

There are more computers in the world than just laptops.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Microsoft? What for?

Only NVIDIA would be a potential buyer but let's keep it a secret. If they ever find it out we will be fucked up. Prices would go up immediately :)

arhra

Can't really see Microsoft having a desire to be in the semiconductor manufacturing business, either.
Buying AMD wouldn't put anyone in the manufacturing business. AMD spun off their foundry arm years ago as GlobalFoundries, and now they're purely a design house.

Not that that makes it any more likely to happen, mind.

llien

Intel would run into anti-monopoly nightmare garden, hence if they'd need to pay NOT to have to buy AMD, they would.

Microsoft would not be able to "revoke the license" from Sony (for starters, Sony isn't producing the chips, AMD does), contract between AMD and Sony cannot be that fucked up for sabotages of this kind to be possible.

I don't recall a single "bought by Microsoft" success story, on the other hand, Nokia fiasco... no thanks.

Anyhow, with Ryzen homerun, Intel's Meltdown fiasco, not that bad outlook of Vega Mobile, most GPUs sold out to miners anyhow, AMD chips powering major consoles, why would AMD go down?

cHaOs667

If someone takes over more then 50% of AMD the x86 license will be revoked and AMD will not be able to manufacture x86 CPUs for anybody.

It is very unlikely that someone will do a takeover in such an situation as they would be forced to acquire a new license from intel.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

Why would Apple buy AMD? They are already in the semiconductor business.

12Dannu123

Intel would run into anti-monopoly nightmare garden, hence if they'd need to pay NOT to have to buy AMD, they would.

Microsoft would not be able to "revoke the license" from Sony (for starters, Sony isn't producing the chips, AMD does), contract between AMD and Sony cannot be that fucked up for sabotages of this kind to be possible.

I don't recall a single "bought by Microsoft" success story, on the other hand, Nokia fiasco... no thanks.

Anyhow, with Ryzen homerun, Intel's Meltdown fiasco, not that bad outlook of Vega Mobile, most GPUs sold out to miners anyhow, AMD chips powering major consoles, why would AMD go down?

LinkedIn, Minecraft, Mixer don't ring a bell?

Mattyp

Gold Member
I don't think either Sony or Microsoft would want to buy AMD. But if one or the other were going to buy a chip manufacturer I would think it would be the company that makes more consumer electronic devices.

Why is Sony even coming into this? They don't have the ability to liquidate 1/5 their worth to buy AMD.

The only companies that have the cash laying around and would be interested and wouldn't be hit with anti consumer like Intel would be Apple, Microsoft and Google. To the other poster Sony only would have a contract for current consoles, anything in the future would have to be recommited. If Microsoft felt any reason to pick up AMD I don't see why they wouldn't work with them but their in the business of making money ie minecraft.

Dredd97

LinkedIn, Minecraft, Mixer don't ring a bell?

pretty sure the implication is hardware not software...

Back on topic.. AMD are doing fine, their foray into supplying graphic components for the Intel SoC is I think going to do well for them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony can’t buy amd. They have very little funds. They are not as bad as they were 3 years ago but not good to spend billions on something. Amd are in no trouble. They wouldn’t sell for pennies.

You think they would invest billions on an x86 license to put them in what? Their failing TV and phone business?

Why would Apple buy AMD? They are already in the semiconductor business.

They don't have an x86 license though. If it weren't for x86 no one would consider buying AMD.

I don't think anyone would buy AMD unless they were a corpse. For the time being AMD is better as a third party seller. Hell even Intel is licensing their products.(GPU)

Last edited:

A.Romero

pretty sure the implication is hardware not software...

Back on topic.. AMD are doing fine, their foray into supplying graphic components for the Intel SoC is I think going to do well for them.

Regarding HW I can only think of Nokia.

That said, I don't think Sony, Microsoft or Apple are interested in AMD.

It would most likely go to an investment firm.

Top Bottom