• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Absolute Best game to date for the Sony PSP?

Tekken DR is the best PSP game

MGS:pO is one of the best games on the PSP, no doubt. but certain clipping poop and shimmering textures keeps it from being the best.

Tekken DR on the PSP is a technical marvel. Namco treats the PSP right and Tekken DR's load times are almost better then the PS2's Tekken 5.

Being able to play a "console perfect" version of GTA3, and GTA: Vice City, on my PSP is the best thing in the world.

So my answer is a tie with GTA:LCS, and GTA:VCS.

As for the people saying Metal Gear Solid:pO, Portable OPS has to be the most overrated game on the PSP.

The controls are unintuitive, the camera system sucks, the mission structure is lacking, the cut-scenes are a disappoint ment for a MGS game.

If Kojima's company had made the game using MGS or MGS2's viewpoint and control system it would have been a hell of a lot better.

Instead we get a watered down version of Snake Eater:Subsistence with worse camera controls, a total loss of freedom in level design, and mediocre cut-scenes.

mysticstylez said:
As for the people saying Metal Gear Solid:pO, Portable OPS has to be the most overrated game on the PSP.

The controls are unintuitive, the camera system sucks, the mission structure is lacking, the cut-scenes are a disappoint ment for a MGS game.

If Kojima's company had made the game using MGS or MGS2's viewpoint and control system it would have been a hell of a lot better.

Instead we get a watered down version of Snake Eater:Subsistence with worse camera controls, a total loss of freedom in level design, and mediocre cut-scenes.

THANK YOU.

Edit - Haha, I just noticed you're mysticstylez from IGN. We agree with each other too much.

Anyway, I'm a huge PSP fan but I can say many people here are full of shit. If you don't like Grand Theft Auto or Daxter and you don't plan on doing SNES/PS1 emulation, the PSP probably isn't worth the $350 you'll need for the system and a 4 gig memory stick (which is absolutely required if you plan to use homebrew or watch TV shows once in awhile or whatever).

ports from other systems excluded...Lumines, Ridge Racers, and MGPO

im most likely forgotten some games, but those 3 are the ones I have in my case and I play them every once in a while.

Grayman

MGPOs camera is fine for me in almost all cases, just have to press L lot if running in circles.

The topdown view would have been better for single player(but the maps would be very different as multi floor buildings don't work well from top down. but would have made online worthless while now it's kinda fun.

The biggest flaw was how easy the game was. Though it might be overrated but it's still a good game.

Avalon

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is my favorite... recommended for anyone who like an unconventional RPG and missed their chance to play it the first time.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is second.

Grayman said:
MGPOs camera is fine for me in almost all cases, just have to press L lot if running in circles.

The topdown view would have been better for single player(but the maps would be very different as multi floor buildings don't work well from top down. but would have made online worthless while now it's kinda fun.

The biggest flaw was how easy the game was. Though it might be overrated but it's still a good game.

Is there a hard mode?

-Rogue5-

Imma go with Daxter. Game is hot. SF's controls are still a little wonky (think of it like using the arrow buttons on a keyboard to control your view) and I haven't beaten all of MGS:pO yet.

Wipeout Pure, RR, and even GTA:LCS are all decent though.

Grayman said:

Sure it would suck for multiplayer, but MGS games were never all about multiplayer. It was about the engrossing (albeit sometimes confusing) storylines, and over the top cutscenes, and kickass graphics and voice acting/music/sound effects.

My favorite exclusive is Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror.
At first I didn't give the game a chance because the controls are much different than what i'm used to. While I was bored during the summer I finally put a good amount of time into it, I ended up getting used to the controls fast. Excellent Game.

I only played Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops for about 20 minutes. I guess I should try to get into it, like SF: DA.

Grayman

Graphics Horse said:
Is there a hard mode?
It jumps from normal to extreme. I've heard it gets harder but am not sure by how much. Gaurds only stay knocked out for about 10 seconds.

I figure that if you were properly prepared(had silenced rifles) it would be just like normal. playing from scratch maybe it's hard.

Durante

I guess only real PSP games count?
Then it's still the same one I bought with my launch PSP: Wipeout Pure.
(But with many more tracks, no UMD, completely smooth FPS and smaller load times now :D)

ghibli99

Based on the amount of time I've put into it, DJ Max Portable by a landslide. It has some flaws, but Pentavision blew me away with the production value, music quality, and for being better (in some ways) than the IIDX games it was inspired by.

And I agree... DJMP2 is long overdue. I'll take *any* sort of announcement at this point.

Wipeout Pure and Lumines came out on Day 1 of the PSP launch, and are still the best games on PSP today. Play both of them still at least once a month. Burnout Legends is another good game that I don't think gets enough love.

Syphon Filter rocks because it really is a complete package. Great graphics with lots of fancy effects and filters, awesome guns, good scenario design, an excellent rank/unlock system, a lot of bonus content, incidental humor (pushing that dude into the centrifuge, etc), online play, hell it even has ragdoll deaths. I really hope they make an SF for PS3, a good console SF is so long overdue it's ridiculous.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is also awesome in part thanks to the sleep mode feature of the PSP. I can't tell you how convenient it is to be able to stop playing in the middle of securing an Einherjar. Bring on FFT: The Lion War.

Ramune

slidewinder said:
Definitely the most addictive game I've played on the PSP.

I'll 3rd this recommendation, although MHF2 should be coming our way real soon. I think the only thing that would make it even better would be online play (did the Japanese get it in their version?)

Also the two Mega Man games, Exit, VP:L, Outrun 2006, and Tekken: DR get a hardly recommendation (since they are games I own). I love my DS, but there's some awesome games for the PSP as well. And you only have Sony to blame for not bringing more potential hits, and everything besides the color black outside of Asia.

Rahxephon91:

There's a International version of DJ:Max Portable that was released last year that is in English. Also includes one new song compared to the original. I would get that one. In fact I NEED to get it....when I get the money that is.

Play-Asia Link

Red Blaster said:
Syphon Filter rocks because it really is a complete package. Great graphics with lots of fancy effects and filters, awesome guns, good scenario design, an excellent rank/unlock system, a lot of bonus content, incidental humor (pushing that dude into the centrifuge, etc), online play, hell it even has ragdoll deaths. I really hope they make an SF for PS3, a good console SF is so long overdue it's ridiculous.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is also awesome in part thanks to the sleep mode feature of the PSP. I can't tell you how convenient it is to be able to stop playing in the middle of securing an Einherjar. Bring on FFT: The Lion War.

seriously...once you get down the fundementals of VP:Lenneth, its flat out manufactured crank!
Sleep mode is such a blessing as well

Eagerly anticipating FFT also :D

Definitely Metal Gear: Portable Ops...

I think recruiting soldiers from all around the globe is getting a little addictive.

Even MTV posted news about kids going around WiFi at Times Square, recruiting allies... :)

ghibli99

Rahxephon91 said:
So DJ Max Portable is good. How import friendly is it?
Aside from the initial autosave screen, which is in Korean (it's easy enough to figure out), just about everything is in English, except for some song titles. It's one of the most import-friendly games out there.

Brofist

wow serious answers. I expected half the answers to be PS1 games :p

For me there was something about Daxter I really liked, even though it got repetitive.

The GTA games, MG, Ridge Racers, Tekken DR are all great games as well.

Ramune said:
I'll 3rd this recommendation, although MHF2 should be coming our way real soon. I think the only thing that would make it even better would be online play (did the Japanese get it in their version?)
Nope, unfortunately:
MH Portable 2nd, uses ad-hoc for multiplayer again (unfortunately, not infrastructure). I assure you, we (the US and European offices) pushed very hard for infrastructure based multiplayer but the team did not have time to impliment such a feature.

Christian Svensson
Capcom Entertainment Inc. - Sr. Director of Strategic Planning & Research

Top Bottom