• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best arcade basketball game around?

A friend came over, and we decided to play some games. Since I had finally gotten a two player PS2 controller for my PC, we decided to boot up MAME and play some games. First we playes Last Blade 2, which was great fun. Then SF2, which was kickass as well. Then some MKII, but neither of could remember the fatalities. After that some Metal Slug.

Then, for almost no reason I picked NBA JAM. I had great memories of it, but it looks so ugly now. Still, it was by far the most fun game we played. Nothing but back and forth shit talking and fast action. Seriously, the game still rules with a friend. It was really, really fucking fun.

nbajam01.gif

Its so good, I'm thinking of getting one of the new arcade basketball games. NBA street is the best? What about the new NBA Jam? I read someones impressions and they said its slow? WTF, the best thing about old NBA JAM is the fast back and forth action.

Anyhow, if you have the game give it a whirl with a friend. Its still great fun. BOOM SHAKA LAKA!

DMczaf

Cant go wrong with both NBA Street Vol 2 and NBA Ballers, pick them both up!

Now if only EA will announce NBA Street Vol 3!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Biff Hardbody said:
I can only pick up one now, I think. Which is better, Ballers or Street?

I honestly don't know. Street is probably a little better for multiplayer, while Ballers has better single. You can get street for less than $20 and ballers for less than $35 probably, so if money is the main issue get the second street. But if you're a junkie get Ballers eventually it totally lived up to the reviews.

Cool fellahs...I'm going to trade in some games and see if I can get both.

Is Street more over the top then Ballers? I mean big dunks and things of that nature.

I looked at Ballers and saw it had a really cool create a player mode. Does street have anything like that?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Biff Hardbody said:
Cool fellahs...I'm going to trade in some games and see if I can get both.

Is Street more over the top then Ballers? I mean big dunks and things of that nature.

I looked at Ballers and saw it had a really cool create a player mode. Does street have anything like that?

Street is a little more over the top with the dunks and such but Ballers has plenty of unrealistic madness. Street has a create a player and single player track that is plenty of fun just not quite as deep. They both have hours of enjoyment to be sure. Ballers is a bit harder.

Fifty

I prefer Ballers. It is 1on1 however. So basically one move can get you an uncontested dunk.. Both games are great.

bjork

Pat Riley Basketball on Genesis.

Any game that allows you to steal the ball EVERY TIME and win a basketball game by way of shutout has to rule.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Biff Hardbody said:
Am I too much of a square to play a B-Ball game?

Yes you are. Face it BiffR j00 just aint cut out for B-ball games homeslice. Stick to wrestling games and your Rowdy Rowdy Piper wallscroll ;)

isamu said:
Yes you are. Face it BiffR j00 just aint cut out for B-ball games homeslice. Stick to wrestling games and your Rowdy Rowdy Piper wallscroll ;)

I'll have you know my real name is Biff "White Choclate" Hardbody. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it sonny boy. I got game.

Holy leeping Jesus, NBA street is one of the greatest games I have ever played!!!

It makes me want to play B Ball, and I do live near the cage. Does Biff dare to become a street ball legend???

Seriously, this game is insanely good. I traded in Showdown Legends of wrestling (GS gave me a whopping 17 bucks), and I snagged the last copy of NBA street 2 they had. I could never go back to NBA Jam after this...

Oh yeah, I also got Ballers. :D I went to EB, and they were charging $40 for it, no one else around me has an X-Box copy. I had my copy of Riddick with me, and they gave me $35 for it! Most I ever got for a trade in game.

I haven't even touched ballers yet, that's how good street is...Jesus christ, its so much fun.

Fifty

Awesome. I hope you like Ballers, I really do. But if you love Street that much it's kind of a shame that you bought both.

DMczaf

Biff Hardbody said:
Holy leeping Jesus, NBA street is one of the greatest games I have ever played!!!

It makes me want to play B Ball, and I do live near the cage. Does Biff dare to become a street ball legend???

Seriously, this game is insanely good. I traded in Showdown Legends of wrestling (GS gave me a whopping 17 bucks), and I snagged the last copy of NBA street 2 they had. I could never go back to NBA Jam after this...

Oh yeah, I also got Ballers. :D I went to EB, and they were charging $40 for it, no one else around me has an X-Box copy. I had my copy of Riddick with me, and they gave me $35 for it! Most I ever got for a trade in game.

I haven't even touched ballers yet, that's how good street is...Jesus christ, its so much fun.

NBA Street Vol 2 owns you!

Fifty said:
Awesome. I hope you like Ballers, I really do. But if you love Street that much it's kind of a shame that you bought both.

No shame at all. I likes my sport games in the double packages. I'm sure ballers will be a nice change of pace...I was reading all the different impressions on it, and it sounds like a great game. The movies I saw looked really cool, and somewhat different from street.

Hell, I wasn't enjoying Riddick, and yesterday I was playing a sucky wrestling game...having a great sports game ussually only happens with football for me. Plus my b ball playing friend is coming over tomorrow, so we can OD on these two. Now let me see how ballers plays...:D

NBA Street Vol 2 owns you!

Yes, it does sir.

robot

NBA Jam was classic. And I thought I was the only person who liked Run N Gun. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a working version for Mame.

Ristamar

These days I gotta go with NBA Street Vol. 2.

The original NBA Jam was awesome for its time. My friends and I had tons of 4-player sessions on the SNES.

I also played a lot of Run'n'Gun in the arcade.

It's gotta be NBA Hangtime for me, specifically the arcade version NBA Maximum Hangtime. I've put a ridiculous amount of time into that game.

I just got playing Ballers. I dig it, but right now its being brushed aside for Street. I think one of the reasons I'm not getting into Ballers as much is that its harder and I don't understand the controls as well. The tutorial in street gave me an idea of what to do, but I'm a little lost in Ballers. That said, I really like Ballers. The 1 on 1 game is a nice change of pace, and the action is harder hitting then street.

Street is just pure fun though. I like the 3 on 3 aspect more. The dunks. The game breakers. Most of all, I love the atmosphere. Ballers atmosphere I'm not so crazy about, but street...its so damn cool and fun. The commentator, the courts...the whole action is terrific.

Thanks for the recommendations.

TheDiave

Banned
I miss the original NBA: In The Zone for the PlayStation. Wish I hadn't traded it in way back when, cuz now I can't find a copy anywhere.

Top Bottom